Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maynard Delecto

2021 Mountain West Softball

UNM Womens Softball will have to do what football and basketball has done... play all their home games on the road somewhere. How in the world can UNM expect to compete under conditions like this? Even though the governor, yesterday, lifted the 14 day self quarantine for incoming visitors to the state, she still won't allow any sports competitions to be played in-state... crazy? 

"Beginning Thursday, New Mexico will no longer require self-quarantine for visitors or New Mexicans arriving into the state. The order had required a 14-day quarantine for those coming into New Mexico from most other states."

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM Womens Softball will have to do what football and basketball has done... play all their home games on the road somewhere. How in the world can UNM expect to compete under conditions like this? Even though the governor, yesterday, lifted the 14 day self quarantine for incoming visitors to the state, she still won't allow any sports competitions to be played in-state... crazy? 

"Beginning Thursday, New Mexico will no longer require self-quarantine for visitors or New Mexicans arriving into the state. The order had required a 14-day quarantine for those coming into New Mexico from most other states."

You guys voted her in so you have to live with her idiocracy just like us here in California!  Sad huh?

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

On 2/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, wolfan8431 said:

Nevada beats #2 Washington 8-5.  The Pack used pitchers #1, #2 & #3.  They're now 5-1.

Woah....wayta go pack!

SJS's long time coach/program builder, Peter Turner, got "canceled" this past offseason, so it's rebuilding time at 10th and Humboldt.

The start of the Lohmann era was this past weekend was San! v. Stan three game series, and it didn't work out as well, unfortunately 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

24 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Woah....wayta go pack!

SJS's long time coach/program builder, Peter Turner, got "canceled" this past offseason, so it's rebuilding time at 10th and Humboldt.

The start of the Lohmann era was this past weekend was San! v. Stan three game series, and it didn't work out as well, unfortunately 

The Pack came back to earth losing to BYU & Utah Valley.  Plus it took extra innings to beat Montana.  Wa. might have been an anomaly.

2 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

The Pack came back to earth losing to BYU & Utah Valley.  Plus it took extra innings to beat Montana.  Wa. might have been an anomaly.

Uh-oh. It's still early, but typically an L to UVU is going to do a lot of damage to the rpi, hopefully it won't undo all the gain  you're going to get from the UW win.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

23 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Uh-oh. It's still early, but typically an L to UVU is going to do a lot of damage to the rpi, hopefully it won't undo all the gain  you're going to get from the UW win.

We've still got Ore, Ore St, Cal & Stanford on the schedule.

Boise State's softball team cancelled their trip to Louisiana last week due to weather concerns.  And two days ago they announced that they will be making up those five lost games with two games @ Cal Poly S.L.O. on Friday and three more games @ Cal State Fullerton (two on Saturday and one on Sunday) this weekend.

https://broncosports.com/news/2021/2/21/softball-broncos-add-trip-to-california-this-week.aspx

On 2/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, Bronco7454 said:

Boise State's softball team cancelled their trip to Louisiana last week due to weather concerns.  And two days ago they announced that they will be making up those five lost games with two games @ Cal Poly S.L.O. on Friday and three more games @ Cal State Fullerton (two on Saturday and one on Sunday) this weekend.

https://broncosports.com/news/2021/2/21/softball-broncos-add-trip-to-california-this-week.aspx

Wow, that’s a busy weekend for our girls. First, CPSLO isn’t easy to get to from Boise. Second, two games in SLO then bus down to LA that night, get up and play two more games on Saturday. Good thing these girls are young. I guess it’s no worse than partying all weekend. 

That's the norm in softball - 5 games per weekend.  Especially in the first 5 or 6 weeks of a season.   It's fortunate that Boise State did not have another event already scheduled to go to this weekend.

Although normally all of the games are played in one location (by a host school).

Apparently I was wrong - all of these Boise State games are taking place at CS Fullerton including both games vs Cal Poly yesterday.  So the only travel involved was getting from Boise to Fullerton, CA. (Los Angeles area).

Boise State split yesterdays 2 games vs Cal Poly, losing the opener 2-0 (ZERO hits by Boise State in that game) and then rallied to win the 2nd game 7-6.

Today's first game vs CS Fullerton can be watched online here - https://bigwest.org/watch/default.aspx?Live=2933&path=calstate_fullerton

That first (of two) games today is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. MT (Noon PT)

I think it's time for Boise State to look for another head Softball coach.  Here's a review of coach Huffaker's tenure as the Boise State head softball coach:

2019 - 36-16 win/loss record (692 %) with a team filled with players her predecessor brought in - 12-12 in Conference (500%)

2020 - 14-11 win/loss record (560 %) in a season cut short

2021 - 5-11 so far (312 %) - 0-2 in Conference (000 %) - so far

It's said that her last two recruiting classes were both nationally ranked however the recruits she has brought in to date appear to me to be unable to get hits, are below average at fielding and mediocre at pitching.

Two of this year's starters currently have batting averages of .121 and .125 and another starter has a batting average of .194.   And only one starter is batting over .300.

Lastly, but maybe most importantly, Huffaker has consistently proven that she is unable to manage the pitchers she has effectively.  

5 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

GD hating college softball rn 🤢

I am a big San Jose Spartan softball fan, I hate to see them struggling, I thought they would be just as good as last year very impressed with their team last year, hopefully they get some recruits and they can get back to where they were.:shrug: