Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

National Anthem before games?

Man, some arm sleeve patriots and snowflakes aren't going to like this:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30869922/dallas-mavericks-stopped-playing-national-anthem-home-games-owner-mark-cuban-direction

The Dallas Mavericks have stopped playing the national anthem before home games at the direction of owner Mark Cuban, he confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday. The Mavericks do not plan to resume the tradition to play the national anthem before games in the future.

Cuban is well within his right as a business owner IMO.

That said, the best part of the National Anthem for me before games is that we get introduced to local artists and other talented singers and musicians. I enjoy the National Anthem as part of the entertainment value in going to the game. I'm not sure this is a wise business decision but time will tell. I can't imagine many baseball teams will follow the same path.

4 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

We need more shared cultural experiences to bring us together.  The national anthem helps in that regard.  

Not sure all those dirty foreigners in baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, et al, see it that way.  It's still just a job, and aint none of our employers playing the anthem before we start our jobs. 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Not sure all those dirty foreigners in baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, et al, see it that way.  It's still just a job, and aint none of our employers playing the anthem before we start our jobs. 

Do 50,000 people pay to show up and watch you do your job? 

Comparing a fork lift operator to a professional entertainer/athlete is silly. The consumer for the fork lift operator is the client that wants something built.  They want it built properly and efficiently.  The consumer for the professional athlete is the general public that pays big bucks to attend the games.  They want their team to win and to be entertained.

It's fricken weird. Boomers are going to be REALLY mad about this. They're the large majority of the "if you served in the military you are second only to God" crowd. My dad stands and takes his hat off when the anthem is played ON TV.

This is one of those traditions that needs to be taken away. People will be up in arms for about 5 minutes, and then they'll realize that they still get to watch their games.

While we're at it, let's take out the "salute to service" type uniforms, too. All it's doing is leading to more nationalism.

These are games. Let's stop taking them so damn seriously.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

21 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Comparing a fork lift operator to a professional entertainer/athlete is silly. The consumer for the fork lift operator is the client that wants something built.  They want it built properly and efficiently.  The consumer for the professional athlete is the general public that pays big bucks to attend the games.  They want their team to win and to be entertained.

Yes they do.  I'm very good at my job.

:facepalm:

They dont play the anthem before movies, musicals, concerts, etc, either.  Pretty sure those draw crowds that want to be entertained, too.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The funny part is although there is x amount of players kneeling or raising their fists...there are way more people walking the concourse, making their way to their seats, on their phone, talking with their friends, or not even standing. 

I took my girls to a movie (Black Panther) on a military base. They still play the national anthem (or maybe it was the pledge, I forget) before the movie. And every single person in there is standing at attention and quiet. After the movie, the first comment both made was how weird that anything like that would have 100% participation. Mainly because any where it does happen, it does not have full participation.

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

Live sex cam? ;)

That'a just a hobby.

43 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I've been at like sporting events with young kids and they still play the national anthem when there's like 40-50 watching too.  I don't have a problem with it either way. It's also an easy way to eliminate the controversy.  Just stop doing it or televising it.

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

They dont play the anthem before movies, musicals, concerts, etc, either.  Pretty sure those draw crowds that want to be entertained, too.

Umm, yes they do at many of these things. In fact, they played the National Anthem at every movie theatre I've personally been to in the last year.

As I said earlier, it is a business decision. Perhaps the Dallas Mavericks fanbase won't care either way. Cuban has certainly shown himself to be a good business man. But I am willing to bet that most NFL and MLB teams won't follow.

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

This didn't exactly "bring us together".

image.jpeg.d226e660cab88c31880bc5c6ce80ab3f.jpeg

I would argue that it did bring us together. It gave a minority group a platform to express a viewpoint that many in the majority group were unaware of. It gave people like me an opportunity to try and see things through the lens of someone different than me.  IF that is not bringing us as a diverse nation together, then I don't know what is.

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Black man must stand and CRY when pretty song plays!

It's not even that pretty of a song. We have one of the objectively worst national anthems, musically speaking. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's not even that pretty of a song. We have one of the objectively worst national anthems, musically speaking. 

You disrespect our troops like that again and see what happens!

Also, I have Bronco Country pissed off because I drew a correlation between people who get triggered by kneeling and people stupid enough to think Van Halen ever made good music.  Thought you would like that.