Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Utah State at Boise State (2 Games)

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Utah State is going to have a significant drop off when Neemias Queta goes pro after this year.

I heard similar things after Sam Merrill left. Craig Smith is a very good coach. If he doesn't bolt they'll be solid year in and year out. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

I heard similar things after Sam Merrill left. Craig Smith is a very good coach. If he doesn't bolt they'll be solid year in and year out. 

Neemias Queta is the other key impact player.  Nobody else on Utah State can impact the game.  Teams have a hard time scoring inside the three point line when he’s in the floor.  The backup is AWFUL.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Props to Smith. Utah St will find another Merrill before they find another Queta. It's not a diss, going the international route to find 7-footer THAT skilled under the radar was a major score. He would've been a McDonald All-American if he grew up in the states.

Normally when you pull a 0-star 7-footer from Europe or Africa they have a pitutary problem, bad knees, and can barely dribble a basketball. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

Props to Smith. Utah St will find another Merrill before they find another Queta. It's not a diss, going the international route to find 7-footer THAT skilled under the radar was a major score. He would've been a McDonald All-American if he grew up in the states.

Normally when you pull a 0-star 7-footer from Europe or Africa they have a pitutary problem, bad knees, and can barely dribble a basketball. 

I agree that Smith and Co. lucked into landing Queta. It really helped that we had Brito on the roster at the time. Not only was it a fellow Portuguese player for Queta to relate to but he really helped make the necessary paperwork go smooth on both ends.

The funny thing is all we have heard since Queta has been an Aggie is how overrated he is, how NBA scouts say he is too knock kneed to be successful, and how he brings little to the offensive end of the court. He's basically been seen as an elite shot blocker and that is it. I personally think that after coach Smith he is the biggest reason the Aggies have been so successful for 3 years now. He changes everything on the court at both ends when he's in. We have not had a lot of players like that and frankly, there have not been a lot of MWC players that have done that on both ends of the court.

Queta is a stud, has been for a couple years. 

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

56 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Neemias Queta is the other key impact player.  Nobody else on Utah State can impact the game.  Teams have a hard time scoring inside the three point line when he’s in the floor.  The backup is AWFUL.

Queta will be a big loss when he decides to go. Dorius didn't have many minutes or play that well when he was in but he has shown he can be very good in other games. The Aggies biggest asset this year is that they are a balanced team with all 5 starters averaging double figures and 3 others that average 5-7 points/game. That balance was disrupted last night. It was the first game all year that the Aggies played without Worster and not having him really changes a lot. All of a sudden the Aggies not only lose his points and assists but they have to go to a 7 man rotation as opposed to 8 which forced a lot of guys to have to play more than they are used to. They also lose his size and replace it with a much smaller and lighter Ashworth.

If Worster is done for the year then I don't like the Aggies' chances of making the tourney and perhaps the other 3 MWC teams would be better reps in that scenario anyway. I would rather see 100% full healthy teams represent in the tourney than send a team that is not the same or not at full strength.

39 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I agree that Smith and Co. lucked into landing Queta. It really helped that we had Brito on the roster at the time. Not only was it a fellow Portuguese player for Queta to relate to but he really helped make the necessary paperwork go smooth on both ends.

The funny thing is all we have heard since Queta has been an Aggie is how overrated he is, how NBA scouts say he is too knock kneed to be successful, and how he brings little to the offensive end of the court. He's basically been seen as an elite shot blocker and that is it. I personally think that after coach Smith he is the biggest reason the Aggies have been so successful for 3 years now. He changes everything on the court at both ends when he's in. We have not had a lot of players like that and frankly, there have not been a lot of MWC players that have done that on both ends of the court.

He's always been a top MWC post.  But the critique of him in past years was accurate from the NBA perspective.  Not this year, he's a MAN.  No physical weakness and he's showing his pivot foot down moves under the basket and his mid range jumper now.   

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Hold on there stat manipulator, I've got to check your Bronco blue goggles just a tad. 

