Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Mountain biking vacation

This social distancing is for the birds.  When the vaccine has made its way through the population, time to hit some cool biking trails again in the western states.  Here is a start for a nice 1-2 week road trip.  Any recommendations for the four corners area that i am missing?  

-Tucson/Phoenix

-Sedona

-Vegas

-Moab

-Durango

-Albuquerque

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

This social distancing is for the birds.  When the vaccine has made its way through the population, time to hit some cool biking trails again in the western states.  Here is a start for a nice 1-2 week road trip.  Any recommendations for the four corners area that i am missing?  

-Tucson/Phoenix

-Sedona

-Vegas

-Moab

-Durango

-Albuquerque

Farmington area has been building new trails with their outdoors recreation push. Phils World in Cortez is popular in addition to the usual Durango/Telluride trails. St George/ Hurricane is really popular now. Of course there's Grand Junction/Fruita. (Nice wine tours on bikes here).  You could spend 2 weeks just in the 4 corners area.

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

-Tucson/Phoenix

-Sedona

-Vegas

-Moab

-Durango

-Albuquerque

Yeah. Here

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Farmington area has been building new trails with their outdoors recreation push. Phils World in Cortez is popular in addition to the usual Durango/Telluride trails. St George/ Hurricane is really popular now. Of course there's Grand Junction/Fruita. (Nice wine tours on bikes here).  You could spend 2 weeks just in the 4 corners area.

i have rode the Grand Junction/Fruita trails, but its been a long time.  A couple mentions of St George.  Have never ridden there.  I'll look it up.  Same for Farmington,  have driven through there on way back but didn't stop to check out mountain trails.  A place that is out of in the middle of nowhere but has built a nice network of trails is Gallup.  Thanks for recommendations.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yeah. Here

San Diego is great to visit no matter that hobby.  That would be a separate trip than the 4 corners area.  I have always stuck to west Texas, NM, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, mainly because i could make one big loop driving.  One of these days i'll have to do a southern California trip for biking, as opposed to beaches and amusement parks.  

Go to Tahoe. Flume Trail, Tahoe Rim Trail, Northstar, Downiville Downhill, South Yuba Trail, Yuba Gap.

11HBEVDn-pz8NlnHEGOS7qHuyRK0Y0QUxjA1rQe8

Rg7RYQd-pSfWbk4YL415SFsBehliTZWk5SivmNSK

13 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Go to Tahoe. Flume Trail, Tahoe Rim Trail, Northstar, Downiville Downhill, South Yuba Trail, Yuba Gap.

11HBEVDn-pz8NlnHEGOS7qHuyRK0Y0QUxjA1rQe8

Rg7RYQd-pSfWbk4YL415SFsBehliTZWk5SivmNSK

Those are some sweet pics.  I prefer that type of dirt and rock terrain to the smooth flow and forest background.  

Slapdad is correct about riding in the Reno/Tahoe/Truckee/Lost Sierra region, but that’s another trip from the one you’re asking for suggestions on.

I’ll third St. George. Gooseberry Mesa and Wire Mesa, which are adjacent, can occupy you for several days, and you can pretty much camp next to the trails. The same is true just north and west of that system on the Hurricane Cliffs system, plus you have Zion Ntl Park right there if you’d rather hike for a day or two. There are a bunch of other trail systems north and west of St. George that should also be included, but I’ve not ridden much in those areas.

18 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Slapdad is correct about riding in the Reno/Tahoe/Truckee/Lost Sierra region, but that’s another trip from the one you’re asking for suggestions on.

I’ll third St. George. Gooseberry Mesa and Wire Mesa, which are adjacent, can occupy you for several days, and you can pretty much camp next to the trails. The same is true just north and west of that system on the Hurricane Cliffs system, plus you have Zion Ntl Park right there if you’d rather hike for a day or two. There are a bunch of other trail systems north and west of St. George that should also be included, but I’ve not ridden much in those areas.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I just got called for a vaccine appointment.  This long isolation is almost over and it will be time to hit the awesome bike trails we have all over the west soon.  I'll probably give it a few more months at least with the hope that the numbers are way down.  I am thinking June is a good target and it gives me time to ramp up training and get in some sort of shape to make the drive worth it.  

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I just got called for a vaccine appointment.  This long isolation is almost over and it will be time to hit the awesome bike trails we have all over the west soon.  I'll probably give it a few more months at least with the hope that the numbers are way down.  I am thinking June is a good target and it gives me time to ramp up training and get in some sort of shape to make the drive worth it.  

You’re probably aware of this already, but peak riding season is from March-May in most of the places listed (earlier in Tucson Phoenix and Vegas), and definitely for the St. George area. You’re well into the 90’s by June, and there’s not much high elevation ride temp relief in the area unless you head north up to Bryan Head, so it’s in the saddle early or night rides, unless you don’t mind the heat.

12 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

You’re probably aware of this already, but peak riding season is from March-May in most of the places listed (earlier in Tucson Phoenix and Vegas), and definitely for the St. George area. You’re well into the 90’s by June, and there’s not much high elevation ride temp relief in the area unless you head north up to Bryan Head, so it’s in the saddle early or night rides, unless you don’t mind the heat.

Heat is no problem at all unless there is high humidity.  i ride in the southwest when it is around 100 all summer.  It's a dry heat though, and that makes all the difference in the world.   I don't ride if it's over 105 just to be safe,  but that's very rare in the afternoon.  Just stay hydrated and it doesn't bother me.  

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Heat is no problem at all unless there is high humidity.  i ride in the southwest when it is around 100 all summer.  It's a dry heat though, and that makes all the difference in the world.   I don't ride if it's over 105 just to be safe,  but that's very rare in the afternoon.  Just stay hydrated and it doesn't bother me.  

Ah, to be young again. I wasn’t phased (erp, fazed—too much Star Trek in my youth) by mid 90’s temps in my 20’s through maybe late 40’s, but once I hit my 50’s (57 in a month) those temps started kicking my butt. One acclimates to some degree, but most of the time I head out and it’s north of 90, any vigorous ride longer an hour leaves my couch bound for a couple or three hours and I can forget about riding the next day. 

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

Ah, to be young again. I wasn’t phased by mid 90’s temps in my 20’s through maybe late 40’s, but once I hit my 50’s (57 in a month) those temps started kicking my butt. One acclimates to some degree, but most of the time I head out and it’s north of 90, any vigorous ride longer an hour leaves my couch bound for a couple or three hours and I can forget about riding the next day. 

I'm definitely no spring chicken anymore when it comes to biking.  My body reminds me.  My rides in general are shorter and i need more recovery time.  I am hoping i have at least one more decade of good mountain bike riding before i have to go the road bike route.  That's why i am itching to do a bike road trip again.  This last year was just tough as far as no travel.  Very thankful for my health though.  Pinche pandemic.