Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetropolitanCowboy

Fresno State Basketball

Why so mediocre over the years? Honest question, not trying to troll....

Seems like they have potential to be on SDSU's level, yet it seems like every year that they are floundering near the middle of the standings. Seems to have been an issue for years and years. Lots of talent in the Valley, especially around Fresno...seems like they could build a good team from there and SoCal. 

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Why so mediocre over the years? Honest question, not trying to troll....

Seems like they have potential to be on SDSU's level, yet it seems like every year that they are floundering near the middle of the standings. Seems to have been an issue for years and years. Lots of talent in the Valley, especially around Fresno...seems like they could build a good team from there and SoCal. 

Currently, Hutson is recruiting players that are not good shooters to put it simply.  We are a terrible shooting team which translates into mediocre production.  I'm not a fan from what I've seen from Hutson so far.

45 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Currently, Hutson is recruiting players that are not good shooters to put it simply.  We are a terrible shooting team which translates into mediocre production.  I'm not a fan from what I've seen from Hutson so far.

Yeah but they play good defense. Some coaches seem to specialize in that part of basketball, but ignore the offense part. Rod Jensen when at Boise State would have an orgasm If someone took a charge or we got a shot clock violation. Like Fresno we had the worse collection of shooters on the planet. He recruited specifically for defense. Which is stupid because it’s a lot easier to teach defense which is 99% effort, than offense which requires developed skills. 

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

I don't mind having poor shooters. It is perfectly fine to be a defensive oriented grind it out team. BUT you still need to have an offensive system. At the moment are system is just a lot of standing around and passing the ball along the perimeter.

Another pet peeve is the fact we go into burn the clock mood way to fast. I mean we are up by 4 pts with like 6 min left and then the O turns into stand around until there is 5 seconds in the shot clock and take a bad shot. Dont get me wrong that O can have its place it is just we go to it wayyyy to soon.

39 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah but they play good defense. Some coaches seem to specialize in that part of basketball, but ignore the offense part. Rod Jensen when at Boise State would have an orgasm If someone took a charge or we got a shot clock violation. Like Fresno we had the worse collection of shooters on the planet. He recruited specifically for defense. Which is stupid because it’s a lot easier to teach defense which is 99% effort, than offense which requires developed skills. 

Hutson was advertised as a defensive coach and we do play some good defense at times, but against the upper tier of teams in the MWC we don’t look so strong defensively. 

Ive got no problem putting an emphasis on defense, but damn, you gotta have some shooters who can knock down the open threes. We are absolutely terrible from beyond the arc. 

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

This is pretty much it. We lack that go to shooter that we can rely on to make a shot when it matters. The team overall is shooting terribly. There's talent on the team, but it seems like they are not developing. This is a completely new team, with I believe only 4 players returning from last year. Lots of guys entered the transfer portal this last year, so the team needs time to gel and build chemistry. but It's just not happening right now. I'm willing to give Hutson the pass this year, but next year is the majority of the teams stays intact and there isn't substantial improvement, I will begin to worry for Hutson. He did great in his first year and I feel like they got really screwed out of play in the NIT that year, but that was filled with Rodney Terry's players.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

28 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I don't mind having poor shooters. It is perfectly fine to be a defensive oriented grind it out team. BUT you still need to have an offensive system. At the moment are system is just a lot of standing around and passing the ball along the perimeter.

Another pet peeve is the fact we go into burn the clock mood way to fast. I mean we are up by 4 pts with like 6 min left and then the O turns into stand around until there is 5 seconds in the shot clock and take a bad shot. Dont get me wrong that O can have its place it is just we go to it wayyyy to soon.

You should be concerned. Rehabbing bad form and shooting habits developed during youth is very difficult to do. It’s already been committed to muscle memory which is very hard to change. It takes hundreds if not thousands of repetitions with the correct form. It’s a lot easier to learn good defense than offense. 

Just now, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

This is pretty much it. We lack that go to shooter that we can rely on to make a shot when it matters. The team overall is shooting terribly. There's talent on the team, but it seems like they are not developing. This is a completely new team, with I believe only 4 players returning from last year. Lots of guys entered the transfer portal this last year, so the team needs time to gel and build chemistry, but It's just not happening right now. I'm willing to give Hutson the pass this year, but next year if the majority of the teams stays intact and there isn't substantial improvement, I will begin to worry for Hutson. He did great in his first year and I feel like they got really screwed out of play in the NIT that year, but that was filled with Rodney Terry's players.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You should be concerned. Rehabbing bad form and shooting habits developed during youth is very difficult to do. It’s already been committed to muscle memory which is very hard to change. It takes hundreds if not thousands of repetitions with the correct form. It’s a lot easier to learn good defense than offense. 

My point is you cant have it all. If his goal is good defenders guess what they arent gonna be great shooters. Why? If they were both good/great defenders and good shooters they would be headed to a school ranked a bit higher than Fresno. 

When Hutson was at SDSU, he was in charge of the defense which was annually among the best in the country. However, the Aztecs used to win some of those games by like 49-42. We were often near the bottom in the country in 3-point shooting because not only wasn't shooting ability much emphasized in recruiting, the team often passed up wide open treys early in the clock by design. Could that be among Fresno's problems now?

I remember really wanting USU to look at Hutson when we let Duryea go because I thought he could bring some good athletes to Logan. The problem seems to be that good athletes don't necessarily = good basketball players. It seems the best teams always have a blend of the high IQ guys, role players that are willing to distribute and create, great defenders, and great offensive scorers. As Stew Morrill used to say - "our team will never win any warmup drill contests". In other words, the team that looks amazing in warm up drills doesn't always know how to play the game.

It will be interesting to see if Hutson can bring some more balance to the program.