USU Season FG Average vs Last Night: 45.31% vs 46.0%.... While technically true, USU did shoot better, you're really going to argue about less than a 1% difference? I think USU shot less than a percentage better because by design Boise allowed Queta to take lots of very high percentage shots in the paint (lay-ups, alley-oops, etc). Ditto for Bean and Anthony 

BSU Season FG Average vs Last Night 46.2% vs 44.4%... not too big of a difference there either: on 63 shots you maybe make one more. 

As I was watching the game I concur, both teams generally played solid. However, I wasn't watching thinking: hey USU is shooting way better than normal. Actually the opposite, especially from 3

USU Season 3 FG % Average vs Last Night: 34.4%, 18.8%

BSU Season 3 FG % Average vs Last Night: 34.8%, 34,8%

By the stats, BSU shot about as well as they do normally from the field and on par from beyond the arc. USU shot a tad better from inside the arc and much worse beyond.

If you want to argue USU shot worse from 3 because BSU played better perimeter defense or some other attribution, I'm willing to have that discussion, but let's not distort stats to support an argument that isn't there: namely that Boise normally shoots tons better and USU shoots tons worse. There were glaring differences in USU's 3 point shooting (much worse) and their FT shooting (Queta made 2.5 more FTs than he normally does percentage wise.)

Both teams played well and Boise was better. If Boise gets Doutrive back I expect a sweep, if not... it's a toss-up. I have a massive dick. 

You responded to my response of a baggie saying that having watched that, he was certain that the baggies would win the next game. Your analysis was brilliant and is quite similar to the point I was making. 

Neither team played poor, and neither team played great. They kinda played like they play. So help me out and put your baggie blue goggles back on and 'splain to me how watching that game would give a baggie that confidence. 

BTW, I feel it's a coin flip. Boise has been inconsistent of late. Nothing in that game gave me confidence of either the same or a different result in the 2nd game. I don't feel any different going into the 2nd game than I did going into the 1st

3 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

How long is he out for?  I'm hoping we get Doutrive back Friday. I'd assumed dental emergency would be a one game thing so I think he will be.

Rumor on the homer board is Worster has a stress fracture that was made more serious by playing in the Fresno game a couple weeks ago. If true I think we'll be lucky to have him back by the MW tournament. 

USU obviously needs him against Boise tomorrow, but Nevada's guards will absolutely torch us if he's still out next week. Ashworth is really good on offense but gets out of position and beat up physically on defense. 

Did they ever say what happened with Doutrive? 

1 minute ago, mondego said:

Rumor on the homer board is Worster has a stress fracture that was made more serious by playing in the Fresno game a couple weeks ago. If true I think we'll be lucky to have him back by the MW tournament. 

USU obviously needs him against Boise tomorrow, but Nevada's guards will absolutely torch us if he's still out next week. Ashworth is really good on offense but gets out of position and beat up physically on defense. 

Did they ever say what happened with Doutrive? 

Dental emergency. I think had a tooth removed or fixed and probably couldn't play due to pain meds etc.  I'd expect two days is enough to be back but not 100% sure what he had done.

USU would be in the bottom half of the MWC without Queta this year. He has a huge impact on the defensive end. Teams can’t score much inside and USU can play tight on the perimeter knowing they have a shot blocker behind them if they get beat. On the offensive end the only team that can play him straight up is SDSU with Mensah.

The rematch tomorrow should be another dog eat dog affair. The motivation factor lies with the Aggies. A loss severely hurts their shot at an at large selection to the Dance. It hurts the Broncos too, but not as bad IMO. Will Worster and Doutrive play? The loss of Worster hurts the Aggies more than the loss of Doutrive to the Broncos. 

I see USU making some changes to try and free up their three point shooters. Likely Queta setting more high post screens. I also see Bean having a better game. Kigab limited him in the first game. Alston will continue to be a bad matchup for the Aggies. 

