Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maynard Delecto

2021 Mountain West Softball

14 hours ago, Bluebronco79 said:

I think they can break it up as much as they want.  Softball generally carries less players but has the same amount of scholarships. 

The N.C.A.A. limit for softball scholarships is 12.   Just like for wrestling it is an absurd 9.9 scholarships (for teams that usually have more than 30 wrestlers) and the limit for football is 85 (normally).   They can split those 12 scholarships however they see fit.  Such as full scholarships for the "stars" of the team and 50% scholarships, 33 percent, 25 percent, etc., etc., etc., for the other players.

Boise State softball announces their 2021 Fall softball schedule - 7 games total

September 19, 2021 – 11 a.m. - College of Idaho at Dona Larsen Park (Boise)

September 22, 2021 – 4 p.m. - At Northwest Nazarene College (Nampa)

September 25, 2021 – Noon - College of Southern Idaho at Dona Larsen Park (Boise)

October 2, 2021 – 1 p.m & 3 p.m.- University of Utah (Salt Lake City)

October 3, 2021 – Noon – Weber State (Salt Lake City)

October 16, 2021 – TBD - Northwest Nazarene College at Dona Larsen Park (Boise)

On 8/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, Bluebronco79 said:

I think they can break it up as much as they want.  Softball generally carries less players but has the same amount of scholarships. 

No. There is a minimum percentage for the players on scholarship (27) which I think is 1/4. 

1 hour ago, doggystyleu2 said:

Maybe now, the rest of you have a chance at a championship 

The only question now is WHERE will she be transferring to after she graduates from Fresno State in December?

Or in her words "graduate this December and enter the transfer portal to begin my Master’s degree and finish my playing career elsewhere"

19 hours ago, doggystyleu2 said:

Maybe now, the rest of you have a chance at a championship 

Especially considering the fact that Fresno State has won exactly ONE Mountain West Softball title in the last five seasons (last season 2021).   Of course one of those five seasons (2020) was cancelled.

Colorado State was the 2019 MWC Softball champion.  Boise State was the 2018 MWC Softball champion and San Jose State was the 2017 MWC Softball champion.   So in the four seasons (in the last 5 years) where a MWC Softball champion occurred there were FOUR different teams who won the championship.

I'm VERY surprised to see this posted on the Boise State softball twitter site as of one hour ago.  Surprised because I've been to fall softball games in the past and they - absurdly - quit keeping score and having players' names on jerseys.   When they started doing that - more than 5 years ago I believe - I quit going to those fall games.

BUT according to this photo (from today's game) that does not seem to have been the case today:

E_rIAXRUcAQVb73.jpg

On 9/18/2021 at 5:35 AM, Bronco7454 said:

Especially considering the fact that Fresno State has won exactly ONE Mountain West Softball title in the last five seasons (last season 2021).   Of course one of those five seasons (2020) was cancelled.

Colorado State was the 2019 MWC Softball champion.  Boise State was the 2018 MWC Softball champion and San Jose State was the 2017 MWC Softball champion.   So in the four seasons (in the last 5 years) where a MWC Softball champion occurred there were FOUR different teams who won the championship.

Well if you want to start talking about yesterday we can say we had a national title, Can Boise say that in softball.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, Bronco7454 said:

The only question now is WHERE will she be transferring to after she graduates from Fresno State in December?

Or in her words "graduate this December and enter the transfer portal to begin my Master’s degree and finish my playing career elsewhere"

Follow your coach to Nevada Hailey.

I will be at today's game on the Northwest Nazarene campus at 4 p.m. today in Nampa.   I swore I'd never attend another Boise State fall softball game when they started not keeping score and having no way to identify the players but it APPEARS that that (absurdity) has been halted thanks to the new coaching staff (apparently).  From what I understand today's Boise State vs. NNU softball game will be a 10 inning exhibition game.  So - as I understand it - there will be no 8 run rule involved in this game.

Based on looking at the roster and other things it APPEARS that Boise State's team will be as follows (listed by jersey number here)

1. Alison Seng - SR - 2020 & 2021 Starting 1B

2. India Kelly - SR - LF/DP

5, Autumn Bennett - JR - 2021 Starting 2B

7. Kiele Miller - SR - Pitcher

9. Clarissa Moreno - SO - SS

12. Abby Bumcrot - SO - 2021 Co-Starting C

13. Kelsey Hall - SO - Transfer from Fresno State - Started first 3 games for FSU last season in RF before being injured

14. Sara Johnson - SR - Pitcher

15. Hailey Hayes - SO - 2021 Co-Starting C

16. Grace Kimball - SO - Pitcher

17. Jalen Ervin - RS SO - 2B

18. Ashlyn Whalen - SO - 3B

19. Hannah Bailey - SR - Pitcher

21. Serena Huchingson - RS JR - 2019 & 2020 Starting C

22. Kelsey Lalor - SR - 2021 Starting CF

24. Taylor Caudill - SO - Pitcher

27. Bella Rocco - JR - 2021 Starting 3B

28. Jordyn Hutchins - SO - 2021 Starting LF

29. Eliyah Flores- RS SR - Transfer from Oklahoma - 3B

35. Bobbiann Pratt - SO - DP/1B/2B

Other players:

__ - Rylan Ewoldt - FR - SS/3B/C - Wore # 10 in HS

__ - Mykenzie Hanna - FR - 1B/OF - Wore # 18 in HS

__ - Megan Lake - FR - SS/CF - Wore # 6 in HS

__ - Brooklyn Pettis - FR - C/1B - Wore # 12 in HS

__ - Brooklynn Thompson - FR - Pitcher - Wore # 24 in HS

I did go to the 10 inning exhibition today at Northwest Nazarene Univ.  However I only watched the first 7 innings as it was past 6:30 p.m. when I left.   Boise State was leading 10-9 when I left.

Boise State's starting lineup was as follows:

Catcher - # 15 Hailey Hayes (SO)

1st Base - # 1 Alison Seng (SR)

2nd Base - #17 Jalen Ervin (RS SO)

Shortstop - # 9 Clarissa Moreno (SO)

3rd Base - # 4 Alycia Flores (RS SO) - Her older sister did not play and yes Alycia did transfer to Boise State from Oklahoma (just as her older sister Eliyah did)

Right Field - # 2 India Kelly (SR)

Center Field - #22 Kelsey Lalor (SR)

Left Field - # 6 Megan Lake (True FR) - One of two true freshmen in the starting lineup for today's game

Designated Player - # 27 Bella Rocco (JR) After about the 5th inning Rocco was playing at 3B

Starting Pitcher - # 25 Brooklynn Thompson (True FR)

NOTE:  The above lineup should not be confused with the batting order.   I THINK it was #6 who was the first batter for Boise State (in the first inning) and then who knows?  I sure can't recall.

Other players I saw in the 7 innings I watched were:

# 13 Kelsey Hall (SO transfer from Fresno St), # 35 Bobbiann Pratt (SO), # 28 Jordyn Hutchins (SO), # 5 Autumn Bennett (JR).  The pitchers - by design - were supposed to only pitch two innings.  # 25 Brooklynn Thompson (FR) pitched the first 2 innings and did not give up any runs.   Then # 14 Sara Johnson (SR) pitched 1 1/3 innings before she was taken out.  I believe she gave up 7 or 8 runs in 1 1/3 innings.  Johnson was replaced by # 19 Hannah Bailey (SR) who I think didn't give up any runs in two innings.  Bailey was replaced by # 24 Taylor Caudill (SO) and I think she gave up one run in the one inning I saw her pitch.

The most impressive players for Boise State in yesterday's game IMO as far as hitting and pitching would have to be Kelsey Lalor whose first at bat resulted in a home run to left center.  She followed that with two consecutive doubles and was thrown out at first on her 4th at bat.   Since I left after the 7th inning ended I don't know if she had any more at bats.

The two pitchers who were the most impressive IMO were true freshman Brooklynn Thompson and Senior Hannah Bailey.

Looks like # 7  Kiele Miller (Pitcher) is no longer on the Boise State softball team roster

However it also looks like Mikelle Anthony (former UNLV commit) will, in fact, be on the team next season. And she, btw, coincidentally wore # 7 in H.S.  That's based on the fact that Anthony was featured on the Boise State softbal webpage 3 days ago with a Happy Birthday message:

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 09-35-30 Boise State Softball ( BroncoSportsSB) Twitter.png