Jump to content
ProvoAggie

No Fans at the Conference Tournament

Recommended Posts

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

honestly, who would risk going to Vegas right now? Unless your old enough or are in a profession where you've been able to get the vaccine already.

I would and according to our governor, who claims he is following the science, T&M is allowed to have 3,600 fans.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

F****

Yeah kinda expected this but still had hope cause they were delaying announcing it. Oh well. 

Here is hopefully the bwt actual follows science and allows some fans. But I highly doubt it cause 10 of the 11 schools are from cali and they are playing in a much smaller venue in vegas. 

I guess my next hope is no schools have to skip the tournament cause of covid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

honestly, who would risk going to Vegas right now? Unless your old enough or are in a profession where you've been able to get the vaccine already.

Uh, lots of people. Very few are like you

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

I would and according to our governor, who claims he is following the science, T&M is allowed to have 3,600 fans.  

I would also. 

Plus allowing a few thousand fans in upper bowl is ZERO risk to athletes. And adults can decide if they wanna attend. Plus at least a third of the country has already had covid or gotten the vaccine.

This move is garbage by the mw and is pathetic.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Here is hopefully the bwt actual follows science and allows some fans. But I highly doubt it cause 10 of the 11 schools are from cali and they are playing in a much smaller venue in vegas. 

They announced no fans today as well.

https://bigwest.org/news/2021/2/22/general-big-west-announces-basketball-championship-will-be-held-without-fans.aspx

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

honestly, who would risk going to Vegas right now? Unless your old enough or are in a profession where you've been able to get the vaccine already.

I'd have a hard time convincing my wife to go to Vegas again, but I'd want to go.  The most vulnerable have already been vaccinated and I am very low risk and don't have much contact at all with old people. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

honestly, who would risk going to Vegas right now? Unless your old enough or are in a profession where you've been able to get the vaccine already.

Anyone who has already had covid. Anyone who has had vaccine. Anyone that is at minimum risk from covid (ie at least somewhat healthy and under 50). So probably like 80% of the usa population are in one of those groups.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

I would and according to our governor, who claims he is following the science, T&M is allowed to have 3,600 fans.  

Would be 10000% safe for players if you allowed that many fans. The fans might be at a minimal increased risk but that is the case anytime you go to any large gathering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Would be 10000% safe for players if you allowed that many fans. The fans might be at a minimal increased risk but that is the case anytime you go to any large gathering.

Announcers for one of the USU-BSU games were trying to make the argument that Vegas didn't have enough hotels to practice social-distancing for the numbers of teams that were going to be there.  If there's one thing Vegas doesn't have, it sure as shit isn't lack of hotel space during a pandemic.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I have this nagging feeling that the tournament itself will end up being cancelled. 

Well they should just decide already. They already have the data

Covid cases are rapidly decreasing, ppl are slowly being vaccinated.

There will be somewhere from 0-2 teams the opt out of mwt cause of covid. It seems like the mw has been averaging 1 team with covid issues a week. Depending on which team(s) have to opt out it might have zero effect on the integrity of the tournament. I mean it is just the top 5 that have any legit chance to win. A 6-11 might pull a huge upset but they are not winning 4 in a row. 

Ncaat bids. Without mwt my guess is 2 with mwt 2-3 bids. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Well they should just decide already. They already have the data

Covid cases are rapidly decreasing, ppl are slowly being vaccinated.

There will be somewhere from 0-2 teams the opt out of mwt cause of covid. It seems like the mw has been averaging 1 team with covid issues a week. Depending on which team(s) have to opt out it might have zero effect on the integrity of the tournament. I mean it is just the top 5 that have any legit chance to win. A 6-11 might pull a huge upset but they are not winning 4 in a row. 

Ncaat bids. Without mwt my guess is 2 with mwt 2-3 bids. 

I’m with you 100%.  But if they’re not allowing crowds when local health authorities have said its OK for people to attend, my concern is that the MWC brass will find a way to shut it down for the smallest of reasons. We’ll see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

honestly, who would risk going to Vegas right now? Unless your old enough or are in a profession where you've been able to get the vaccine already.

Or unless you're 65 and just got your second vaccination?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Or unless you're 65 and just got your second vaccination?

I think it takes up to 14 days after 2nd vaccination for full protection. Me personally (not medical advice) if I was 65 plus I would go as long as it has been at least a week since 2nd vaccine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps people have already forgotten about the COVID variants that have emerged from South Africa and the UK lately?  They have already reached U.S. shores.  If there are no fans, then so be it.  It's not much different compared to how the season has panned out anyways.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thedude15 said:

I think it takes up to 14 days after 2nd vaccination for full protection. Me personally (not medical advice) if I was 65 plus I would go as long as it has been at least a week since 2nd vaccine. 

I appreciate the advice and fwiw, I'll be in LV on Thursday which will be exactly a week since my second vaccine. As an additional precaution I'm going to drive rather than fly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

Perhaps people have already forgotten about the COVID variants that have emerged from South Africa and the UK lately?  They have already reached U.S. shores.  If there are no fans, then so be it.  It's not much different compared to how the season has panned out anyways.

I get that too. But it's now been about exactly a year since it was confirmed that COVID was in our country.

Meanwhile, rent for one-bedroom apartments in San Francisco have dropped just a tick below a whopping 30%. Why? Because so many renters have become underemployed if not unemployed and had to move over to the East Bay where rents accordingly have not dropped despite some of those people undoubtedly having to move themselves to crummy areas like Tracy. And meanwhile, numerous studies have shown that education quality for children has diminished considerably because of so few in-person classes and similar studies have shown that kids' emotional health has measurably declined overall because of minimal in-person interaction with peers.

I admit to having erroneously put some faith in our idiot president on the COVID issue during the first 4-5 months of the pandemic. However, now that almost 20% of the population has been vaccinated and that number is expected to have tripled by this summer, IMO it's time to begin gradually opening things up again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...