Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

2021 Baseball Thread

The University of New Mexico’s baseball team (1-3) showed a strong defensive game versus Oregon State (3-1), but it was not enough to hold the Beavers, dropping 2-5 in the last game of the Sanderson Ford Baseball Classic.

Next up: February 27th, 2 home games against the AFA, in Amarillo, TX. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

With the re-structuring of MiLB, does that end up raising the level of ball being played at the collegiate level going forward? With fewer slots available for minor league ball players here stateside, do we see more guys sticking around for their senior year? Or will guys look to find paying jobs in Mexico or Asia? 

6 hours ago, dshawfan said:

With the re-structuring of MiLB, does that end up raising the level of ball being played at the collegiate level going forward? With fewer slots available for minor league ball players here stateside, do we see more guys sticking around for their senior year? Or will guys look to find paying jobs in Mexico or Asia? 

I honestly do think we could see some younger players head to Japan because of this IF Carter Stewart is also successful in NPB. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I honestly do think we could see some younger players head to Japan because of this IF Carter Stewart is also successful in NPB. 

Have a former player that played SS A ball for Diamondbacks in 19, was scheduled to go to Illinois in 20, but was released when Milb was shut down. Played winter ball in Mexicali, and now is in the process of playing in Yucatán this season. Kid’s working his arse off to get another shot here state side. 

Team Overall Record Conference Record  
Nevada 3-1 0-0  
San Diego State 2-1 0-0  
Air Force 1-2 0-0  
New Mexico 1-3 0-0  
Fresno State 0-0 0-0  
San Jose State 0-0 0-0  
UNLV 0-0 0-0  

Next Week's Games Opponent Time Media

Air Force      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 12 PM MT  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 3:30 PM MT  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 11 AM MT  

Fresno State      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 San Jose State POSTPONED  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 San Jose State POSTPONED  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 San Jose State POSTPONED  

Nevada      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 at UNLV 11:05 AM PT  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 at UNLV TBD  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 at UNLV 11:05 AM PT  

New Mexico      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 Air Force (Amarillo, TX) 12 PM MT  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 Air Force (Amarillo, TX) 3:30 PM MT  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 Air Force (Amarillo, TX) 11 AM MT  

San Diego State      
Friday, February 26, 2021 UC San Diego 1 PM PT MWN
Saturday, February 27, 2021 UC San Diego 1 PM PT  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 at UC San Diego 1PM PT ESPN3
Sunday, February 28, 2021 at UC San Diego 6 PM PT ESPN3

San Jose State      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 at Fresno State POSTPONED  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 at Fresno State POSTPONED  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 at Fresno State POSTPONED  

UNLV      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 Nevada 11:05 AM PT  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 Nevada TBD  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 Nevada 11:05 AM PT  

Air Force      
Saturday, February 27, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 12 PM MT  
Saturday, February 27, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 3:30 PM MT  
Sunday, February 28, 2021 New Mexico (Amarillo, TX) 11 AM MT

News flash... looks like Lobo Baseball will be able to play home games in Albuquerque. Per Geof Grammer.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Location change for the AFA vs UNM baseball series, changed to... Albuquerque!

"New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has announced that outdoor sporting events can be hosted by The University of New Mexico with limited fan capacity. The announcement will allow Lobo Baseball to host the Air Force Falcons this Saturday in a doubleheader at Santa Ana Star Field."

https://golobos.com/news/2021/02/24/lobo-athletics-can-host-outdoor-events-with-limited-capacity/

19 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Location change for the AFA vs UNM baseball series, changed to... Albuquerque!

"New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has announced that outdoor sporting events can be hosted by The University of New Mexico with limited fan capacity. The announcement will allow Lobo Baseball to host the Air Force Falcons this Saturday in a doubleheader at Santa Ana Star Field."

https://golobos.com/news/2021/02/24/lobo-athletics-can-host-outdoor-events-with-limited-capacity/

Meanwhile, the NMAA won't let spectators attend Spring sports despite the fact that getting Covid is 20x more likely in an indoor setting than outdoors and we're allowing some indoor dining in the New Mexico. My HS senior baseball player play in a 6000 seat venue. I'm sure the 50 or so parents can find a seat somewhere socially distanced.  New Mexico science making decisions again.

4 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Meanwhile, the NMAA won't let spectators attend Spring sports despite the fact that getting Covid is 20x more likely in an indoor setting than outdoors and we're allowing some indoor dining in the New Mexico. My HS senior baseball player play in a 6000 seat venue. I'm sure the 50 or so parents can find a seat somewhere socially distanced.  New Mexico science making decisions again.

That all may change by the end of the month or early March. We've got to start somewhere, and this is a START. Maybe this weekends series with the AFA at the SAS, will further prove to the state, that they can safely extend down to the high school level. The science is real, but like anything else, it comes down to how its applied. Outdoors is safer than indoors, but I believe we can also host safely indoors as well, but for right now, it's still a covid numbers game to state government.

2 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Tritons home field have made some upgrades since the Aztecs last visit to La Jolla.  And the first meeting was 50 years ago!

12 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

That all may change by the end of the month or early March. We've got to start somewhere, and this is a START. Maybe this weekends series with the AFA at the SAS, will further prove to the state, that they can safely extend down to the high school level. The science is real, but like anything else, it comes down to how its applied. Outdoors is safer than indoors, but I believe we can also host safely indoors as well, but for right now, it's still a covid numbers game to state government.

I don’t have any confidence that any decision at the State is based on any science. As a scientist, I’m pretty current with the science. Our mayor and a coalition of mayors feels the same frustration as I do. He asked the governors office yesterday for clarification regarding spectators at HS sports after UNM announced their baseball spectator rules and was told that UNM and the Isotopes have strict testing protocols that High Schools don’t have. Uh..no spectators are tested at any level. Dumb answer. Oh and face coverings are still required to fish at the newly opened state parks. That’s one activity where people will socially distance across the whole political spectrum. I hope you’re right that they’ll open up soon. 

T5

Them 4

Aztecs 0 

B6

Them 4

Aztecs 1, runners on the corners no one out

B6

Them 4

Aztecs 3, Sac Fly and 2 errors 

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 4, 2 singles, error and a passed ball, runners at 2nd and 3rd, no outs

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 5, scoring gb, 2 outs, runners at 2nd and 3rd

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 6, passed ball

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 7, 2 out 2 strike rbi single

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 8, rbi single off the RF wall. Aztecs w 5 hits this inning and have batted around.

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 9, rbi single, Aztecs hitting .500 on the season w 2 outs

B7

Them 4

Aztecs 10, inf single