Jump to content
Swoll Cracker

Why Is Everyone Afraid to Play CSU?

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Jalex4141 said:

Not playing Nevada at Lawlor was the best thing that could have happened to CSU.  Would have been a heck of a battle.  Really hope that series gets made up.  

Today’s UT article on league meetings says CSU really wants to avoid playing Nevada. Thread title needs to change. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Today’s UT article on league meetings says CSU really wants to avoid playing Nevada. Thread title needs to change. 

Ziegler talking out of school on that one. I’ll bet Dutcher and/or Wicker shared it with him. Completely inappropriate. Let’s wait and see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 2:06 PM, Jalex4141 said:

Not playing Nevada at Lawlor was the best thing that could have happened to CSU.  Would have been a heck of a battle.  Really hope that series gets made up.  

Did you know that CSU is the only team that hasn’t been swept in a 2-game series? Might be the best thing that could happen to Nevada - who knows?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Did you know that CSU is the only team that hasn’t been swept in a 2-game series? Might be the best thing that could happen to Nevada - who knows?

Nevada is ready to play and has practiced since Thursday if I correctly understood Murray’s article. Not sure how COVID impacted Nevada, but it’s playing well at Lawlor. Hope this happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada is ready to play and has practiced since Thursday if I correctly understood Murray’s article. Not sure how COVID impacted Nevada, but it’s playing well at Lawlor. Hope this happens. 

If Nevada was back to practice on Thursday, the games could have been played as scheduled on Saturday and today. I would guess that the games were postponed earlier in the week because of uncertainty and because Nevada wasn't sure when they’d be back to practice.

I wish the two teams could have played as scheduled. I wish the Mountain West could have figured out a way for teams to play each other home-and-home so that schedules could be closer to being balanced. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 10 games in 23 days to get caught up after falling behind due to a COVID shutdown. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 4 road games in 9 days at the tail end of that road trip meaning they were on the road for 8 out of 9 days. 

CSU and Nevada might play and they might not. My guess is that they won’t and that no MWC makeup games will be played as no one will want to travel the week before the MWC Tournament.  But that’s purely a guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If Nevada was back to practice on Thursday, the games could have been played as scheduled on Saturday and today. I would guess that the games were postponed earlier in the week because of uncertainty and because Nevada wasn't sure when they’d be back to practice.

I wish the two teams could have played as scheduled. I wish the Mountain West could have figured out a way for teams to play each other home-and-home so that schedules could be closer to being balanced. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 10 games in 23 days to get caught up after falling behind due to a COVID shutdown. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 4 road games in 9 days at the tail end of that road trip meaning they were on the road for 8 out of 9 days. 

CSU and Nevada might play and they might not. My guess is that they won’t and that no MWC makeup games will be played as no one will want to travel the week before the MWC Tournament.  But that’s purely a guess.

If this is true, why isn't it a forfeit?  I mean, apparently they could play but chose not to.

So what I'm reading is that Nevada chose to put off the CSU series for convenience (lack of preparation time), SDSU is choosing not to make up the UNLV series "for the good of the conference", and yet CSU is accused of ducking Nevada during make up week?  It strikes me that every team is doing what is best for them and any criticisms are just biased crap.

CSU has been off for three weeks through no fault of their own.  All they'll get before the tournament (if it happens) is two games against AFA unless they play a make up series.  They can't play two.  They'd be fools to pick UNR based on the criteria most other teams in the conference are using.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

If this is true, why isn't it a forfeit?  I mean, apparently they could play but chose not to.

So what I'm reading is that Nevada chose to put off the CSU series for convenience (lack of preparation time), SDSU is choosing not to make up the UNLV series "for the good of the conference", and yet CSU is accused of ducking Nevada during make up week?  It strikes me that every team is doing what is best for them and any criticisms are just biased crap.

CSU has been off for three weeks through no fault of their own.  All they'll get before the tournament (if it happens) is two games against AFA unless they play a make up series.  They can't play two.  They'd be fools to pick UNR based on the criteria most other teams in the conference are using.

The article I mention didn’t have a single quote from a Nevada AD or any coaching staff — it was on Nevada Sports Net. Who knows how the logistics of all of this works? Why would Nevada cancel a home series against any team in conference especially after it soundly beat Vegas and Boise at home?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

If this is true, why isn't it a forfeit?  I mean, apparently they could play but chose not to.

