Ibanez

Mike Aresco might be headed to the PAC-12

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Its striking to me that teams in the AAC like our contract WAY more than teams outside the AAC...we'd agree to it all over again if given the chance

Larry Scott and the AAC would be a match made in heaven. He’s great at screwing up TV deals. It makes you wonder why the PAC would consider Arresco. 

• Cheers 1
11 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Larry Scott and the AAC would be a match made in heaven. He’s great at screwing up TV deals. It makes you wonder why the PAC would consider Arresco. 

If Larry Scott went to the AAC he wouldn’t be negotiating a TV deal for a decade. 

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If Larry Scott went to the AAC he wouldn’t be negotiating a TV deal for a decade. 

So the PAC-12 would be safe. Plus Aresco loves the camera. That's what the PAC-12 needs.

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If Aresco goes to the Pac-12 the real question is if he ever says power 6 in any context other then answering a question from a reporter. 

"Power 6? What idiot told you that? Its Power 5 and everyone else." 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Doesn’t seem all that striking to me. MWC fans (maybe outside of Boise and possibly SDSU fans) probably generally have a more positive view of our deal then AAC fans do; we would point to how we are not locked in for a decade, don’t have to pay production costs, etc etc. Fans be biased. 

The AAC didn’t care about paying production costs because they are actually “buying” access to the larger viewer pool.

This is about more than dollars. That’s what people aren’t grasping. They hitched their wagon to ESPN. They just picked their pony for the next decade.

Anyone who remembers the failed CSTV will know why the AAC wanted “dibs” on the ESPN spots.

Can the MWC go to open market in half that time??? Surrre... but ESPN is largely spoken for because of the AACs deal.

The AAC bought security.

The MWC’s leverage with CBSSports and Fox will depend on anyone (Boise included) somehow delivering eyeballs to sets that they weren’t getting.

Do you really see a chance for a great increase in viewers and revenue from those channels? Hair essentially bet on them to somehow compete with the teams on ESPN. 

I just don’t see how that was a smarter deal. AAC got more dough AND they got the WWL (who also owns the bowls)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, renoskier said:

Reading is fundamental :facepalm:

So what do Boise fans think about the MWC deal?

I like it more and more.  The coverage is good, been able to see almost all Boise's basketball games and the announcers don't spend half the game talking about power teams.  Pays alright and is up for negotiation again soon.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I like it more and more.  The coverage is good, been able to see almost all Boise's basketball games and the announcers don't spend half the game talking about power teams.  Pays alright and is up for negotiation again soon.

As much as I hate to agree with your dumb ass, I too love the basketball coverage.  There is a MW game on almost every night.  That can only help our conference in regards to recruiting.  

From what I've read, ESPN is shedding viewers.  The reasons stated were they've over extended themselves in regards to number of channels and programing, and their ever increasing coverage/comments regarding social justice issues and politics.  Many of us turn on sports channels to get a break from that shit.  Who wants to tune into a sports channel only to hear another media idiot go on a social justice/political rant?  

47 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This. I've never watched so much MWC basketball in one season. It's been great. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

The AAC didn’t care about paying production costs because they are actually “buying” access to the larger viewer pool.

This is about more than dollars. That’s what people aren’t grasping. 

No, I grasp your point just fine, I just disagree with it. 

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

moreover, UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee pays for a LOT of production costs.

I'm totally down with hitchin' the AAC wagon to ESPN for the next decade.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think it had literally nothing to do with taking a “leap of faith”, I think Aresco just wanted a billion dollar deal. 

And we have a winner...

16 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

Can't wait for the new "Pac 12 is P5" slogan :lol: 

And that the undefeated Pac 12 Conference Champion is the National Champ, even when they don't get invited to the playoff! #ringsandparade

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

moreover, UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee pays for a LOT of production costs.

I'm totally down with hitchin' the AAC wagon to ESPN for the next decade.

We were waiting for you to bring up that $17 million. That's how bad UConn wanted out if it.

Just now, Ibanez said:

We were waiting for you to bring up that $17 million. That's how bad UConn wanted out if it.

It's a lot like the Boise/MWC relationship...toxic

I liked having UConn in the AAC but there's SO much less whining now with them gone.

• Like 1

And that 17 million split 11 ways, and spread over 8 years, don't amount to much. 

BTW...did anybody see the report that ESPN agreed NOT to reduce the contract due to UConn's departure (thus taking the contract below 1 billion).  Because that would be something PT Aresco would be shouting from the rooftops.

production costs will run ~400k per year so 1.55 million covers almost 4 years of production costs.

Aresco said payouts will remain the same so yes, the deal dropped below 1 billion...that may bother Areso but it doesn't bother me.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

It's a lot like the Boise/MWC relationship...toxic

I liked having UConn in the AAC but there's SO much less whining now with them gone.

That's definitely true. UConn's relationship with the AAC was definitely broken. Not sure if it's as bad as Boise and the MWC. But you're 100% correct. That AAC Board isn't near as bad as it was.

• Like 1
On 2/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, Ibanez said:

And to be honest it might not be a bad idea for the PAC-12. 

Aresco is 71 years old in a few months. He is not going anywhere.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:44 AM, BacksThePack said:

Wonder if the AAC would look at Benson

Granted, its an outside the box choice, but if Aresco left, the guy I'd love to see the AAC at least talk to is Tim Brando.  He has experience running a business.  He knows TV and all the key people in college sports.  But most of all, he would be an excellent voice selling the conference to viewers and TV execs.  The AAC TV deal is done for a decade.  The job right now is just selling the conference to the public and pushing for greater CFP access.   I have no idea if Brando would even be interested---but I could see him being very effective in that position.