Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

Rush Out

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

They actually were. Did you know that the Tzarist tradition is based on the Khans?

I did!  The history of East-West migration across the Steppes and it's impact on Middle Eastern and the Western worlds is absolutely fascinating.   Since we were talking about the huns recently, the were the descendants of the  Hsiung-nu and a few of the tribes they absorbed after being forced Westward centuries earlier  They were forced into the West because they were one of the weaker steppe peoples and still brought Rome to it's knees.

Unlike previous Steppes peoples, the Mongols were not forced West and their primary goal was not to plunder butto tax and trade.  Women had it better than in Europe, you could worship anyway you saw fit, and a trader could cross an area twice the size of the US alone and unmolested.  The Pax Mongolica was very real.

18 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The problem with that work is that it won't take any history into context. The difference between what it meant to be a "man" in the Mongol Empire and what it meant to be a man working in a textile plant in the 1700s has as much to do with gender differences as the differences between the men and women in those same societies. So while I don't discount that somehow biology plays a role, using the scientific method to figure out where one begins and the other ends is pointless IMO.

We aren’t trying to uncover the totality of ontology here.  Of course, science research into genetics, neuroscience, biology, and related domains have import here.  Social constructs, too.  The problem is the broadly held view in the social sciences, at least certain strands, is the dogmatism of social construct theory (explains virtually all). 

Just now, Los_Aztecas said:

There is a timeline problem for your argument. I first pointed out the inherent sexism of your comment before you qualified it, which I'm sure why you did. Changing your argument mid stream and then accusing me of not arguing in good faith? You sound more Rush-like than I.

No. You're either entirely misunderstanding my comment or you're so blind to how much additional labor women put in to relationships in pretty much the entire developed world that you think that pointing out a labor imbalance based on gender is itself sexism.

Women do far more work around the house, especially when it comes to couples with kids, both of whom work. That isn't sexism, that's a measured fact. I'd argue that why has a lot to do with the inborn sexism of our culture - men are not trained from infancy to perform the necessary planning work, maintenance work, emotional labor.... that women are and as such typically suck at it as adults - but regardless, your idea that "recognizing a measured statistic is sexism" is lunacy

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

No. You're either entirely misunderstanding my comment or you're so blind to how much additional labor women put in to relationships in pretty much the entire developed world that you think that pointing out a labor imbalance based on gender is itself sexism.

Women do far more work around the house, especially when it comes to couples with kids, both of whom work. That isn't sexism, that's a measured fact. I'd argue that why has a lot to do with the inborn sexism of our culture - men are not trained from infancy to perform the necessary planning work, maintenance work, emotional labor.... that women are and as such typically suck at it as adults - but regardless, your idea that "recognizing a measured statistic is sexism" is lunacy

I didn't say that women didn't do more household work than men, particularly during this pandemic. I bolded the comment that I responded to as well. Now you're being deliberately dense. 

2 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I didn't say that women didn't do more household work than men, particularly during this pandemic. I bolded the comment that I responded to as well. Now you're being deliberately dense. 

No, I'm not.

Women do more home labor, caring labor, chores labor, and emotional labor than men.

That's a fact.

Men tend to suck at all of those. That's my opinion. In my opinion, it's because women are culturally expected to do that labor and so are taught to do it from an extremely early age while men are not. 

Not sure how "believing that a gender difference is due to sexism" is sexism, but have fun deciding it is, I guess

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Well maybe women should have gone out there and bonked that woolly mammoth and the head then!!!

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:

We aren’t trying to uncover the totality of ontology here.  Of course, science research into genetics, neuroscience, biology, and related domains have import here.  Social constructs, too.  The problem is the broadly held view in the social science, at least certain strands, is the dogmatism of social construct theory (explains virtually all). 

Yea, I overstated when I said that the scientific method is worthless... I just mean that the scientific research tells you different things.

I do think people overstate the dogmatism of social constructivism in the social sciences, though I do think it does show itself as problematic from time to time. It's not as much that social construction explains all, but it's more that in many areas of social sciences the social construction is the thing they study. It's their method to explain social phenomenon. The questions they ask are different. Yes, there are some cases where people in the social sciences and humanities refuse to accept scientific explanations, but I find those people to be pretty rare at least in my experience. But I'm biased here.

