Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Is Space Force not a thing now?

Psaki will be useless if it’s not a prearranged softball question. And the White House keeps her like mushrooms apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/defense/537072-white-house-says-space-force-work-will-continue%3famp 

The Biden administration will continue work on the U.S. Space Force, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Wednesday, following Republican backlash against her earlier dismissal of a question about the year-old military service.

"We look forward to the continuing work of Space Force and invite the members of the team to come visit us in the briefing room anytime to share an update on their important work," Psaki tweeted Wednesday evening.

Abolishing the Space Force would require an act of Congress, so experts did not expect President Biden to try to get rid of it. But Psaki's tweet is the first time the administration has explicitly said the military branch - a signature achievement of former President Trump - will continue.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Space Force was one of the very few things that Trump did right. The country needs to push it forward. We need to lead in this area so that Russia and China don’t beat us to it.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

The worst thing about Space Force is its name. It just replaces "Air" with "Space" from an existing branch of our military. If it were something more original, it probably would have been better received.

The concept of Space Force is forward-thinking and in line with our Federal government's responsibility to protect our country.

55 minutes ago, CV147 said:

The worst thing about Space Force is its name. It just replaces "Air" with "Space" from an existing branch of our military. If it were something more original, it probably would have been better received.

The concept of Space Force is forward-thinking and in line with our Federal government's responsibility to protect our country.

Yeah the name and the thought that Trump came up with the idea turned me off immediately.. But once someone explained what it would do I was sold on it. I think it was @halfmanhalfbronco

I don't get it at all. Complete waste of money.

Right now there are x amount of people working space projects as contractors or for the military. Space Force is created. X people sitting at their desks ask what changes for me? Well...we are going to get you a new office nameplate that says SF instead if AF. New business cards. New uniforms and logos. All the color schemes are changing. New upper level management (did the old one get fired? Nah, they are still in the AF). Change your email signature and extension to a .SF. But my actual work? What changes? Well nothing...keep working in what you were already working on. Just report to a whole new upper management.

Got it.

Let's not pretend like the US military is going to start doing something it wasn't already doing.

26 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

Right now there are x amount of people working space projects as contractors or for the military. Space Force is created. X people sitting at their desks ask what changes for me? Well...we are going to get you a new office nameplate that says SF instead if AF. New business cards. New uniforms and logos. All the color schemes are changing. New upper level management (did the old one get fired? Nah, they are still in the AF). Change your email signature and extension to a .SF. But my actual work? What changes? Well nothing...keep working in what you were already working on. Just report to a whole new upper management.

Got it.

Let's not pretend like the US military is going to start doing something it wasn't already doing.

People probably said the same thing about the Army Air Forces back in the 1940s.

I thought that's why we have the Avengers....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

20 minutes ago, CV147 said:

People probably said the same thing about the Army Air Forces back in the 1940s.

Yea, but in the 1940s technology was at a point where we could manufacture enough planes to justify separating the Air Force from the Army; that is not the case right now with space travel. This would be like if we had made the Air Force a separate branch in 1907 when the Army Air Forces was created. 

21 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but in the 1940s technology was at a point where we could manufacture enough planes to justify separating the Air Force from the Army; that is not the case right now with space travel. This would be like if we had made the Air Force a separate branch in 1907 when the Army Air Forces was created. 

Well in the 1940s we had just come out of a World War that required us to increase our aircraft manufacturing tremendously as a reaction to the Luftwaffe. It doesn't hurt to be proactive in space.

1 hour ago, coalman29 said:

Got it.

This is short sighted.  Space is going to turn into a trillion dollar industry very soon and tens of trillions not long after.  It also has massive future national security importance.

Extracting resources from asteroids and commercial use are just part of it and will account for trillions annually for the US before long.  Protecting freedom of navigation in LEO and beyond will be as critically important as protecting freedom of navigation in the South China Sea for us and our allies.  Looking past that, there will come a time soon when extracting He-3 from the moon will be as important as protecting oil fields.  Space Force will also push scientific advancement and engineering milestones, the way the war machine always has.  

From a pure defense standpoint, so much of what we do depends on assuming good actors in LEO.  However we know there are NOT good actors.  China has violated the international standards of LEO conduct one more than one occasion with the blowing up of their own satellite to test military functionality in space being the most egregious.  

We need a branch with a specific identity for space, one whose sole mission and culture revolves around space.  Air Force does not do that.  They do not have that singular focus, it's a side gig. 

In the seven years after the Chinese attack, from 2007 till 2014, the Air Force had yet to even begin to articulate the need to respond, much less begin to change their structure or their budget to do so. It took action from space advocates in the office of the secretary of defense, rather than on the Air Staff, to begin that change.  

Space Force is needed.  The only reason people are against it cus Trump.

36 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Well in the 1940s we had just come out of a World War that required us to increase our aircraft manufacturing tremendously as a reaction to the Luftwaffe. It doesn't hurt to be proactive in space.

I don’t disagree that we should be proactive, like I said it just seems like we are putting the cart before the horse. Seems like right now it would be a more efficient use of resources to just add space travel to the Air Force’s scope and give them more money, rather then spend the money needed to create a new independent branch that will be a new mouth to feed. 

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Psaki will be useless if it’s not a prearranged softball question. And the White House keeps her like mushrooms apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/defense/537072-white-house-says-space-force-work-will-continue%3famp 

The Biden administration will continue work on the U.S. Space Force, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Wednesday, following Republican backlash against her earlier dismissal of a question about the year-old military service.

"We look forward to the continuing work of Space Force and invite the members of the team to come visit us in the briefing room anytime to share an update on their important work," Psaki tweeted Wednesday evening.

Abolishing the Space Force would require an act of Congress, so experts did not expect President Biden to try to get rid of it. But Psaki's tweet is the first time the administration has explicitly said the military branch - a signature achievement of former President Trump - will continue.

Still a 1000x upgrade at the position, regardless of the hotness of the smoke show that last served that post.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

In addition to the above.  Do we really want to not have a leg up on all that on China?

I am reading this and the other " we need to be proactive" post and still don't understand the mindset. Is the AF not already being proactive enough? Have they not already given us a leg up on China? I am not arguing that space is not important....i am arguing all that creating the SF does is give us warm fuzzy feelings that we are accomplishing something new. The AF is already doing your first 3 paragraphs. Again...lets not pretend like the SF is adding any sort of missions the AF is not already doing. And AFSPC/SMC is by no definition a "side gig". That is some serious exaggeration for effect. And no, the AF did not ignore the Chinese attack. You probably are not going to find any reactions/responses in Tine magazine. 

To put it another way...the military has tons invested in cyber security. As it should. There can be some serious damage done in stealing files, malicious code, etc. etc., hell even getting into Dominion machines and flipping votes. Yet it's a side gig for all the branches. Should Biden create the Cyber Security Force? Seems just as important as a SF.

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Space Force was one of the very few things that Trump did right. The country needs to push it forward. We need to lead in this area so that Russia and China don’t beat us to it.

After initial skepticism, I (somewhat reluctantly) came around. There will be a need to parse space missions eventually as well as an organic trend towards mission profiles that fall outside the scope of pure exploratory science.

I just wish 43 or 44 had done this, as after the events leading up to and including Jan 6, 45 doesn't deserve anything other than the tarnished stench of shit attached to his legacy.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg