Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits

What's your go-to bar/restaurant on Gameday?

This last football season was tough. No fans in the stands, no pregame tailgating parties, etc. The Gameday atmosphere was completely sucked out which sucks, and hopefully we can return to some kind of normal for the 2021 season.

That being said, I am interested in what your school has to offer as far as pregame tailgate or bar/restaurant spots before the game. What does your school has to offer?

I'll go first.

As far as walking distance, Fresno State really doesn't have anything you can walk to from the stadium. Across the street in the Bulldog Shop shopping center, that has a few takeout places, but nothing really that screams game day. Bulldog Burger Bistro offers drinks and good food, but it is pretty small. https://www.yelp.com/biz/bulldog-burger-bistro-fresno .Our tailgate scene is pretty big and that pretty much dominates the pregame parties around the stadium, located on the western edge of campus between campus and the fraternities/sororities. Both grass lots on each side of the stadium are great for tailgating. 

On the Eastern Side of Campus near the Savemart Center, Doghouse Grill, located across from the SaveMart Center, is the most popular spot. Sports bar with a bunch of TV that offers burgers, fries, and our famous tri-tip sandwiches. https://www.yelp.com/biz/dog-house-grill-fresno-2

Up next is the Red Wave Inn, located across from campus just down the street from DogHouse Grill. This dive bar has been around since the 1980s and offers really good Red Beers and Mexican food. A go-to lunch spot for students. Walking to the stadium from here is definitely doable. Probably a 1mile walk.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-wave-inn-fresno

Campus Pointe is a fairly new retail center located just east of the SaveMart Center on Fresno State's property that has a wide variety of food options. Wahoo's Fish Tacos and Mad Duck Craft Brewing are the 2 main places to catch some food and drinks before a SaveMart Center event or football game. Shuttle services are provided for visitors parking on that side of campus and will drop you off right at the stadium. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

I usually just hit the pipe in the parking lot porta-potti and swig some MD20/20 to take the edge off before I head in

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

17 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

This last football season was tough. No fans in the stands, no pregame tailgating parties, etc. The Gameday atmosphere was completely sucked out which sucks, and hopefully we can return to some kind of normal for the 2021 season.

That being said, I am interested in what your school has to offer as far as pregame tailgate or bar/restaurant spots before the game. What does your school has to offer?

I'll go first.

As far as walking distance, Fresno State really doesn't have anything you can walk to from the stadium. Across the street in the Bulldog Shop shopping center, that has a few takeout places, but nothing really that screams game day. Bulldog Burger Bistro offers drinks and good food, but it is pretty small. https://www.yelp.com/biz/bulldog-burger-bistro-fresno .Our tailgate scene is pretty big and that pretty much dominates the pregame parties around the stadium, located on the western edge of campus between campus and the fraternities/sororities. Both grass lots on each side of the stadium are great for tailgating. 

On the Eastern Side of Campus near the Savemart Center, Doghouse Grill, located across from the SaveMart Center, is the most popular spot. Sports bar with a bunch of TV that offers burgers, fries, and our famous tri-tip sandwiches. https://www.yelp.com/biz/dog-house-grill-fresno-2

Up next is the Red Wave Inn, located across from campus just down the street from DogHouse Grill. This dive bar has been around since the 1980s and offers really good Red Beers and Mexican food. A go-to lunch spot for students. Walking to the stadium from here is definitely doable. Probably a 1mile walk.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-wave-inn-fresno

Campus Pointe is a fairly new retail center located just east of the SaveMart Center on Fresno State's property that has a wide variety of food options. Wahoo's Fish Tacos and Mad Duck Craft Brewing are the 2 main places to catch some food and drinks before a SaveMart Center event or football game. Shuttle services are provided for visitors parking on that side of campus and will drop you off right at the stadium. 

I usually go to Doghouse Grill, but I'll also hit up Tacos Marquitos over on the corner of Cedar and Barstow in the Bulldog Shop parking lot. They have the Bulldog carne asada burrito that is huge. That was usually my go-to taco spot when I was a student. I also went to Double Play Pizza over in Clovis, but unfortunately they closed down. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

45 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I usually go to Doghouse Grill, but I'll also hit up Tacos Marquitos over on the corner of Cedar and Barstow in the Bulldog Shop parking lot. They have the Bulldog carne asada burrito that is huge. That was usually my go-to taco spot when I was a student. I also went to Double Play Pizza over in Clovis, but they unfortunately they closed down. 