I get more frustrated with the areas of the social sciences wherein they try to use "objective" quantitative data or scientific methods to explain complicated social or historical phenomena. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, happycamper said:

No, I'm not.

Women do more home labor, caring labor, chores labor, and emotional labor than men.

That's a fact.

Men tend to suck at all of those. That's my opinion. In my opinion, it's because women are culturally expected to do that labor and so are taught to do it from an extremely early age while men are not. 

Not sure how "believing that a gender difference is due to sexism" is sexism, but have fun deciding it is, I guess

Let me see... during this argument you have: 

1) Changed the timeline of responses to suit your narrative

2) Reframed my arguments to suit your narrative

3) Reframed your arguments after the fact.

Face it, we should just rename you little Rush.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well maybe women should have gone out there and bonked that woolly mammoth and the head then!!!

PHRASING

Just now, Los_Aztecas said:

Let me see... during this argument you have: 

1) Changed the timeline of responses to suit your narrative

2) Reframed my arguments to suit your narrative

3) Reframed your arguments after the fact.

Face it, we should just rename you little Rush.

I mean... no

you went apeshit on a comment assuming that I was saying something I wasn't

I responded as I am wont to do when someone freaks out

now you are butthurt

not really my fault

...At the meeting the Soviets were unequivocal in that they did not and would not lend support to the brewing revolution. This effectively ended any chance of success the revolt could accomplish, and it has occasionally been credited to the PCI leadership that they were stalwart in their commitment to achieving their aims through democracy and not violent conflict. This seems false. While the grasping for his life Togliatti did urge calm, but the other leadership of the party absolutely waited until hearing from Moscow before deciding on an official course forward. In the meantime, Italy fell into chaos. The groundswell had roused a populace that was heavily armed and experienced in the art of guerrilla warfare. It was they, after all, that had overthrown the Fascists and helped the allies to defeat the occupying Nazis afterward. If any credit is to be given, it might be that the party leadership was so beholden to Moscow that it didn’t add the feather that might tip the scales into wide scale open conflict, which is where the feelings of the people seemed to rest on that fateful day.

Of course, none of this was known for a certainty by the leadership of the Government...

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That reminds me, I was going to ask your opinion on this:

https://www.dw.com/en/japanese-scientists-make-breakthrough-in-cloning-a-woolly-mammoth/a-48063060#:~:text=Asia-,Japanese scientists make breakthrough in cloning a woolly mammoth,have shown signs of life.&text=Cell nuclei from the mammoth,successfully implanted in mouse cells.

Does this raise serious ethical concerns or is it a good thing? 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

...At the meeting the Soviets were unequivocal in that they did not and would not lend support to the brewing revolution. This effectively ended any chance of success the revolt could accomplish, and it has occasionally been credited to the PCI leadership that they were stalwart in their commitment to achieving their aims through democracy and not violent conflict. This seems false. While the grasping for his life Togliatti did urge calm, but the other leadership of the party absolutely waited until hearing from Moscow before deciding on an official course forward. In the meantime, Italy fell into chaos. The groundswell had roused a populace that was heavily armed and experienced in the art of guerrilla warfare. It was they, after all, that had overthrown the Fascists and helped the allies to defeat the occupying Nazis afterward. If any credit is to be given, it might be that the party leadership was so beholden to Moscow that it didn’t add the feather that might tip the scales into wide scale open conflict, which is where the feelings of the people seemed to rest on that fateful day.

Of course, none of this was known for a certainty by the leadership of the Government...

Cycling is for commies=confirmed.

4 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I think the science behind it is fascinating and will lead to great application in the future  even if we are not making woolly mammoths.

Being able to save, say Amur leopards, from extinction due to loss of habitat and poaching would be amazing.  

23 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... no

you went apeshit on a comment assuming that I was saying something I wasn't

I responded as I am wont to do when someone freaks out

now you are butthurt

not really my fault

Lol you're funny. "went apeshit"? I mean... what world. You're the one who flew off the handle for being called out my friend. You're personifying, assigning things of me that you very obviously feel. That's fine, maybe next time you can take the floaties off and we will have some fun in the deep end. Until then continue learning how to tread water. 

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think the science behind it is fascinating and will lead to great application in the future  even if we are not making woolly mammoths.

Being able to save, say Amur leopards, from extinction due to loss of habitat and poaching would be amazing.  

This is a good chance for @happycamper to weigh in on his MOAR MEGAFAUNA theory.