Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

Rush Out

Only 70. Fairly young. Couldn’t stand his politics, but death is never an easy thing (for family and friends, etc.).  His divisive, inflammatory rhetoric surely will live on. Especially while Twice Impeached Orange Shit Stain is still taking breaths...

Goodbye GIF

Certainly he was beloved by many. I don't count myself among them. His legacy is having weaponized political discourse like no other. I believe the country is a worse place because of his extreme divisiveness. Certainly his legacy will live on, but I hope I live long enough to see it die off. I doubt it though.

21 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Is it though?  Life expectancy in the US is 79, and he wasn't in peak health either.   My condolences to his family, regardless.

Just speaking generally. Didn’t factor in his health. Obviously, lung cancer is a major detriment to a person living a longer life - even as that concept applies to someone prone to controversial, hateful opinions...

Whelp, I'll keep my personal and much meaner feelings to myself, and just say that the guy has arguably had a bigger impact on modern American Conservatism than anybody else, and that is a hell of a legacy for a college dropout from a small town in Missouri 

I think it was 1988.  I’m heading home one afternoon from a long-term sub teaching job and I was driving my dad’s Chevy Citation with only an AM radio.  A tape-delayed program came on a local station with some guy with a weird name — Rush.  He was different.  Conservative talk radio existed before, but he had charisma, uniqueness, and humor. 

I still recall driving my ‘72 pop-top VW van up to the mountains for some trail adventures and just before losing radio reception, Rush had one of his Peace Updates on.  The theme music was falsetto-voiced Slim Whitman singing “Una Paloma Blanca”.  I about drove off the road it was so humorous.   Rush had a happy warrior edge that I found entertaining. I listened to him for about three years or thereabouts. His negatives, unfortunately, began to exceed his entertainment value for me.  I never really listened much after c.1991. Maybe success or just who he was?

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Same reason others tune into CNN, Rachael Maddow, etc.  

You should try climbing out of the vat of Kool-Aid you love to wallow in. 

People like Limbaugh are directly linked to the divisivness that plagues the country today.  Instead of always trotting out "whataboutism", why not simply acknowledge the asshole for what he was?  Even a fanboy like you can see that, right?

1 minute ago, Whats Up Doc said:

You should try climbing out of the vat of Kool-Aid you love to wallow in. 

People like Limbaugh are directly linked to the divisivness that plagues the country today.  Instead of always trotting out "whataboutism", why not simply acknowledge the asshole for what he was?  Even a fanboy like you can see that, right?

Not a fan. I rarely listened to him.