Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

2021 Baseball Thread

11 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Hard to call a second-ranked team pesky.

But Texas goes down and it is an all-all-SEC affair with Vandy and Mississippi State.  Rucker and Leiter are such an advantage for the Whistlers.

Mississippi State used to share a Graduate degree program with San Jose State. So for that reason, I hope they beat Vanderbilt.  

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I am pulling for the Dogs, since Vandy won one recently 

Mississippi State is seeking their first national title in any sport.  I didn't realize they had none.

Do Thunder and Lightning have any eligibility left?  Even in their 50s, Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro could still help the Dogs out.

A-BTO6lCQAAN-d6.jpg

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31740978/college-world-series-2021-mississippi-state-ends-126-year-title-drought

About 1% of the state of Mississippi had made the long journey to Omaha to will the Bulldogs to victory, or at least chase away ghosts. There was Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Dak Prescott in a white MSU polo and backward cap, screaming like a college student, seven years removed from the fall in which he led a MSU football team that was ranked No. 1 for a few weeks.

There was four-time MLB All-Star Rafael Palmeiro, part of one of the best college baseball teams to never win a national championship, recording the moment on his phone.

Palmeiro recently pulled a few players aside and broke it down simply: "If you win, you'll be gods."

Arizona has their next coach.  It is Chip Hale, a UA alum who this year was the 3rd base coach of the Detroit Tigers.  He was also briefly the Arizona Diamondbacks manager in 2015 and 2016.

Kendall Rogers of D1 baseball guessed that Andrew Checketts' price was too high for Arizona, and will remain at UCSB.

I thought Checketts was going to be the guy too. I know he was a target for the Oregon job. Good on UCSB to keep him there as long as they have. It's fun rooting for them in the postseason against the P5's.

It'll be 10 full years and counting next season. Hard to pry successful head coaches away from Santa Barbara. The location protects us against poaching better than most.

However, there is one job which hasn't opened yet and might be the one gig we cannot beat out; that's UCLA.  A Fullerton fan wrote this on our message board.  

With Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU, USC, ASU and Arizona all hiring new coaches over the last four seasons, unless Checketts leaves for a job in another part of the country (SEC, ACC, Big 12) for a big payday it seems like he is waiting for one job - UCLA.  That would be a natural transition with Checketts staying in CA and going from one UC school to another.  The good thing for UCSB is Savage is only 56 and it doesn't look like he has any plans to retire anytime soon.