Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

MWT fans. When will we get an update?

I know a couple weeks back the mw said probably no fans but they didn't rule out having some fans.

We are 3 weeks from the women's bracket starting and abt 3.5 weeks from the men's. They gotta have an answer pretty soon. I mean if u are allowing some fans would probably wanna announce at least 2 weeks(if possible) before mwt.

Is the mw just waiting to see what other conferences do? Waiting to see what the ncaat does? To me that is a lazy way out. If they feel there should or shouldn't be fans they should decide that independently not just follow the leader.

I still think it is insane to not have at least some fans. I mean having 2k in upper deck seems very conservative and I can't imagine that would pose ANY risk to the players (if it did there would have been a bunch of outbreaks already caused by fans.  Many venues, even indoor, allow some fans). Have 2k ticket and sell each ticket for 1k. That is 2 mil in ticket revenue right there. I mean I know 1k is a mark up (especially for bad seats) but I am sure there are at least 2k mw fans that would pay that price (including me lol).

1 minute ago, ProvoAggie said:

I haven't missed a conference tournament in several years and this year would be no different if allowed but I just don't see it unfortunately. I don't think that Nevada's current regulations allow for fans. To have fans they'd likely need to move the tournament to Utah or I guess Wyoming as I'm not sure any other western states allow fans at this time.

There are what like 5 conference tournaments in vegas? Pretty sure nv would allow some fans if the conferences requested. Covid cases have been dropping for like a mth and 10% of population has gotten at least the first vaccination. 

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

I know a couple weeks back the mw said probably no fans but they didn't rule out having some fans.

We are 3 weeks from the women's bracket starting and abt 3.5 weeks from the men's. They gotta have an answer pretty soon. I mean if u are allowing some fans would probably wanna announce at least 2 weeks(if possible) before mwt.

Is the mw just waiting to see what other conferences do? Waiting to see what the ncaat does? To me that is a lazy way out. If they feel there should or shouldn't be fans they should decide that independently not just follow the leader.

I still think it is insane to not have at least some fans. I mean having 2k in upper deck seems very conservative and I can't imagine that would pose ANY risk to the players (if it did there would have been a bunch of outbreaks already caused by fans.  Many venues, even indoor, allow some fans). Have 2k ticket and sell each ticket for 1k. That is 2 mil in ticket revenue right there. I mean I know 1k is a mark up (especially for bad seats) but I am sure there are at least 2k mw fans that would pay that price (including me lol).

First we have to find out if there's actually going to be a tourney.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

First we have to find out if there's actually going to be a tourney.

Well NCAAT has to happen they cant afford to cx two years in a row. Yes the mw, in order to reduce odds of ncaat teams getting covid, could call off the mwt and give auto bid to regular season champ. 

So basically does the mw want to assure two bids (skip mwt) or go for 3 (play mwt). Also do they want there ncaat teams cold (ie skip mwt) going in to ncaat?

Honestly from my perspective I would want all the teams to head to vegas on 2/28. Get tested 3/1-3/4. Play as many make up games @unlv from 3/4 to 3/8, play mwt, and then have any potential ncaat teams stay in vegas through that sunday when field is announced. Teams that make ncaat stay in vegas until they head to indy. To me this would basically eliminate a potential covid outbreak but would cost a bit (ie every team is basically spending 2 weeks in vegas) and some coordination with unlv/high schools to assure everyone gets pratice time. 

15 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Well NCAAT has to happen they cant afford to cx two years in a row. Yes the mw, in order to reduce odds of ncaat teams getting covid, could call off the mwt and give auto bid to regular season champ. 

So basically does the mw want to assure two bids (skip mwt) or go for 3 (play mwt). Also do they want there ncaat teams cold (ie skip mwt) going in to ncaat?

Honestly from my perspective I would want all the teams to head to vegas on 2/28. Get tested 3/1-3/4. Play as many make up games @unlv from 3/4 to 3/8, play mwt, and then have any potential ncaat teams stay in vegas through that sunday when field is announced. Teams that make ncaat stay in vegas until they head to indy. To me this would basically eliminate a potential covid outbreak but would cost a bit (ie every team is basically spending 2 weeks in vegas) and some coordination with unlv/high schools to assure everyone gets pratice time. 

F-ck playing makeup games at the T&M. UNLV owes the 'Pokes two games IN Laradise. The MWT is already scheduled to begin on March 10th.

And if you really want to reduce the chance of a COVID outbreak, move the Tournament to Laramie as well...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

They should only have the Top 4 teams at the Mountain West Tournament.  If they allow more they are being irresponsible and should look in the mirror and realize they don't belong working in amateur athletics.

TOP 4 ONLY at MWC Tournament.  Do the right thing for once.

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Traveling to Vegas and playing in the MWC tourney will not put anyone at any further risk of Covid than playing a bunch of home and home's, or two game series, or whatever.  Play as many make up games as possible in the scheduled venues, then hold the tournament as planned.  Then go home and see if you're going to Indy.  If you are, go to Indy.

That's too easy though.  Somebody will come up with some very popular convoluted way to overreact, including possibly canceling the conference tourney.

7 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

They should only have the Top 4 teams at the Mountain West Tournament.  If they allow more they are being irresponsible and should look in the mirror and realize they don't belong working in amateur athletics.

TOP 4 ONLY at MWC Tournament.  Do the right thing for once.

If that is the logic then there shouldn't even be a tournament. Just send the season champ as the auto qualifier.

54 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

If that is the logic then there shouldn't even be a tournament. Just send the season champ as the auto qualifier.

Except it's not logical "logic". It's RebRobbie magic unicorns and rainbows logic.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

20 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Traveling to Vegas and playing in the MWC tourney will not put anyone at any further risk of Covid than playing a bunch of home and home's, or two game series, or whatever.  I---> Not sure how your comparison is salient.  "Traveling to Vegas & playing in the MWC tourney..." is riskier than staying home.    

Play as many make up games as possible in the scheduled venues, then hold the tournament as planned.  Then go home and see if you're going to Indy.  If you are, go to Indy.

That's too easy though.  Somebody will come up with some very popular convoluted way to overreact, including possibly canceling the conference tourney.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, Headbutt said:

Traveling to Vegas and playing in the MWC tourney will not put anyone at any further risk of Covid than playing a bunch of home and home's, or two game series, or whatever.  Play as many make up games as possible in the scheduled venues, then hold the tournament as planned.  Then go home and see if you're going to Indy.  If you are, go to Indy.

You are right, if there is a way to overreact then people will do it.  Fact of the matter is the covid cases are plummeting across most of the states in the MWC.  Add in the fact that probably ~10-15% of all adult population have vaccinated and I would guess by the time the tournament rolled around the the number would ~20% or more.  I think it is completely possible to hold it with ~3-4k fans at the T&M, but I would not hold my breath.  I love going to the tournament.

Well the Vegas race way is gonna allow fans for their march 5-7 event. They are guessing 20% but not confirmed yet. Obviously different as that is sn outdoor venue but still something.

20% of Thomas and mack.would be 3584. Or basically the normal crowd size for the Wednesday opening round games. I would take that at this point. Would still jist be 325 tickets per school so really depends on how the tickets would be distributed as to how easy they would be to get. I mean if they just throw them all on Thomas and mack website should not be that hard to get but if they give them to schools could get tricky unless u are a big donnor (ie a school with their 325 tickets might give 50 to friends and family of players/coaches and sell the other 275 to donnors only and never give general public a chance). But the longer they wait to an8the more likely they just sell them on the Thomas and mack site as giving them to schools (and schools selling/giving away) takes time.