Ah yes, how can I forget about Tacos Marquitos! The Bulldog Burrito is a great choice, and you get a free soft drink if you showed your student ID.  I didn't go there for lunch often. I went there more the morning after a night of drinking to help my hangover. Either got that or the chorizo breakfast burrito. Swiggs was also a cool bar too, but unfortunately they closed down as well. 

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

SDSU - Effin's (RIP) as a student.  As an alum, it is strictly  tailgating.

UNC - Top of the Hill or R&R Grill (RIP)

Aztecs should have a nice pregame atmosphere with that new stadium being built. 

13 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I usually go to Doghouse Grill, but I'll also hit up Tacos Marquitos over on the corner of Cedar and Barstow in the Bulldog Shop parking lot. They have the Bulldog carne asada burrito that is huge. That was usually my go-to taco spot when I was a student. I also went to Double Play Pizza over in Clovis, but they unfortunately they closed down. 

My wife is from Visalia and has told me several times I need to try Doghouse Grill. Next time I'm in Fresno I'll swing by per your recommendation. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

A little dive two blocks away from the house if I'm not at the game.  Tailgate only if I go.

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the superior lifestyle town, but there was this burger joint that offered a burger with Krispy Kreme doughnuts as buns in the older part of town. That place was fantastic but can't remember the name. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

My wife is from Visalia and has told me several times I need to try Doghouse Grill. Next time I'm in Fresno I'll swing by per your recommendation. 

Their signature items are the tri-tip sandwiches and a basket of fries. They get you with the 1-2 punch by using sweet bbq sauce on the sandwich and a heavy dose of seasoning salt on the fries. It's the perfect combination of sweet and salty then to wash it down with an ice cold beer. 

Screenshot_20210223-071602_Maps.jpg.c60395e24cbbf509a6dbde84ac20e9fd.jpg

Screenshot_20210223-071637_Maps.jpg.6673efe4b61f41f29cd7d246284eb230.jpg

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

14 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Aztecs should have a nice pregame atmosphere with that new stadium being built. 

If they open up the old road into the site, McGregor's will be the go-to until the rest of the area is developed.  Right now McGregor's and some chain joints are the closest, but not great for calling it THE spot for pre/post game.  It may take years to get a bar/restaurant built on the site, but not quite sure.  The trolley line sort of dissipates a high-density site for Aztec fans at bars, since the options are spread out and accessible.   A good problem for people individually, but certainly has a hinderance on a boisterous, well-established Aztec pre-game bar scene

17 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

For Boise:

Piehole Pizza - get the Potato Bacon ($2.92 per slice). A PBR ($1.18) to drink.

image.png.64f818b5255fb53c6ab3865a81faaa0d.png

Is Pie Hole the bar with the decent sized outdoor area, or was that End Zone?  Which ever one had that, was the pre-game spot for me.  And Boise is so nice, they made a bar for Aztec fans to enjoy a victory.  Nice little dive, and easy to meet some BSU athletes there. 

36943985156_9c53fea6f5_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Is Pie Hole the bar with the decent sized outdoor area, or was that End Zone?  Which ever one had that, was the pre-game spot for me.  And Boise is so nice, they made a bar for Aztec fans to enjoy a victory.  Nice little dive, and easy to meet some BSU athletes there.

Pie Hole just a pizza joint (open until like 4 am) that serves beers; the End Zone and SUDS are the dive bars on either side.

image.png.b7c8f76b82e486adeedcbc06225082e0.png

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

36943985156_9c53fea6f5_b.jpg

End Zone’s outdoor area is in the backyard (likely that one you’re talking about) Suds is only temporary (game day) at the entrance and has a small gated outdoor area facing Broadway.  

Suds was my go to for pregame home games and also away games when I lived in Boise.  Pizza, Papa Joe’s > Pie Hole. 

Now that I’m no longer in Boise I watch the games at home, I need to hear the sound of the game - and I have a much better bourbon selection.  It’s likely that I’ll get season tickets for UCF, have friends that are season ticket holders and tailgate.