Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happycamper

So... are we going to come to a bipartisan consensus that the country needs a massive infrastructure investment?

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

So we went from "we need a bipartisan push to keep America's infrastructure from falling apart" to "poor widdle soupslam didn't get a fat contract 12 years ago"...?

That’s all you can come up when I showed you were wrong board Nazi. Lol. Keep designing those custom built homes for wealthy people.

More like never trust a Democrat president when it comes to funding infrastructure. Ten cents on the dollar will get spent on infrastructure, the rest to line the pockets of Democrat cronies like happened under Obama. 

Have you looked at the Democrat pork laden stimulus bill lately? 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

That’s all you can come up when I showed you were wrong board Nazi. Lol. Keep designing those custom built homes for wealthy people.

More like never trust a Democrat president when it comes to funding infrastructure. Ten cents on the dollar will get spent on infrastructure, the rest to line the pockets of Democrat cronies like happened under Obama. 

What the +++++ are you talking about?

Dude I started a thread talking about the need to invest trillions into four different facets of national infrastructure, which you twisted into a pity party about how Obama didn't give poor lil soup enough bux. 

Christ you are a pathetic little bitch

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, happycamper said:

Our dams, roads, airports, and power network are all well past their replacement cycles. That infrastructure is what makes us a first world nation. Are we finally going to bite the bullet and spend the trillions we've been deferring on things that, uh, matter?

Our power grid structure is basically an antique.   Dams,  well no clue if we need more or not?  I do know the farmers really don't want to lose what we have.    Airports need some help but are roads really that bad?  I say that being from a more rural area all my life and not having road issues to speak of.  I would focus on Public transportation, bullet trains, and light rail over roads frankly.

27 minutes ago, Bob said:

Specifically what infrastructure is not currently being replaced as needed? This type of shit doesn't interest me all that much

Congested highways add 75 billion to the cost of transporting goods.  This cost is passed onto the consumer.  32% of our roads in metro areas are in bad shape.  This adds tens of billions to the wear and tear on vehicles each year.  Our bridges are in bad shape and decades behind in needed maintenance. Our schools, especially elementary schools are in bad shape leading to uncomfortable conditions that hinder the learning environment.  Our nuclear plants are going offline and not being replaced.  Our airports are congested and getting worse (pre covid).  Lack of treatment plants for wastewater poses health and environmental concerns. A modern "smart" grid would save us soooo many future headaches.  

Speaking of China, they are outspending us on infrastructure by over 200%.  

We need about 5 trillion dumped in.  Needs to come from a combination of State, Federal and private funds.

Toll roads and bridges should probably become a bigger thing.

4 minutes ago, Billings said:

Our power grid structure is basically an antique.   Dams,  well no clue if we need more or not?  I do know the farmers really don't want to lose what we have.    Airports needs some help but are roads rally that bad?  I say that being from a more rural area all my life and not have road issues to speak of.  I would focus on Public transportation, bullet trains, and light rail over roads frankly.

Roads are really bad.  See my post above.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

You man this act?  "Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. At a moment of economic peril, the Recovery Act provided a critical ‘shot in the arm’ to the American economy. It made millions of jobs possible and, in 2010 alone, lowered unemployment by as much as 1.8 percent while raising GDP by up to four percent. It was also an important step toward economic turnaround in subsequent years, with unemployment at the start of 2017 less than half of what it was at the peak of the recession." 

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/02/22/eight-years-later-what-the-recovery-act-taught-us/

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Roads are really bad.  See my post above.

The solution can't be to just add more lanes though.  I know bridges are in horrible shape in much of the country.  Montana has rebuilt a lot of bridges since 2010 with that $$.  AS EV cars come on line there will be less and less gas tax to cover road maintenance.  We need a new way to fund the transportation sector.  It is costing us a fortune and driving up the price of goods in the country.

2 minutes ago, Billings said:

The solution can't be to just add more lanes though.  I know bridges are in horrible shape in much of the country.  Montana has rebuilt a lot of bridges since 2010 with that $$.

Not sure but we are about 900 billion behind in needed repairs to roads and bridges, just to fix what we currently already have.

I think adding lanes is part of it.  A lane for electric and hybrid cars, and a lane for truckers would help congestion.  

Light rail systems like you mentioned between suburbs and cities would help too.

54 minutes ago, Bob said:

Specifically what infrastructure is not currently being replaced as needed? This type of shit doesn't interest me all that much. Levees seem like an obvious one

All sorts of stuff.

Levees as you say are insufficient.

Dams are aging. Dams give us water for ag, power not just for houses and industry but to move the water for irrigation. @halfmanhalfbronco had a great thread on retiring some old dams that would require a pretty expensive investment that overall would improve infrastructure in that area and provide both jobs and more salmon/ecologically sound practices. I'd probably focus on dams first cause starving to death is bad.

Our power grid is based on a 30 year replacement cycle; we're on year 55 or so. A big part of why there are so many fires around Oregon is the power lines get blown around in massive gusts down the Columbia gorge. Bury those lines and that's far fewer fires. Furthermore, our grid is overtaxed. The Texas grid only didn't fail because it imported power from Mexico; the eastern grid didn't fail because we imported power from Canada. The physical infrastructure is decaying.

Roads are beat up and as halfman said add tons of cost. There's billions and billions in critical bridges that are well past needing replaced. This isn't an improvement so much as "staying a first world country". 

Our air infrastructure is pretty overtaxed. investing in current airports would reduce the cost of flight and add flexibility.