Was is the conference or Nevada that chose to postpone the series? It was postponed on Monday and Nevada wasn’t in the clear any earlier than late Wednesday. 

Quote

So what I'm reading is that Nevada chose to put off the CSU series for convenience (lack of preparation time), SDSU is choosing not to make up the UNLV series "for the good of the conference", and yet CSU is accused of ducking Nevada during make up week? 
 

This is what I find funny about the article by Ziegler article. The “for the benefit of the conference” argument only applies for SDSU. 

Quote

It strikes me that every team is doing what is best for them and any criticisms are just biased crap.

Yep. 

Quote

CSU has been off for three weeks through no fault of their own.  All they'll get before the tournament (if it happens) is two games against AFA unless they play a make up series.  They can't play two.  They'd be fools to pick UNR based on the criteria most other teams in the conference are using.

Either play make up games or don’t. If the conference decides to, prioritize games between teams who have had more than two games postponed. That way you can limit the discrepancy in the number of conference games played by each team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If Nevada was back to practice on Thursday, the games could have been played as scheduled on Saturday and today. I would guess that the games were postponed earlier in the week because of uncertainty and because Nevada wasn't sure when they’d be back to practice.

I wish the two teams could have played as scheduled. I wish the Mountain West could have figured out a way for teams to play each other home-and-home so that schedules could be closer to being balanced. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 10 games in 23 days to get caught up after falling behind due to a COVID shutdown. I wish CSU hadn’t had to play 4 road games in 9 days at the tail end of that road trip meaning they were on the road for 8 out of 9 days. 

CSU and Nevada might play and they might not. My guess is that they won’t and that no MWC makeup games will be played as no one will want to travel the week before the MWC Tournament.  But that’s purely a guess.

I think there was uncertainty on their return. The last round of negative tests required before returning to practice was late Wednesday (according to Murray’s article). So, Thursday was going to be the earliest Nevada could have returned to practice.

I was hoping they would have just shifted the series a few days. Try a Sunday/Tuesday or Monday/Wednesday series and delay the next series by a day or two, if need be. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Was is the conference or Nevada that chose to postpone the series? It was postponed on Monday and Nevada wasn’t in the clear any earlier than late Wednesday. 

This is what I find funny about the article by Ziegler article. The “for the benefit of the conference” argument only applies for SDSU. 

Yep. 

Either play make up games or don’t. If the conference decides to, prioritize games between teams who have had more than two games postponed. That way you can limit the discrepancy in the number of conference games played by each team. 

Meh, it obviously wasn't going to be a forfeit, and might have done CSU a favor.  The point is that every team is having to bend a few rules just to finish the season.  Why wouldn't they bend them in their favor, and why would other teams in the same boat complain?  I'm certain that the conference is weighing in heavily on all of these decisions.  It's not just a team putting together an isolated plan.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Meh, it obviously wasn't going to be a forfeit, and might have done CSU a favor.  The point is that every team is having to bend a few rules just to finish the season.  Why wouldn't they bend them in their favor, and why would other teams in the same boat complain?  I'm certain that the conference is weighing in heavily on all of these decisions.  It's not just a team putting together an isolated plan.

Fine. But the title of the thread is still wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Fine. But the title of the thread is still wrong. 

It was done tongue in cheek. CSU missed two consecutive series due to COVID.

I would hope the “Nice ethics Troy” comment would have given that away.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

It was done tongue in cheek. CSU missed two consecutive series due to COVID.

I would hope the “Nice ethics Troy” comment would have given that away.

Gotcha. I admit to a tendency to take things to literally on here... It's been a sucky year. The Aztecs missed two series despite not having any Covid positives during the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Gotcha. I admit to a tendency to take things to literally on here... It's been a sucky year. The Aztecs missed two series despite not having any Covid positives during the season. 

CSU had to postpone their originally scheduled games with SDSU because of COVID. They played them as quickly as they could which required them to play their first 10 MWC games in 23 days. Now with the added games, they will play 4 games over 6 days. That means 14 of their 18 conference games over two spans totaling 29 days. The other 4 games were played over 36 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...