Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueAg

Why will no one play USU?

12 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

It was mostly made in jest but Thompson does hold some resentment toward USU over their role in "The Project". He's done little things in the past like not attend games where USU was to win a championship or division title. Mostly petty things like that or scheduling sequences that setup difficult travel. It was worse early on but I think the further we get from 2013 the better it has become.

The MW does not appear to hold similar resentment towards NV, Fresno, SJSU, or Hawaii because of their role in the project.  Every school has difficult travel.  Thompson missed games for championships or division titles involving other MW schools.

I understand the Aggie fans believing BYU and UTAH screwed them over 50 years ago but  this sense that other schools in the MW are out to screw them now is odd.  I certainly don't see it the way you do.

6 minutes ago, Pokes Forever said:

I can’t imagine that USU would not have been awarded a couple of forfeits with some repercussions for Wyo if there were no legit concerns.  I trust that Lindler raised the concerns and the league agreed.  Wow....

The league agreed that Linder believed he had his own concerns. They did not agree that they were Covid related. That is why the statement reads the way it does.

It is a slippery slope to begin handing out forfeits in a season like this. The league knows they can't force a team to play games but I don't think they want to get into the business of serving as a judge on whether or not a team gets an "L" because that particular team may feel that playing carries too high of a risk.

All the MWC can do is set up the testing protocols, ask the teams to be tested 3 times a week, and play or not play based on the results. Any other concerns beyond that are out of their control. All we do know is that the games are not being played and neither team has any positive cases within their program. We can speculate that Linder's concerns are over exposure though travel, having fans in the stands, or perhaps he heard USU players attended a raging party while in Fresno, who knows.....

23 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

It was mostly made in jest but Thompson does hold some resentment toward USU over their role in "The Project". He's done little things in the past like not attend games where USU was to win a championship or division title. Mostly petty things like that or scheduling sequences that setup difficult travel. It was worse early on but I think the further we get from 2013 the better it has become.

Don't blame Thompson.

Nobody likes you.

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

The MW does not appear to hold similar resentment towards NV, Fresno, SJSU, or Hawaii because of their role in the project.  Every school has difficult travel.  Thompson missed games for championships or division titles involving other MW schools.

I understand the Aggie fans believing BYU and UTAH screwed them over 50 years ago but  this sense that other schools in the MW are out to screw them now is odd.  I certainly don't see it the way you do.

You reading way too much into it... there is not some overwhelming belief system about this in Aggie Nation, nor was it a focal point of this thread.

BTW, of course Hair doesn't resent NV and Fresno. Are you kidding me with that shit? They saved his ass in The Project by being turncoat pusses with no spine to stand by what they had agreed to. :P

6 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

You reading way too much into it... there is not some overwhelming belief system about this in Aggie Nation, nor was it a focal point of this thread.

BTW, of course Hair doesn't resent NV and Fresno. Are you kidding me with that shit? They saved his ass in The Project by being turncoat pusses with no spine to stand by what they had agreed to. :P

You do know that the vote was not for the "Project".  It was to raise the exit fee to 5 million bucks..Nevada did not vote for it.  However, it was not a loyalty pact to remain in the WAC.  It was to make it more expensive to leave.   Your prez said that he didn't think Fresno and Nevada could afford to leave..

At the time Nevada had a very poor relationship with BYU and no strong desire to join up with them.  They did have a strong desire to be in a conference with UNLV.  When Benson lied about UNLV being on board with a move to the WAC (they never even considered it), the relationship was soured forever.  Fortunately, after USU turned down an offer to move to the MW, an opportunity arose and NV took the lifeline.  

31 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Boise is out to screw them.  And every other MWC school.

Pay Me GIF by Team Coco

But let's get back to talking about how cowardly Wyoming is.

Well, the MWC sure doesn't hate USU when it comes to scheduling.  Here is how the 2-game series stack up for the top 5 teams playing against each other...

