Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Thursday Nite MWC Hoops: CSU@WYO,USU@Fresno - WHO YA’ GOT?

Just now, misplacedcowboy said:

I was really impressed with how Ike played against Roddy on both ends. Let's hope the refs aren't too whistle happy on Saturday and let the boys fight it out

Pokes have been missing a tough guy since that Irish dude got hurt. 

Nice to gave a tough guy with some skills like Ike!

Just now, BodyBagGame said:

Pokes have been missing a tough guy since that Irish dude got hurt. 

Nice to gave a tough guy with some skills like Ike!

Just wish he had a few more lucky rolls on some of his shots down low tonight.

I expect CSU to clamp down on DuSell and have someone else try and beat them next time out. Would be amazing to see Ike put it together and do some real damage. But for some reason Linder keeps starting Thompson...

1 minute ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I expect CSU to clamp down on DuSell and have someone else try and beat them next time out. Would be amazing to see Ike put it together and do some real damage. But for some reason Linder keeps starting Thompson...

Ike is just getting started. That dude is for real.

It looked like the Pokes fed it down low to Maldonado a little more this game.

I would do that every trip down the floor. Good things will happen from that set.

7 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

CSU is going to clamp down on Ike.

He made CSU look very average.

14 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Not heading to Laramie for tonight’s game. I’ll be in Fort Collins covering the CSU-WYO Women’s game for Ramnation.com. Have to watch the stream of the Mens game simultaneously on my phone.

As for Utah State- Fresno State, the Aggies are a way better team. That being said, I expect a low-scoring, defensive battle in the first game. Utah State really defends the paint well and that is where Fresno usually does their damage. Fresno State is physical on the perimeter and could cause the Aggies’ guards some turnover issues. I’m not going to touch the point spread although I lean toward the Aggies covering. I’m taking the First Half Under of 61. And hoping Utah State doesn’t come out on fire.

Did you not bet on CSU against Wyoming tonight?

I missed it, working.  

Looking at the box score...  We shot 36 threes?!  

Looks like it was a really good game. 

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Wyoming should have called a time out to set up their defense after they tied it on the Williams three. They let Moore go right to the hoop. Good game by the Pokes, they deserved to win. 

They were out of timeouts

1 hour ago, BodyBagGame said:

CSU should be embarrassed. I think we started three freshmen with a first year coach. And it was close!

I’d really be embarrassed if they lost to that team of schlubs.

6 hours ago, BodyBagGame said:

I wouldn't be bragging about that boot just yet.

We'll have our real team back next year. 

Will "...we have our REAL (CONF)...back nxt yr?"

The conf where CSU gets more than 25% of our home f'ball games?

Thanks for showing up wyo...New Méx, Nevada Southern & the other Aggies, no so much.  :-(

I'm really impressed with Wyo's young guys. Ike is going to be a real force in a couple more years as he gains experience and gets stronger. Williams is already a high level player and DuSell has really been coming on in the last few weeks.

Wyo is definitely on the upswing. I'm thinking they will become a NIT caliber team next year, then become a real MWC title and NCAAT contender in the following two years as all those freshmen become upperclassmen.

21 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I'm really impressed with Wyo's young guys. Ike is going to be a real force in a couple more years as he gains experience and gets stronger. Williams is already a high level player and DuSell has really been coming on in the last few weeks.

Wyo is definitely on the upswing. I'm thinking they will become a NIT caliber team next year, then become a real MWC title and NCAAT contender in the following two years as all those freshmen become upperclassmen.

They’ve got a couple of 4th year juniors in Maldonado and Thompson that could be back for two more years to help with their youth as well. 

Most of us that follow CSU closely knew that WYO was headed in the right direction when they hired Jeff Linder. I know some people picked them to finish as high as 5th this season. They will be a force in the coming years along with Nevada as both teams are very talented albeit inexperienced.

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

They’ve got a couple of 4th year juniors in Maldonado and Thompson that could be back for two more years to help with their youth as well. 

Most of us that follow CSU closely knew that WYO was headed in the right direction when they hired Jeff Linder. I know some people picked them to finish as high as 5th this season. They will be a force in the coming years along with Nevada as both teams are very talented albeit inexperienced.

I think next year could potentially be the best for MWC hoops since that 2012-13 season where 5 teams appeared in the Top-25 during the year and 5 made the NCAAT. If SDSU can reload and Queta sticks around at USU, I'm seeing a boatload of quality teams.

Nevada, Wyo and possibly UNLV will make big jumps, CSU will be really good and BSU should return at least 6 of their top 8. Fresno should be better too and Hoser and AFA probably can't be any worse.

If UNM can return to respectability it may be a pretty epic year for the MWC.

In 2012-13, 7 of the top 9 teams in the MWC were Top 100. The other two were between 125-175.

The conference should have seven Top 100 programs next year (Boise, SDSU, USU, CSU, WYO, UNR, UNLV) and another in the 100-150 range (Fresno).

Where the conference fails right now is at the bottom where both AFA and SJSU are below 250. Unfortunately, UNM under Weir has joined those other two at the bottom. Joe Scott is al least 2 years away. UNM will have to redo their program. SJSU unfortunately is a no hoper.

44 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I think next year could potentially be the best for MWC hoops since that 2012-13 season where 5 teams appeared in the Top-25 during the year and 5 made the NCAAT. If SDSU can reload and Queta sticks around at USU, I'm seeing a boatload of quality teams.

Nevada, Wyo and possibly UNLV will make big jumps, CSU will be really good and BSU should return at least 6 of their top 8. Fresno should be better too and Hoser and AFA probably can't be any worse.

If UNM can return to respectability it may be a pretty epic year for the MWC.

I’m assuming Queta won’t be back. He’s healthy and played well enough this year to be drafted maybe even first round. His defense alone will be an asset in the NBA. Without him USU will slip. 

Wyoming is definitely a team to be reckoned with the guys they have coming back. If they add a PF to help Ike on the front line they will be really tough. Boise State will be good again especially if they bring Kigab back for a second senior year. SDSU loses Mitchell and Schakel their best two players. They have some good young talent and Mensah will be the premiere post in the MWC. UNLV fans keep saying they will be good and they could be if they add a good post and PG. 

Nevada and CSU are both young and return all their starters plus whomever else they add. They will battle for the top spot. Fresno needs to add some shooters to their lineup. New Mexico is almost a complete rebuild. Air Force and SJSU will continue to drag the rest of the conference down. 

The one thing that would throw a wet blanket on the MWC next year is if some head coaches are poached and we have some good ones that could be poached.