Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

Rush Out

7 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Just checking in on the thread... are we still on Feminism? 

It’s hard to tell. Halfman’s FBI guy is locked in a broom closet right now because he wouldn’t stop ranting about the strange mix of google searches he’s been forced to investigate.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

17 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s hard to tell. Halfman’s FBI guy is locked in a broom closet right now because he wouldn’t stop ranting about the strange mix of google searches he’s been forced to investigate.

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Atta boy halfman! This thread needs to fix racism next. Make it happen @youngredbullfan

I will settle for transgendered bathrooms though.

ETA: I see we dipped into cloning dinosaurs and Mongol hoards. Some bonus points there.

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There’s a lot going on there.

I wonder how many Italians are involved. I worry that they have no one at the steering wheel, but... makes it more communist, no? They are all going nowhere and looking for a leader.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

My FBI guy tying together changes to the olfactory lobe during pregnancy, with communication relays during the Pax Mongolica and the impact of cycling to the Italian communist party and the role permafrost plays in the future of the Amur Leopard, within the span of 25 minutes.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Charlie Knows Who Won the Election

FBI guy: "Clearly the man is a threat"

This thread is peak MWCBoarding. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

This thread is peak MWCBoarding. 

Yeah, it is getting into rarified MWCBoarding air. It's a prime vintage for sure. Dinosaur cloning and Mongol hoards on a Rush Limbaugh Dead thread puts it into elite consideration.

7 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I wonder how many Italians are involved. I worry that they have no one at the steering wheel, but... makes it more communist, no? They are all going nowhere and looking for a leader.

Winter jackets, woman in sandals, no food on the table; yep, seems pretty on brand commie.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I had my dad read the last few pages a few hours ago.  His response "It's like a mensa meeting but everybody is smoking meth".

We need this on a #MWCBoarding shirt.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I had my dad read the last few pages a few hours ago.  His response "It's like a mensa meeting but everybody is smoking meth".

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Yeah, it is getting into rarified MWCBoarding air. It's a prime vintage for sure. Dinosaur cloning and Mongol hoards on a Rush Limbaugh Dead thread puts it into elite consideration.

Someone should call the mwc network and have them do an 'At the Peak' segment on this thread. 

@mugtang get on that!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

...In hindsight it can be difficult to see just how precarious the position De Gasperi’s government was in. Without the promise of Soviet support, it has been widely concluded that any sustained revolt had no chance of success, especially because it was in American foreign policy interests to see it defeated. But this dismissal of the perils of the unrest belies the situation on the ground. Immediately comparisons to the assassination of Matteozzi in 1924 by the fascists were widespread. The belief that the Christian Democratic government was complicit in violently removing the opposition’s political leaders would not have seemed far fetched to the Italian people that had spent the previous two decades under the iron handed Fascists and then the brutally criminal Nazi occupiers. The left was still stinging from catastrophic rebuke in April’s election where the Popular front had been trounced, in no small part due heavy American influence into the run up. The Communists were still smarting over being ejected from the coalition government the previous year as a precondition for receiving foreign relief from the Marshall plan, and under the pretenses of a May Day massacre at the hands of a celebrated bandit who was widely seen as having ties to right wing politics. It also cannot be discounted how experienced and well armed the populace of Italy was in guerrilla warfare. After all, it was they that overthrew the Mussolini in 1943. And it was they who assisted the allies in resisting and overcoming the Nazi occupation that followed. This was a population practiced and prepared for partisan war, while also being armed to the teeth. The numbers of confiscated arms in 1948 greatly outnumbers 1946 and 1947, and in some cases 1945, the year of partisan demilitarization: 28 cannons; 202 mortars and grenade launchers; 995 machine guns; 6,200 automatic rifles; 27,123 rifles and muskets; 9,445 pistols and
revolvers; 49,640 grenades; 564 tons of explosives; 81 radio transmitters; and 5.5 million rounds of ammunition. The threat of bloodshed on a very large scale was very real, even if Italy’s experiment in democracy had powerful forces interested in seeing it survive.

It is in light of these facts that De Gasperi’s strange phone call, unparalleled in cycling history if not broader history as a whole, makes sense. If the death toll was be prevented from climbing into the hundreds or thousands or worse, a groundswell feeling of national pride and unity was vital. Otherwise, it be up to the battalions to restore order...

11 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

The thing is women aren't really taught how to be mothers. It's learned through experience and shared knowledge through a support network. Men are completely capable of fulfilling that role if there wasn't a perceived negative bias and stereotype associated with men fulfilling that role, which in and of itself is an extension of said sexism.

or, as seen on social media,

May be an image of text that says 'Thinking of sleeping on my husband's side of the bed today. Apparently from that side, you don't hear the kids wake up at night..'

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

...In hindsight it can be difficult to see just how precarious the position De Gasperi’s government was in. Without the promise of Soviet support, it has been widely concluded that any sustained revolt had no chance of success, especially because it was in American foreign policy interests to see it defeated. But this dismissal of the perils of the unrest belies the situation on the ground. Immediately comparisons to the assassination of Matteozzi in 1924 by the fascists were widespread. The belief that the Christian Democratic government was complicit in violently removing the opposition’s political leaders would not have seemed far fetched to the Italian people that had spent the previous two decades under the iron handed Fascists and then the brutally criminal Nazi occupiers. The left was still stinging from catastrophic rebuke in April’s election where the Popular front had been trounced, in no small part due heavy American influence into the run up. The Communists were still smarting over being ejected from the coalition government the previous year as a precondition for receiving foreign relief from the Marshall plan, and under the pretenses of a May Day massacre at the hands of a celebrated bandit who was widely seen as having ties to right wing politics. It also cannot be discounted how experienced and well armed the populace of Italy was in guerrilla warfare. After all, it was they that overthrew the Mussolini in 1943. And it was they who assisted the allies in resisting and overcoming the Nazi occupation that followed. This was a population practiced and prepared for partisan war, while also being armed to the teeth. The numbers of confiscated arms in 1948 greatly outnumbers 1946 and 1947, and in some cases 1945, the year of partisan demilitarization: 28 cannons; 202 mortars and grenade launchers; 995 machine guns; 6,200 automatic rifles; 27,123 rifles and muskets; 9,445 pistols and
revolvers; 49,640 grenades; 564 tons of explosives; 81 radio transmitters; and 5.5 million rounds of ammunition. The threat of bloodshed on a very large scale was very real, even if Italy’s experiment in democracy had powerful forces interested in seeing it survive.

It is in light of these facts that De Gasperi’s strange phone call, unparalleled in cycling history if not broader history as a whole, makes sense. If the death toll was be prevented from climbing into the hundreds or thousands or worse, a groundswell feeling of national pride and unity was vital. Otherwise, it be up to the battalions to restore order...

Could do with some citation, but I'll let it slide in the interest of MWCBoarding. :P

I don't think the national pride of Italians in sport can be underestimated. I mean it might be their number one source of national pride. The Olympics may have been created by the Greeks (as a means to diddle liddle laddies?) but to the Romans, sport was life and death and that tradition remains among the Italians. And yes they are cycling freaks. And football freaks. And tennis freaks. Even seen a couple of NHL Italian plugs and they played dirty as hell. Bottom line, when life gets bad in Italy, or the government needs to quell the populace, look to the games. Any games will do.