Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happycamper

How much of your job is bullshit?

16 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I guess that how much you value your teeth would be how much of my job is BS.

However, I do USE BS at work, especially when sports fans come in, which, interestingly enough, happens more in Mesquite than it does in Vegas. Sometimes I think half the town is from Wyoming, and some Utah. But in the last couple of months, I've seen more patients from California that have figured out that they can work remotely from anywhere. But they don't tend to be sports fans. Others I talk to about where they went on vacation, etc., needless to say it's been a boring year.

At any rate, making a patient comfortable with being in the chair is half my job, which I do with...BS :D  (plus it keeps me entertained.)

E0DCDE0E-750D-47CA-A718-19D165CC90B4.jpeg.ada915c37dfa89c5a593625ff03e028c.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Negative.  Unless they are breaking the law?  Only people getting severance are those who have been there over 5 years.

Did they give 90 day notice before shutting down? I worked.for a software studio of a little more than 200 people that was shut down by parent company, and they were required to either give 90 days notice or 90 days severance.  This was in 2005, so I suppose the laws could have changed since then.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I guess that how much you value your teeth would be how much of my job is BS.

However, I do USE BS at work, especially when sports fans come in, which, interestingly enough, happens more in Mesquite than it does in Vegas. Sometimes I think half the town is from Wyoming, and some Utah. But in the last couple of months, I've seen more patients from California that have figured out that they can work remotely from anywhere. But they don't tend to be sports fans. Others I talk to about where they went on vacation, etc., needless to say it's been a boring year.

At any rate, making a patient comfortable with being in the chair is half my job, which I do with...BS :D  (plus it keeps me entertained.)

I think you like it because you get to do 90% of the talking :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I think you like it because you get to do 90% of the talking :ph34r:

I’ve always wondered if this was a defense against the awkwardness of the situation. Digging in the mouth is a pretty intimate activity and I’m more than willing to stare at the ceiling in silence while the job is done. But these goddamn dentist office people are determined to make me mumble small talk. My jokes are wasted.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 hours ago, Mano said:

Did they give 90 day notice before shutting down? I worked.for a software studio of a little more than 200 people that was shut down by parent company, and they were required to either give 90 days notice or 90 days severance.  This was in 2005, so I suppose the laws could have changed since then.

IANAL, but you may want to look up the WARN laws, both federal and for the state in which you work. Quickly glancing over them, it appears that 60 day notice is required federally for mass layoff, not the 90 I stated above.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 hours ago, Mano said:

They gave us 60