BSU Home 1 Away 3

CSU Home 1 Away 3

Nev Home 2 Away 2

SDSU Home 3 Away 1

USU Home 3 Away 1

Seems more like Thompson loves USU and SDSU, and hates CSU and Boise.  Not sure why this couldn't have been evened out but it's definitely created an advantage for the boys from Ogden...

10 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Well, the MWC sure doesn't hate USU when it comes to scheduling.  Here is how the 2-game series stack up for the top 5 teams playing against each other...

BSU Home 1 Away 3

CSU Home 1 Away 3

Nev Home 2 Away 2

SDSU Home 3 Away 1

USU Home 3 Away 1

Seems more like Thompson loves USU and SDSU, and hates CSU and Boise.  Not sure why this couldn't have been evened out but it's definitely created an advantage for the boys from Ogden...

There is some deference due the Ags for them being the 2-time defending champions, don’t you think?😀

On 2/9/2021 at 4:15 PM, TrueAg said:

I could see this happening....unless Gonzaga steps up and beats you to the punch. Would Coog fans prefer to have a return game played in Provo (a Q2 game for them in that case) or meet in SLC (where it would be a Q1 for both sides)?

How about both?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

16 hours ago, Aggie84025 said:

That is a good question, I have never stated that they do.  I just find it odd that the reason for cancellation is not for COVID in a specific program.  Linder, even in his interview mentioned that while the risk may be low he was not willing to put his team in harms way.  I don't know exactly what that means.  I read that as UW was given the opportunity to play, but decided it was too risky, but based on reports it  does not look like it was due to COVID with the USU players or immediate coaching staff.  I just want to watch the aggies and cowboys play and was looking forward to attending the Friday night game.

You get to go to the games? That's why nobody likes you.

16 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

How about both?

Sure wish it could happen but it looks like there was not enough time left to secure a neutral site for that match up.

Turns out the USU AD even offered WYO to move the games back to Thurs./Sat., Fri./Sun. or even a single Game on Sat. or Sun. All offers were turned down.

USU is moving on to game prep for BSU - that first game is going to be interesting after sitting for so long.

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

Sure wish it could happen but it looks like there was not enough time left to secure a neutral site for that match up.

Turns out the USU AD even offered WYO to move the games back to Thurs./Sat., Fri./Sun. or even a single Game on Sat. or Sun. All offers were turned down.

USU is moving on to game prep for BSU - that first game is going to be interesting after sitting for so long.

Fake news!! Wyoming is way too TOUGH to be afraid to play USU!  They invented the freaking jump shot!!

9 hours ago, Aggie84025 said:

I am so grateful that Utah has not shutdown like surrounding states.  I feel for how shut down certain states are.  Thankful where i live.

Utah is in lockdown compared to Wyoming. Southwest Wyoming has had one of its biggest tourism seasons since the '02 Olympics since Utah started shutting things down. Uinta County typically has around 60-70 homes for sale at any given time. Currently there are less than a dozen available.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

17 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Utah is in lockdown compared to Wyoming. Southwest Wyoming has had one of its biggest tourism seasons since the '02 Olympics since Utah started shutting things down. Uinta County typically has around 60-70 homes for sale at any given time. Currently there are less than a dozen available.

I certainly did not mean WYO they seem to have good leadership in the state.  I was meaning Nevada, NM, Cali, Nev, OR and WA.  Utah certainly has not been completely open but could have been a lot worse.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Fake news!! Wyoming is way too TOUGH to be afraid to play USU!  They invented the freaking jump shot!!

Tough?  The jump shot is for cowards afraid of driving into the paint.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Pelado said:

Tough?  The jump shot is for cowards afraid of driving into the paint.

Perhaps schools outside of the MWC do not want to play USU either, the Logan paper has reported that BYU turned down a game with USU in Provo which was needed because of the cancelled games both schools had. Utah refuses to play USU in either major sport.