Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Gonzaga and BYU opting out of WCC tourney?

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If they had joined, we probably could have figured out a way to toss BYU out by now. 😀

They'd be back.

Bad penny defined.

This is a dumb strategy for BYU if true. They WILL get left on the cutting room floor.   Can't see  the committee rewarding a conference for gaming the system.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

18 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

This is a dumb strategy for BYU if true. They WILL get left on the cutting room floor.   Can't see  the committee rewarding a conference for gaming the system.

Because that's never happened here :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

kind of sticks It to the rest of the conference and any chance for a bid with an upset.   Seems weak to me and not showing any respect for the conference as a whole.

6 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

What is your thinking on the chance that those two would try something like that ?

I think it would have to come from those conference. BYU isn’t going to do anything to create more waves. BYU has been gone now for 10 plus years. I think the ADs now are over it and would consider bringing in BYU and Gonzaga. BYU won’t come without Gonzaga. 

For the MWC it’s a no brainer. You become the best basketball conference in the West plus you get 5 or 6 game scheduling agreement with BYU football. 

There is way more depth in the MWC than WCC. 

Gonzaga has already looked at Big East and MWC. BYU asked to stay for Basketball when the WAC was destroyed. I think they were unofficially invited back for Basketball a couple years back. But I don’t know that for sure. 

MWC reach out to BYU during the pandemic so certainly the relationship has vastly improved over 10 plus years. 

BYU is very tight with SDSU, BSU, USU and a good relationship with a number of others. I doubt there is a team left that won’t play BYU anymore. 

I have no faith in the MWC leadership to do much. They had a shot at Wichita St and Gonzaga and didn’t land them. And the movement would have to come from the MWC.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Honestly I really dont think it makes much sense for Gonzaga to even join the mwc. They are a top 15 program, they control the wcc, they are a better cultural fit in the wcc, they can sch an A+ OOC sch ect.

If they were a little worse (ie say top 40 program) then the mw would make more sense. 

And what could the mw really offer Gonzaga (you know they would want a special deal). I mean maybe agreeing to go back down to 16 conference games. Assuming byu also joins that means playing everyone once and 4 teams twice. Let Gonzaga pick the 4 teams they wanna play twice. I would also say give a much higher percentage of ncaat credits earned in the sweet 16 or latter to the team that earned them. That would be one way to give Gonzaga  more money but only in years they are exceptional (so we dont get another boise football scenario). 

18 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Would the tournament champion get an autobid?  Surely not, right?

If BYU doesn't play in the conference tournament, then I'd prefer it to be because of the tournament being cancelled.  If Gonzaga opts out of playing in the tournament (and they have nothing to gain by playing in it), then BYU has less to gain by participating.  Right now they have a pretty solid tournament profile - 28 in NET, 3-3 vs Quad 1, 2-2 vs Quad 2, no losses in Quads 3 or 4 - and are being projected as anywhere from a 7 seed to a 10 seed. 

If the NCAA allows a bunch of teams to forego their conference tournaments and still award an autobid to the tourney winner, then a spot in the tournament is far from assured.  And it's better for BYU to try to play their way into the NCAA tournament with an autobid than it is to assume they've done enough and sit out the conference tourney.

5 minutes ago, Pelado said:

If the NCAA allows a bunch of teams to forego their conference tournaments and still award an autobid to the tourney winner, then a spot in the tournament is far from assured.  And it's better for BYU to try to play their way into the NCAA tournament with an autobid than it is to assume they've done enough and sit out the conference tourney.

I think the NCAA needs to take a stand.  You can't give Saint Mary's (10-8, 2-4 currently) an autobid for winning a watered down WCC tournament.  If the top two teams opt out, then the WCC needs to cancel the tournament. 

6 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Honestly I really dont think it makes much sense for Gonzaga to even join the mwc. They are a top 15 program, they control the wcc, they are a better cultural fit in the wcc, they can sch an A+ OOC sch ect.

If they were a little worse (ie say top 40 program) then the mw would make more sense. 

And what could the mw really offer Gonzaga (you know they would want a special deal). I mean maybe agreeing to go back down to 16 conference games. Assuming byu also joins that means playing everyone once and 4 teams twice. Let Gonzaga pick the 4 teams they wanna play twice. I would also say give a much higher percentage of ncaat credits earned in the sweet 16 or latter to the team that earned them. That would be one way to give Gonzaga  more money but only in years they are exceptional (so we dont get another boise football scenario). 

Probably why it didn’t work out.

But it would be fun to see. Provo and Spokane are the only great basketball locations. Most MWC locations are really good. That might appeal to Gonzaga. Instead of 20k fans screaming at them in Provo. They would have it at UNLV, SDSU, NM, CSU, USU and others. 

