Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

National Anthem before games?

28 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

at the same time witnessing a national anthem live, when its done well is an emotional experience for me, it does give a sense of national pride. I do love America and I often tear up (although Trump and his supporters have depressed my nationalism so drastically, that there were times I hated my country over the past 4 years).

If it weren't for sporting events I would never been in a position to hear it performed. Maybe, we don't need to have it at every sporting event, but maybe save it for specific events (sporting events on National holidays, on 9/11, games where we are celebrating our troops and veterans, games with military academies, etc.)

I could go for that.  To me it is a little bit like communion at church, taken too frequently it becomes too routine.  At the end of the day, it is probably not that big and would be fine either way.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I have no strong opinion.

I think it's another weird American thing where we like to insert nationalism into places where it doesn't really belong

On the other hand, I don't really think it's meant to be much of a malicious statement for most people. 

Most people just half heartedly do it because they always have.

It's kinda like non religious people who still celebrate Christmas 

18 minutes ago, sebasour said:

It's kinda like non religious people who still celebrate Christmas 

or just go thru the motions when they find themselves in church

on a side note, I've been know to take communion at Catholic services just to piss someone off :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

on a side note, I've been know to take communion at Catholic services just to piss someone off :ph34r:

MIssion accomplished...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That's kind of lame if you are not Catholic.  Kind of a dick move.  No offense.

4 hours ago, WYO1016 said:

It's fricken weird. Boomers are going to be REALLY mad about this. They're the large majority of the "if you served in the military you are second only to God" crowd. My dad stands and takes his hat off when the anthem is played ON TV.

This is one of those traditions that needs to be taken away. People will be up in arms for about 5 minutes, and then they'll realize that they still get to watch their games.

While we're at it, let's take out the "salute to service" type uniforms, too. All it's doing is leading to more nationalism.

These are games. Let's stop taking them so damn seriously.

I think it depends on the the Boomer. I turned 18 just after the last year of the draft lottery. Things were very different then in the early ‘70s. Vietnam was winding down and there was far less overt patriotism. Although they played the anthem before games, it was not uncommon at all for many people to sit through it. And the whole “thank you for your service” was nowhere to be found. The latter is a very recent phenomenon. It’s really post first Gulf War and especially post-911. When I volunteered for the Army in the mid-70s everyone thought I was absolutely nuts. The current high regard is definitely contrary to the way the military was perceived throughout most of our history. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's not even that pretty of a song. We have one of the objectively worst national anthems, musically speaking. 

The music was taken from a Brit drinking song.

The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a men's social club in London. "To Anacreon in Heaven" (or "The Anacreontic Song"), with various lyrics, was already popular in the United States

President Wilson asked that it be used used for Military functions and other occasions. Its first use at sporting events was for baseball games in 1898, during the 1918 World Series, and was then used during WW2 before every baseball game played.

1916, President Woodrow Wilson ordered that "The Star-Spangled Banner" be played at military[19] and other appropriate occasions. The playing of the song two years later during the seventh-inning stretch of Game One of the 1918 World Series, and thereafter during each game of the series is often cited as the first instance that the anthem was played at a baseball game,[20] though evidence shows that the "Star-Spangled Banner" was performed as early as 1897 at opening day ceremonies in Philadelphia and then more regularly at the Polo Grounds in New York City beginning in 1898. In any case, the tradition of performing the national anthem before every baseball game began in World War II.[21]

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

The music was taken from a Brit drinking song.

President Wilson asked that it be used used for Military functions and other occasions. Its first use at sporting events was for baseball games in 1898, during the 1918 World Series, and was then used during WW2 before every baseball game played.

Yup. They should have taken it from an Irish drinking song. It would have been better. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, yes it is, I'm sure I'll burn in non-existent hell. None taken.

Just out of curiosity because I like you do you consider yourself atheist, or more of an agnostic?  Was it you or another poster that was the Buddhist on here?

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Edelweiss is amazeballs.

You know who disagreed?

image.jpeg.7e8aa780736e68330cb130c3625c9898.jpeg

Plummer told Fresh Air that he was ultimately grateful for the film and its success, though in 2012 when Scott Simon asked him whether he ever found himself singing "Edelweiss" all these years later, his response was:

"Of course not — are you mad?!"

but maybe he was still pissed about being dubbed :shrug:

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Just out of curiosity because I like you do you consider yourself atheist, or more of an agnostic?  Was it you or another poster that was the Buddhist on here?

I consider myself an atheist.

I've practiced Buddhism, although not strenuously, for many years. First took an interest in the early 80's thru the Naropa Institute in Boulder and occasionally, 4 or 5 times a year, attend services at the Reno Buddhist Center.

44 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I think it depends on the the Boomer. I turned 18 just after the last year of the draft lottery. Things were very different then in the early ‘70s. Vietnam was winding down and there was far less overt patriotism. Although they played the anthem before games, it was not uncommon at all for many people to sit through it. And the whole “thank you for your service” was nowhere to be found. The latter is a very recent phenomenon. It’s really post first Gulf War and especially post-911. When I volunteered for the Army in the mid-70s everyone thought I was absolutely nuts. The current high regard is definitely contrary to the way the military was perceived throughout most of our history. 

Absolutley agree. Stereotyping is a dangerous game. I think we're on the same page here, though.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I consider myself an atheist.

I've practiced Buddhism, although not strenuously, for many years. First took an interest in the early 80's thru the Naropa Institute in Boulder and occasionally, 4 or 5 times a year, attend services at the Reno Buddhist Center.

Maybe over the course of several years and further good conversations I can help turn you into an agnostic.

Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Here's my beef with the NA before games...often it's just some jerk off for the person signing it and I have to watch and listen to their self indulgent jerk off session, with reverence, or I'm a bad person. 

I resent that.

It is a weird marriage, as someone else put it, but I have seen some honest, patriotic and heartfelt performances that I've enjoyed very much.

But in the end , I really don't think we need to bring the national anthem into a college sports game between UNLV and San Jose State.  It's a bit forced.

You're coming at this the wrong way. It's not your lack of reverence that makes you a bad person....that's pretty far down on the list of reasons. :whistle:

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It just makes me laugh when boomers/older X'ers hate on "what the kids listen to" when they are fans of literally the worst music in history.  80's big hair garbage.

@Nevada Convert

WTF???  I hated that shit. The early 80’s was great and it all changed around 85. Some of the very worst were bands like Bon Jovi (first album in the early 80’s was tolerable), Warrant, Poison, White Lion, Winger, etc. There were a ton of bands that were good in the early 80’s that turned to shit in the later 80’s when the labels demanded they follow the trend. There’s a lot of music made since then to today that’s just as bad and a lot worse. Today’s pop music is extremely boring and 1 dimensional. Country music today is so fvcking stupid, it can’t be for real. 

Songs like “Cherry Pie” are definitely in the worst songs ever category, no question. I refer to that as Cock Rock. However, anyone that stereotypes 80’s rock as hair band garbage has no credibility to even discuss 80’s rock. A lot happened between 1980 and 1990, and a lot of the very best rock ever created happened in the 80’s. The 70’s were the most polarizing decade where you had a lot of horrid music and a lot of the best music ever made in all genres. 

kat.jpg