It’s going to be another huge game with a lot at stake.

17 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

You responded to my response of a baggie saying that having watched that, he was certain that the baggies would win the next game. Your analysis was brilliant and is quite similar to the point I was making. 

Neither team played poor, and neither team played great. They kinda played like they play. So help me out and put your baggie blue goggles back on and 'splain to me how watching that game would give a baggie that confidence. 

BTW, I feel it's a coin flip. Boise has been inconsistent of late. Nothing in that game gave me confidence of either the same or a different result in the 2nd game. I don't feel any different going into the 2nd game than I did going into the 1st

I don't think the Aggies played at all like they play, I think that was the point of all the stats. They couldn't throw it in the ocean from 3pt and that was the difference. All other numbers we relatively "normal" but USU once again lost because they could not prove to hit a shot from beyond the arc. It is the same reason they lost to CSU and UNLV.....just poor shooting performances from 3. If they repeat that performance and shoot 25% or less from 3 (like they did in all 3 losses) they will lose again.

I feel the same as you about the second game. Even if Worster for some reason plays, he will obviously be doing so injured which is not good. If he doesn't play, I think the switch to a mainly 7-man rotation will take its toll on the Aggies even more in game 2. That was one of the worst defensive performances we have seen from the Aggies and it could get worse on Friday without more bodies.

49 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I don't think the Aggies played at all like they play, I think that was the point of all the stats. They couldn't throw it in the ocean from 3pt and that was the difference. All other numbers we relatively "normal" but USU once again lost because they could not prove to hit a shot from beyond the arc. It is the same reason they lost to CSU and UNLV.....just poor shooting performances from 3. If they repeat that performance and shoot 25% or less from 3 (like they did in all 3 losses) they will lose again.

I feel the same as you about the second game. Even if Worster for some reason plays, he will obviously be doing so injured which is not good. If he doesn't play, I think the switch to a mainly 7-man rotation will take its toll on the Aggies even more in game 2. That was one of the worst defensive performances we have seen from the Aggies and it could get worse on Friday without more bodies.

That was addressed during the game thread. Boise clearly had a plan to guard Queta one-on-one and mark the shooters so they wouldn't go off. Queta did go for a career high because of that, but he also had zero assists and USU wasn't able to get going from the outside. That was largely Boise picking their poison

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

USU would be in the bottom half of the MWC without Queta this year. He has a huge impact on the defensive end. Teams can’t score much inside and USU can play tight on the perimeter knowing they have a shot blocker behind them if they get beat. On the offensive end the only team that can play him straight up is SDSU with Mensah.

The rematch tomorrow should be another dog eat dog affair. The motivation factor lies with the Aggies. A loss severely hurts their shot at an at large selection to the Dance. It hurts the Broncos too, but not as bad IMO. Will Worster and Doutrive play? The loss of Worster hurts the Aggies more than the loss of Doutrive to the Broncos. 

I see USU making some changes to try and free up their three point shooters. Likely Queta setting more high post screens. I also see Bean having a better game. Kigab limited him in the first game. Alston will continue to be a bad matchup for the Aggies. 

It’s going to be another huge game with a lot at stake.

I actually thought that Armus did a very good job against Queta before he got in to foul trouble and eventually fouled out. He had 8 pts, 7 rbs (4 offensive), 2 ast, and 1 stl in just 18 minutes. I actually thought that he outplayed Queta in the 1st half or, at the very least, played him even

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Lukas Milner played a heck of a game. Still think he has a lot of upside next year. 

I agree. Defensively he has a long way to go, but he does well moving without the ball and has soft hands around the basket

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Wut? A few weeks ago Leon didn't even want to play in the MW tournament to avoid covid before the NCAA, and now he wants to schedule more games?

fallontonight funny lol sad haha GIF

A few weeks ago, Covid infection rates looked way different than they do now.

BTW, if this post works, may I ask the board moderators to turn my full access back on? I’ve been lurking here for years unable to post.