Like you said, it isn't addressed cause it's boring as hell. But shit that's the part of government we need the most. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

59 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Congested highways add 75 billion to the cost of transporting goods.  This cost is passed onto the consumer.  32% of our roads in metro areas are in bad shape.  This adds tens of billions to the wear and tear on vehicles each year.  Our bridges are in bad shape and decades behind in needed maintenance. Our schools, especially elementary schools are in bad shape leading to uncomfortable conditions that hinder the learning environment.  Our nuclear plants are going offline and not being replaced.  Our airports are congested and getting worse (pre covid).  Lack of treatment plants for wastewater poses health and environmental concerns. A modern "smart" grid would save us soooo many future headaches.  

Speaking of China, they are outspending us on infrastructure by over 200%.  

We need about 5 trillion dumped in.  Needs to come from a combination of State, Federal and private funds.

Toll roads and bridges should probably become a bigger thing.

Congested highways aren't fixed by adding lanes. And roads being in bad shape don't really hurt the economy. 

Schools are mostly state and locally-funded.  Idaho's do suck though from what I've seen.

Nuclear plants - I agree.

Airports - don't see a problem with what we have.  Should be locally funded anyway. Wastewater is the same deal.

Smart grids are starting to happen, but again that has a lot to do with regional utilities more than federal governments. 

I'm with Bob on this one. Spending on infrastructure is a state and local responsibility much more than a federal one.

Didn't Trump promise to fix infrastructure? What happened with that?

BTW the Roads N Shit party would have a complete overhaul fully funded and ready to go within months. Just need some wealthy folks to croak.

Not only would we build roads, we'd provide an invaluable character-building opportunity for rich kids to compete in the rugged free market!

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Congested highways aren't fixed by adding lanes. And roads being in bad shape don't really hurt the economy. 

Schools are mostly state and locally-funded.  Idaho's do suck though from what I've seen.

Airports - don't see a problem with what we have.  Should be locally funded anyway. Wastewater is the same deal.

Smart grids are starting to happen, but again that has a lot to do with regional utilities more than federal governments. 

I'm with Bob on this one. Spending on infrastructure is a state and local responsibility much more than a federal one.

why do you hate the constitution

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Adding lanes certainly does help highway congestion.  It increases the carrying capacity.  A large pipe (insert yer mom joke here) can carry more water.  

https://mobility.tamu.edu/mip/strategies-pdfs/added-capacity/technical-summary/adding-new-lanes-or-roads-4-pg.pdf

Old beat up roads are hard on vehicles and cars and even cause accidents.

https://www.gilmanbedigian.com/accidents-caused-by-poor-road-quality-and-conditions-in-dc#:~:text=Accidents Caused by Poor Road Conditions&text=Roads can deteriorate to the level where they become dangerous.&text=Uneven road surfaces can cause,driver%2C passengers%2C and pedestrians.

As Happy alluded towards, our dams aging.  The 4 on the Snake.  The dams on the Missouri could lead to the type of death and destruction of a tsunami.  

https://www.engineering.com/story/nothing-but-bad-choices-the-aging-dam-system-behind-the-missouri-flood

Wastewater should be a local thing.  Lot's of things "should" be local things.  However take a look at Flint.  If things are not being done at the local level for lack of funding it can have severe impacts.  Waste water accidents that happen in one locale can have big impacts on areas hundreds miles away.

The aging power grid?  A metric shit ton of federal money is being spent to combat the effects, why not start attacking the cause and ultimately save tax dollars.

I agree it should not all fall on the federal government.  But the federal government has a role to play.  State and Private, too.

10 hours ago, happycamper said:

Our dams, roads, airports, and power network are all well past their replacement cycles. That infrastructure is what makes us a first world nation. Are we finally going to bite the bullet and spend the trillions we've been deferring on things that, uh, matter?

Nobody wins an election anymore for doing the right thing.  Legislative accomplishment takes an ever increasing backseat to brand.  Both sides are guilty of it.  So no, there will be no bipartisan anything.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

More like never trust a Democrat president when it comes to funding infrastructure. Ten cents on the dollar will get spent on infrastructure, the rest to line the pockets of Democrat cronies like happened under Obama. every President except Ike.

Have you looked at the Democrat every pork laden stimulus bill lately ever

I FIFY.. YW

3 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

Didn't Trump promise to fix infrastructure? What happened with that?

BTW the Roads N Shit party would have a complete overhaul fully funded and ready to go within months. Just need some wealthy folks to croak.

Not only would we build roads, we'd provide an invaluable character-building opportunity for rich kids to compete in the rugged free market!

Doc Brown Fly GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

4 hours ago, Billings said:

You man this act?  "Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. At a moment of economic peril, the Recovery Act provided a critical ‘shot in the arm’ to the American economy. It made millions of jobs possible and, in 2010 alone, lowered unemployment by as much as 1.8 percent while raising GDP by up to four percent. It was also an important step toward economic turnaround in subsequent years, with unemployment at the start of 2017 less than half of what it was at the peak of the recession." 

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/02/22/eight-years-later-what-the-recovery-act-taught-us/

Yeah, but the we had to Make America Great Again immediately after, and caused an insurrection. So what good did it really do? :ph34r:

15 hours ago, happycamper said:

It will inch along because the left will demand LEED Certification that Jack’s the prices up and doesn’t amount to much. 

They recently built the Xcel Energy Building Downtown Denver where I worked on the 5th floor for  5 years. The urinal used no water, just a round green deodorizer. After stinking so bad for months, construction returned to install normal water urinal. Who thought of that idea should be shot. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It will inch along because the left will demand LEED Certification that Jack’s the prices up and doesn’t amount to much. 

They recently built the Xcel Energy Building Downtown Denver where I worked on the 5th floor for  5 years. The urinal used no water, just a round green deodorizer. After stinking so bad for months, construction returned to install normal water urinal. Who thought of that idea should be shot. 

leed...dams?