Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Interesting Trivia Related to your Life

The longer you live, the more interesting random trivia will happen to you. I’ll start:

My aunt was seriously dating Michael Reagan (the conservative, not the thin liberal Mike Reagan) way back in the 60’s when they were just a few years out of HS. He invited her to their 1968 Thanksgiving and Christmas family dinner. Ronald Reagan was the governor of CA at the time. She said he was very down to earth and treated her like family.

My Aunt used to hang out at the Long Beach Yacht Club in LA as did Michael. They were super close to getting engaged and then she found out he was secretly seeing another girl so she ditched him. That would’ve been nice to eventually have connections at the White House!!!. But they did eventually stay in touch up until her death 15 years ago of pancreatic cancer. 

kat.jpg

Eddie Fisher and Elizabeth Taylor lived in my house for a short time back in the early 60s and a couple of my old timer neighbors have stories about playing with Carrie Fisher when they were children. “The most beautiful woman in the world” and Princess Leia took dumps in my bathrooms. Think about that.

My small claims to fame.

I was ski bumming in Aspen the winter of 1978-1979. I met Buddy Hackett, Cheryl Tiegs, and George Hamilton that winter.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Hit Richard Roundtree with my golf bag while getting out of an elevator at the Wyndham Rose Hall in Montego Bay in 1999.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Took shots with Mark Ruffalo at my gf's bar while he was filming Avengers in ABQ. He came back to my girlfriend's house afterwards and had a couple more drinks and good chats. Stand up dude.

Aaron Paul hit on my GF at same bar, different night, we didn't get along as well...

My mom has had a cardiac pacemaker longer than any living person (first one at age 6).

My grandma went on several dates with Joe Albertson before meeting my grandfather (grandad looked like a movie star, grandma and all her sisters would tell me he was the most beautiful man they had ever seen, sorry Joe).

Great great grandfather was a Mayor of Boise before Idaho was a state.  Great grand uncle drove the last stage coach between Boise and Idaho City.  Several lakes, creeks (cricks for Idahoans) and one ridge named after my family.

On my Grandmas side the Nez Perce would gather in the dozens at the family farm when she was a child.  The authentic native clothing and jewelry made for the kids in exchange for food supplies were donated to the historical museum.

Won several state chess championships for my age group as a kid and actually placed (T68) at nationals for the under 15 open at age 11.

Some more outrageous and incredible things I have shared privately with board members but don't feel like making public knowledge, yall give me enough shit.

A friend of mine dated Robert Young’s (Father Knows Best) daughter. I met him on a group date when we picked her up at their home in Beverly Hills. Nice guy but his daughter was a total nerd. My wife went to high school with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. 

My pops and and uncle rode in the Reno wheelmen with a kid named Greg in the late 70’s. My friend Beef once convinced some girls in a Vegas bar he was a professional ride-on lawnmower racer in the Midwest, which was maybe even more legendary. But that’s all I got.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Most famous people I’ve personally met are Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Cameron, Tom Brokaw, Dan Quayle ... and most randomly, Larry Bird and Kevin McHale at the Salt Lake City Marriott as a kid when the Celtics were there to play the Jazz. I got both their autographs but some “friend” later stole them from me. On my mom’s side, Theodore Roosevelt stayed overnight my great grandparents’ family farm in New Mexico. My dad once had a beer with Clint Eastwood at a bar in Atlanta, Idaho. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

My grandpa was one of the few people who served in both WW1 and WW2. He never left stateside, though. Finished training in 1918 and was waiting to ship out when the war ended; in WW2 he was an old guy and so they had him training artillery officers. Whatever cycle that was ran out and he was ready to ship out to France when... the war ended. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Most famous people I’ve personally met are Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Cameron, Tom Brokaw, Dan Quayle ... and most randomly, Larry Bird and Kevin McHale at the Salt Lake City Marriott as a kid when the Celtics were there to play the Jazz. I got both their autographs but some “friend” later stole them from me. On my mom’s side, Theodore Roosevelt stayed overnight my great grandparents’ family farm in New Mexico. My dad once had a beer with Clint Eastwood at a bar in Atlanta, Idaho. 

I drank beers with Clint on 4 or 5 separate occasions in Sun Valley. Clint was a regular at the Airline Ski Week parties when Sun Valley was an annual stop. We had a group from Reno, mostly Air Guard/Airline pilots who would attend every year between about 1985-95. Each year Clint would make the rounds at the Wednesday night bash and invite a dozen or so folks to his home for dinner the following evening. I never made that cut, I think my ass was too big :ph34r:

My great grandma's first cousin was Erwin Rommel. 