With a better conference Gonzaga might agree to 18 games. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

I don't think ESPN will allow them not to participate.  What's the point of televising it if Gonzaga and BYU aren't in it.  They could pull the money from the WCC if Gonzaga and BYU didn't participate.  It's the same reason the MWC is doing all these makeup games in the last week, even if its not in the best interest of the MWC.  TV said so, and if you want to get paid, you do as they say.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, soupslam1 said:

Easy solution. Drop all conference tournaments. Take the first place team from each conference and whomever else is selected by the committee. 

This is how it always should have been.

Conference tourneys are dumb, and awarding postseason berth for them is even more dumb. Winning your league should guarantee postseason access in all sports.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

This is how it always should have been.

Conference tourneys are dumb, and awarding postseason berth for them is even more dumb. Winning your league should guarantee postseason access in all sports.

I agree.  But conference tournaments bring in TV dollars.  They aren't going away anytime soon. 

Isn't it up to the individual conferences to determine who gets the auto bid?  The system really sucks for the one bid leagues.  One bad game in the conference tournament and an entire season of solid work goes down the tubes.

I understand going with the hot team, but it isn't the fairest way to determine an auto bid, IMO.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 3/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, namssa said:

I don't think ESPN will allow them not to participate.  What's the point of televising it if Gonzaga and BYU aren't in it.  They could pull the money from the WCC if Gonzaga and BYU didn't participate.  It's the same reason the MWC is doing all these makeup games in the last week, even if its not in the best interest of the MWC.  TV said so, and if you want to get paid, you do as they say.

As they should. I would REFUSE to pay for nonperformance.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:18 PM, soupslam1 said:

Easy solution. Drop all conference tournaments. Take the first place team from each conference and whomever else is selected by the committee. 

I agree with that approach but it will never be adopted by Hair Thompson. So doing would be reacted to very badly by our so-called TV partners who would retaliate by cutting a buck fitty off their final offer for a new deal.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree.  But conference tournaments bring in TV dollars.  They aren't going away anytime soon. 

Isn't it up to the individual conferences to determine who gets the auto bid?  The system really sucks for the one bid leagues.  One bad game in the conference tournament and an entire season of solid work goes down the tubes.

I understand going with the hot team, but it isn't the fairest way to determine an auto bid, IMO.  

It's just shocking to me that conferences would potentially award a bid to a team that could have underperformed and then gotten hot for a few games. 

The team that showed the most consistent play is the one that won the league through a 16-20 game league season, at least to me. It's generally home and home for all the teams, or close to it. 

I just hate it for 1 bid leagues. You win your league and then you're not invited to the postseason? USU got screwed over by this a few years ago when they went something like 28-5. None of us really have that problem, because you feel like if you merit a bid, you will get in regardless. The three or four teams here will get in unless you get someone like USU or Nevada winning the league tourney and then they will keep CSU or Boise home, because the committee feels the need to "punish" someone.

Can't stand it.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 2/17/2021 at 6:33 AM, thedude15 said:

And what could the mw really offer Gonzaga (you know they would want a special deal). Give a much higher percentage of ncaat credits earned in the sweet 16 or latter to the team that earned them. That would be one way to give Gonzaga  more money but only in years they are exceptional (so we dont get another boise football scenario). 

The problem with the Boise-MW scenario was basing it on historical success. Divvy up tournament credits to a greater extent to those schools who earn them going forward and it would act as a carrot on the stick for the SJSUs of the conference to either improve themselves or drown for lack of relative revenue and eventually be forced to relegate themselves to an FCS-level league.

My thought has been that 25-50% of tournament revenue should go to the school which earns it. That would also incentivize schools to rid themselves of has-been coaches rather than allowing them to hang around and be mediocre just because they were once successful.

40 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The problem with the Boise-MW scenario was basing it on historical success. Divvy up tournament credits to a greater extent to those schools who earn them going forward and it would act as a carrot on the stick for the SJSUs of the conference to either improve themselves or drown for lack of relative revenue and eventually be forced to relegate themselves to an FCS-level league.

My thought has been that 25-50% of tournament revenue should go to the school which earns it. That would also incentivize schools to rid themselves of has-been coaches rather than allowing them to hang around and be mediocre just because they were once successful.

That probably wouldn't help much to lure Gonzaga now since they've already changed the revenue distribution in the WCC to favor those who earned the tournament credits.  And Gonzaga has earned a lot of tournament credits that will be paid out to the conference over the next few years.  If they were to leave the conference, they'd be leaving all that earned revenue to their remaining WCC brethren.