Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Lobos Possibly Ending Season

2 hours ago, PojoPops said:

What is this "rich" program you speak of?  They have never even made a sweet sixteen.  The are not a rich, storied program.  And the job is far from perfect.  ABQ is a fishbowl with the lobos being the only game in town.  Their "fans" have ridiculous expectations.  It is a terrible job.  Just ask Paul Weir...

And if you actually win, you're treated like the king of New Mexico. Just ask Alford...

Weir is a horrible coach, and deserves all the heat.

Lets put UNM and Utah State in their own conference together.

Fvcking quitting losers

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

12 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

And if you actually win, you're treated like the king of New Mexico. Just ask Alford...

Weir is a horrible coach, and deserves all the heat.

Karma is a bitch.  You all gloated and laughed as you took Dr Judas off our hands.  Now look at you.  NuM got what they deserved.  And Judas is gonna get his as well.

2 hours ago, PojoPops said:

What is this "rich" program you speak of?  They have never even made a sweet sixteen.  The are not a rich, storied program.  And the job is far from perfect.  ABQ is a fishbowl with the lobos being the only game in town.  Their "fans" have ridiculous expectations.  It is a terrible job.  Just ask Paul Weir...

preach heben nigatu GIF

40 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Karma is a bitch.  You all gloated and laughed as you took Dr Judas off our hands.  Now look at you.  NuM got what they deserved.  And Judas is gonna get his as well.

Never wanted Weir. UNM doubled his salary and he moved to a better conference. Anyone would take that opportunity. Not going to happen, but we could do the same for Jans when Weir gets canned...

I don't care for much for NMSU, in fact, I root for you guys when we aren't playing. I know you guys hate Weir though haha.

52 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

13 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

Never wanted Weir. UNM doubled his salary and he moved to a better conference. Anyone would take that opportunity. Not going to happen, but we could do the same for Jans when Weir gets canned...

I don't care for much for NMSU, in fact, I root for you guys when we aren't playing. I know you guys hate Weir though haha.

Rumor has it that Jans is in talks right now with UNM/Nunez... looks like we're gonna get another one from lil sis down south. You'll soon have a new "Judas" to hate on, lol. ABQ may be a fishbowl, but LC is a toilet bowl... an unflushed one!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

18 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Rumor has it that Jans is in talks right now with UNM/Nunez... looks like we're gonna get another one from lil sis down south. You'll soon have a new "Judas" to hate on, lol. ABQ may be a fishbowl, but LC is a toilet bowl... an unflushed one!

LOL.  Never happen.  If and when Jans moves on, he will be going to a big time program and getting the paychecks to go with it.  He isn't going to go from $500k to $800k and start over.  

7 minutes ago, alum93 said:

LOL.  Never happen.  If and when Jans moves on, he will be going to a big time program and getting the paychecks to go with it.  He isn't going to go from $500k to $800k  $650K and start over.  

fify

27 minutes ago, azinco said:

fify

I am biased, but Jans is a big time coach.  I think in another year he can take a huge leap, if he wants it.  At $500k he can live like a king along the border while doing what he loves.  Some people like this area, some don't.  Haskins is a legend and HOF coach from UTEP.  He won a national championship.  Lou is a HOF coach and legend from NMSU.  NMSU has a Final Four banner from his time.  The schools are 30 miles apart.  They stayed for decades.  How many coaches have moved on to P5 conferences, only to be shown the door in a few years?  We'll see how it plays out.  For now,  i am just enjoying the product he puts on the floor.  If Jans decides to chase bigger paychecks, he will have more than earned it.  The WAC is now stable for years to come, so NMSU oly sports will be just fine.

I'm not going to bother talking trash about UNM on the MWC board.  They are in a bad spot with Weir.  That much is obvious.  I think he will get another year because of this crazy season that put both NM schools in a bind, and it means a smaller buyout.  That's my guess.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

LOL.  Never happen.  If and when Jans moves on, he will be going to a big time program and getting the paychecks to go with it.  He isn't going to go from $500k to $800k and start over.  

Its fun to trigger agholes! :P

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

8 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Its fun to trigger agholes! :P

If my 2 sentences gave you entertainment, that's cool.  Best of luck with the rest of the season.  We'll see you guys in the fall for the annual football and basketball games.

Just now, alum93 said:

If my 2 sentences gave you entertainment, that's cool.  

Much! Because what I said should have sounded too illogical... but triggered you enough to reply... highly entertaining when the obvious still bothers you!

From what Weir said on a zoom press conference, and heard just now on AM610, he anticipates the season is moving forward.  SDSU series is still out for this weekend, but still unsure if Weir thinks the games are going down as cancelled... or just postponed? 

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Todd Simon, Joe Pasternack, Russell Turner.  Make it happen.

Head coaches don't leave Santa Barbara for just any random place, and certainly not for another non-power conference job.

The only head coach hired away from UCSB across all sports over the last 25 years was Lindsay Gottlieb (wbb), who went to Cal and then became an NBA assistant with the Cavs.

Pasternack is either a 10-15+ year coach in Santa Barbara like his two predecessors, or his next gig will be in a power conference.  

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Head coaches don't leave Santa Barbara for just any random place, and certainly not for another non-power conference job.

The only head coach hired away from UCSB across all sports over the last 25 years was Lindsay Gottlieb (wbb), who went to Cal and then became an NBA assistant with the Cavs.

Pasternack is either a 10-15+ year coach in Santa Barbara like his two predecessors, or his next gig will be in a power conference.  

New Mexico, from a basketball perspective, is a clear upgrade.  The MW is much better.  From a lifestyle perspective, Santa Barbara beats Albuquerque sans the cost of living.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

New Mexico, from a basketball perspective, is a clear upgrade.  The MW is much better.  From a lifestyle perspective, Santa Barbara beats Albuquerque sans the cost of living.

That lifestyle makes up the difference.  It's why UCSB has had only three coaches since 1983. 

UNM tried to hire Bob Williams (Pasternack's predecessor) in 2002.  He got a pay raise and remained in Santa Barbara for another 15 years. 

Pasternack has a borderline top-50 team right now and everyone's eligible to come back next year should they decide to do so.  If he goes all in next year, ala Muss with Nevada, UCSB earning an NCAA bid will open up even better job opportunities.   In the meantime, the current roster is strong with 3* and 4* players aplenty and as you said, the lifestyle is top notch.  

IMO, leaving for a full rebuild at UNM now - assuming they fire Weir, which is no guarantee - would set his power conference ambitions back.  That's why I don't see him doing it if the job opens up.