Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Lobos Possibly Ending Season

https://www.abqjournal.com/2355363/games-off-lobos-basketball-calls-off-sdsu-series-maybe-season.html

The SDSU games this week are cancelled and for non COVID reasons. The Lobos have already had 3 opts out and they're rumored to be having 2 more which would put them at 6 scholarship players. There seems to be a real chance that UNM just calls it quits on the year

5 minutes ago, sebasour said:

https://www.abqjournal.com/2355363/games-off-lobos-basketball-calls-off-sdsu-series-maybe-season.html

The SDSU games this week are cancelled and for non COVID reasons. The Lobos have already had 3 opts out and they're rumored to be having 2 more which would put them at 6 scholarship players. There seems to be a real chance that UNM just calls it quits on the year

Well that sucks.  

Are the players just quitting? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Just pencil in the rest of their games as forfeits, probably not going to make any difference in the standings.

The Spartans basketball teams have been living out of a hotel in Phoenix this season. The Women's team packed it in and went back to San Jose late last month, but the Men are sticking it out. UNM is my second favorite MW team, so I hope the Lobos will find a way to finish the season as well. 

Custom Card Michael Cooper New Mexico Lobos NCAA Legends in 2021 | New  mexico, Custom cards, Mexico

This says nothing good about the state, the university, the staff or the players. I'll just leave it at that. This will impact SDSU's ability to get into the tourney. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

UNM should still find a decent coach in the event they can Weir.  However, their pool will likely be limited and not a splashy hire 

11 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

This says nothing good about the state, the university, the staff or the players. I'll just leave it at that. This will impact SDSU's ability to get into the tourney. 

It may actually help in one sense, couldn't it? The Lobos are so horrific that even beating up on them could hurt our WIN or whatever the new RPI is called and therefore make it more difficult to get an at-large bid. OTOH, if those games aren't counted as forfeits by the MWC, it's going to make it virtually impossible for us to catch any of the three schools now ahead of us and therefore mean we'll enter the MWC tourney as the fourth seed.

More broadly, this is just the latest example of what a crap conference the MWC has become. To borrow from what the Gaucho said, UNM may once have had one of the best hoops programs in the conference but it's now slipped to being an also-ran in that sport after pretty much always being an also-ran in football and UNM is severely money challenged. Solution for them? Drop football and put all their resources into basketball.

6 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It may actually help in one sense, couldn't it? The Lobos are so horrific that even beating up on them could hurt our WIN or whatever the new RPI is called and therefore make it more difficult to get an at-large bid. OTOH, if those games aren't counted as forfeits by the MWC, it's going to make it virtually impossible for us to catch any of the three schools now ahead of us and therefore mean we'll enter the MWC tourney as the fourth seed.

More broadly, this is just the latest example of what a crap conference the MWC has become. To borrow from what the Gaucho said, UNM may once have had one of the best hoops programs in the conference but it's now slipped to being an also-ran in that sport after pretty much always being an also-ran in football and UNM is severely money challenged. Solution for them? Drop football and put all their resources into basketball.

I'm saying with what's going on right now in New Mexico - governor's covid restrictions, the program in flux, the buyout issues -  a splashy hire is not going to leave their current gigs for UNM until things stabilize; being able to actually play at home would be a good start.  That means I don't expect them to get Russell Turner or Joe Pasternack.

47 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Call Gonzaga, I think they’re free until the 11th. Maybe you guys could work something out.

44 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I'm saying with what's going on right now in New Mexico - governor's covid restrictions, the program in flux, the buyout issues -  a splashy hire is not going to leave their current gigs for UNM until things stabilize; being able to actually play at home would be a good start.  That means I don't expect them to get Russell Turner or Joe Pasternack.

You don't think UNM and NM State will have home games in the fall?  I do.  UNM will not be able to pay a lot for a new coach and the buyout for Weir, but i don't think home games will have anything to do with the new hire, if there is one.  

2 minutes ago, alum93 said:

You don't think UNM and NM State will have home games in the fall?  I do.  UNM will not be able to pay a lot for a new coach and the buyout for Weir, but i don't think home games will have anything to do with the new hire, if there is one.  

I reckon it'd be tough to sell a coach on Las Cruces and Albuquerque, if they have to play "home" contests outside the state.  I do believe NMSU and UNM will have home games this fall but until the restrictions are lifted, that question mark will linger

15 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I reckon it'd be tough to sell a coach on Las Cruces and Albuquerque, if they have to play "home" contests outside the state.  I do believe NMSU and UNM will have home games this fall but until the restrictions are lifted, that question mark will linger

Despite the questions surrounding the program, UNM has a rich basketball tradition.   The UNM job is perfect for an up & comer who is looking to prove himself.    

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Despite the questions surrounding the program, UNM has a rich basketball tradition.   The UNM job is perfect for an up & comer who is looking to prove himself.    

Yes, but will they fire Weir?  

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Yes, but will they fire Weir?  

I hope so, but they might wait another year.  It would be tough for them to cover his buyout and pay for a new coach and possibly his buyout as well. 

IMO, that is a program that the right coach could turn around rather quickly.  They just can't make another UNLV type of hire. 

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Yeah, it probably improves your chances.