My grandpa walked Haile Selassie's cheetahs with him at his palace in Addis Ababa. and taught Nate Thurmond to hoop. He also testified at the Senate after coaching the US State Dept. Basketball team across North Africa. 

I could go on and on. 

7 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

My great grandma's first cousin was Erwin Rommel. 

My grandpa walked Haile Selassie's cheetahs with him at his palace in Addis Ababa. and taught Nate Thurmond to hoop. He also testified at the Senate after coaching the US State Dept. Basketball team across North Africa. 

I could go on and on. 

Yea... well..... I got drunk with David Fales at downtown Monterey once..... so clearly I win. 

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea... well..... I got drunk with David Fales at downtown Monterey once..... so clearly I win. 

Did Fales ever go before Carr?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On that note, right after I graduated from college I moved back home. My best friend also moved back and started coaching at Monterey Peninsula College, where we both played. He just would not shut up about how they had some real talent on the team, and kept bugging me to come out for a game. “Man, I’m telling you, our QB is fvcking good, that Palma kid from a few years ago, he should be a D1 player, he can make all the throws and he’s just got IT. And our tackle is a beast too, he hasn’t played football much, but he legit has the measureables of a NFL player”. Now our JC was made up of mostly local guys, so we put out VERY few FCS guys, let alone FBS and NFL, so I just had a “yea ok” kind of response. 

I finally go check out a game against Cabrillo (from Santa Cruz), they go up 42 or 49-0 in the first half, and the QB throws 5 or 6 touchdowns. As I’m sure most of you know, the QB was David Fales, and the tackle was Terry Poole. Both ended up all MWC and played several seasons in the NFL. 

I went to High School with Annette Benning. I met OJ and got his autograph at the commuter terminal at LAX. I met Jack Kemp as a kid. My Mom took me to see the Beatles on their last tour when I was 8.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

33 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I went to High School with Annette Benning. I met OJ and got his autograph at the commuter terminal at LAX. I met Jack Kemp as a kid. My Mom took me to see the Beatles on their last tour when I was 8.

My wife worked with Annette Benning for half a day in the snack bar of the Little League our kids played in. OJ and I exchanged waives across the street while stopped at the same red light (he was driving a pearl white convertible Caddy). I bought a Jack Kemp football card at a show when he was running for president in the Republican primary. You got me beat on the last one.

Because I've lived near movie and TV studios for much of my life, I've encountered a bunch of celebrities but the only ones I ever talked to for more than a couple minutes were extremely obscure ones like the kid who played Ernie on the sixties sitcom My Three Sons, Barry Livingston, that I attended the same elementary school with. He was a year older and two of my classmates used to bother him all the time about being a "movie star" and I'd tell them to shut up. One day Barry came up to thank me and asked if I wanted to have lunch together and I felt bigly important.

My dad dated Dick Vermiel’s sister. Me and my brother met him this past year and he was very complimentary to my father, how he treated him (Dick) back in the day, etc. This, despite Dick being 3 years younger than my dad (my father is long-since deceased)...

My half-uncle (mom’s side) was also a professional wrestler. I remember watching him on USA Network a few times back in the 80’s (he was an accomplished jobber).  He and my mother shared the same mother, but different fathers. My mother was estranged from my grandmother when I was very young, so I never met her in person, nor my half-uncle. Tried to find him over the years (I’m a pretty heavy genealogy buff), but he was a recluse. I found him only hours after his reported death (Jan 2016). Although I couldn’t attend his service, I ended up writing a lengthy eulogy for him that was read by a half-sibling of his (whom I also had never met). It’s a convoluted affair, but is a part of my family’s past...

I went to high school with Ken Caminiti. He was a couple years older than me, but, man, what an athlete. Football, basketball and baseball. Stud in all three. He was pretty quiet whenever I was around him (it’s not like we were “friends”), but I partied with him a time or two (larger parties), ride the team buses to games with him (I played hoops), etc.  I do recall having a bit of a crush on his (eventual) wife, but that was fleeting...

I caddied for a couple non-descript lady professional golfers back in the day. Just for a week (in two consecutive years).  Also, one week in a Nationwide Tour event for a guy who made the PGA Tour for a year. Also, way back, for Ilie Nastase’s doubles partner (they were ranked 7th in the world at the time).  He was kind of a Richard. You know, sort of blaming me when he hit a bad shot (even when he shanked), etc. I was only a teen at the time, so I let it go...