Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Interesting Trivia Related to your Life

Well, I guess I can put out one thing;

Gary Faulkner. Guy that went to Pakistan to personally hunt down Osama Bin Laden, was later kicked out by the country, had kidney issues, and even had a Nick Cage film about this created. And I know the guy personally, and he would put most of the conspiracy believers on here to shame with his beliefs. He moved to Laramie after this interview and, with his girlfriend, moved into the same apartment complex that my mom lived in at the time.

Now, conspiracy theories aside, he's not a bad guy (and has since got at least one successful kidney transplant) and helped out a lot when my mom needed it.

22 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I have a relative that fought both against (Mexican-American War) and for the U.S. (Civil War, Union) which can’t be very common.

Wow, that's actually really interesting. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I knew the son (since passed on) of the tax collector who jailed Ghandi. When he was 10 or 11 he watched hid dad b¡tch slap Ghandi. That's kinda cool. :shrug:

Bonus points: He knew the famous Indian bandit/brigand Veerappan and they would often encounter each other in the jungle forests of Mudumalai in Tamil Nadu with their respective... parties. But what was so impressive wasn't so much that he knew Veerappan, but that Veerapan knew him.

India is such a huge, hugely amazing place that I never know how to even start learning about it. An elephant poaching bandit is as good a place as any, I guess.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

India is such a huge, hugely amazing place that I never know how to even start learning about it. An elephant poaching bandit is as good a place as any, I guess.

Without a doubt, India is a fascinating, amazing country. The cool thing is you don’t have to travel all the way there to experience it ... just go to a Dunks in Delaware:

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We were there exactly a year ago for the first time right when Covid started. Such an amazing, diverse country and amazing people. We were only able to see the south (wedding in Chennai and then Kerala coast), but there is so much more to see. We're definitely going to be going back.

James Wiley was my lifeguard and played with me and said "you're so cute I'd love to take you home and have you be my little brother"  

Not the most famous person but some of the Wyoming posters should recognize the name. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

48 minutes ago, happycamper said:

James Wiley was my lifeguard and played with me and said "you're so cute I'd love to take you home and have you be my little brother"  

Not the most famous person but some of the Wyoming posters should recognize the name. 

screaming homer simpson GIF

34 minutes ago, renoskier said:

are you 20 something?

Stayed home for college. Mom and younger siblings moved out to Colorado and I just continued to make the house payment, which was a whopping $212. Eventually it got too ghetto and bought my own house at 25. still there.

14 hours ago, son of a gun said:

Well, I guess I can put out one thing;

Gary Faulkner. Guy that went to Pakistan to personally hunt down Osama Bin Laden, was later kicked out by the country, had kidney issues, and even had a Nick Cage film about this created. And I know the guy personally, and he would put most of the conspiracy believers on here to shame with his beliefs. He moved to Laramie after this interview and, with his girlfriend, moved into the same apartment complex that my mom lived in at the time.

Now, conspiracy theories aside, he's not a bad guy (and has since got at least one successful kidney transplant) and helped out a lot when my mom needed it.

That was great!

The year I attended night law school one of my classmates was the only bounty hunter I've ever met, an English army veteran from a town near the Scottish border with a brogue making him almost sound like he was speaking another language. That guy wasn't as much of a joker but his stories about searching for murderers and big-time cocaine smugglers in South America were just as wild as Faulkner's about bin Laden.

19 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Wow, that's actually really interesting. 

Apparently he was from New Mexico and an officer in the Mexican army, stayed loyal to Mexico after the war and participated in an armed revolt, was jailed after the revolt was put down, eventually swore loyalty to the U.S., and then became an officer in the New Mexico Militia and fought for the Union and in the Civil War.  

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

screaming homer simpson GIF

no shit. My dad got melancholy drunk when I was 18 and told me that. gives me the heebie jeebies the once or twice a year I think about it.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

My uncle built the Apple Farm resort from nothing in the mid-70’s in San Luis Obispo, and grew it from a hotel to a high end resort with a 99.5% occupancy year after year. In the 80’s Steve Martin wanted to film a big part of one of his movies there, and with my uncle being a huge fan, he was floored. 

My uncle has always kind of reminded me of Steve, and the two were always chatting and hanging out. They actually kept the place open during filming, so extras we easy to get. They were there for about 2 weeks. I keep forgetting the name of the movie......My Blue Heaven maybe? 
My uncle later sold it for $235 million in late 90’s dollars. He’s actually the God Father to me and my sisters, and we’re in his will pretty good. But my psycho aunt ended up blowing 10’s of millions on a business venture, so probably no big pay day for me. 

kat.jpg

I shot a man in Reno.

You know...just to watch him die.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.