Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Coup in Myanmar.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Who are “they” that get to decide such things? 

The “they” is the military dictatorship that was in power at the time. My point was only that I don’t get the whole “it’s hard to keep up with” line because this was a long ass time ago.

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The “they” is the military dictatorship that was in power at the time. My point was only that I don’t get the whole “it’s hard to keep up with” line because this was a long ass time ago.

1990 is only a long ass time ago when talking about UNLV basketball. 

Doing cursory research, the name thing is complicated. The people in the country disagree on what to call it, and our government officials seem to go back and forth when it’s politically expedient. The commie authoritarian government that decided on the name change was Burmese, at least until they started moving towards a form of democracy when it became ok to call the place Myanmar. Then when ethnic cleansing was occurring they were Burma again. Except when talking about the Nobel peace prize winning leader who was in charge, she was definitely running Myanmar. Now that the military is bombing civilians they’re Burma again.

Whatever we call it, this looks like quicksand that’s about to be a tar pit.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

52 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

1990 is only a long ass time ago when talking about UNLV basketball. 

Doing cursory research, the name thing is complicated. The people in the country disagree on what to call it, and our government officials seem to go back and forth when it’s politically expedient. The commie authoritarian government that decided on the name change was Burmese, at least until they started moving towards a form of democracy when it became ok to call the place Myanmar. Then when ethnic cleansing was occurring they were Burma again. Except when talking about the Nobel peace prize winning leader who was in charge, she was definitely running Myanmar. Now that the military is bombing civilians they’re Burma again.

Whatever we call it, this looks like quicksand that’s about to be a tar pit.

Personally I qualify stuff that happened before I started kindergarten as “a long ass time ago”, but that’s just me. And again... I’m not defending the government, my only point was it was certainly long enough ago that i found the “boy these countries are getting crazy with these name changes nowadays!” Type comment weird because this didn’t just happen. The only reason the name change is “confusing” is because the U.S. government has decided to make it confusing; like if we call them Burma for enough years democracy will magically happen. 

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Personally I qualify stuff that happened before I started kindergarten as “a long ass time ago”, but that’s just me. And again... I’m not defending the government, my only point was it was certainly long enough ago that i found the “boy these countries are getting crazy with these name changes nowadays!” Type comment weird because this didn’t just happen. The only reason the name change is “confusing” is because the U.S. government has decided to make it confusing; like if we call them Burma for enough years democracy will magically happen. 

It’s not just our government though. They don’t seem to agree on the name, and the majority in their “democracy” has shown a propensity to ethnically cleanse minority voices in recent years. In any case, the trouble brewing here is much bigger than the minuscule problem of what to call it. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

11 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s not just our government though. They don’t seem to agree on the name, and the majority in their “democracy” has shown a propensity to ethnically cleanse minority voices in recent years. In any case, the trouble brewing here is much bigger than the minuscule problem of what to call it. 

It's close to the entire state failing.  Got to hand it to the people, especially their younger working generations, the sacrifices they are making during this silent strike are something else.

Sad thing is their sacrifices will be for naught.  Illegal trade of drugs and even human capital by the Junta will keep them going.  China and India will continue to buy their gems, jade and timber.

China is such asshole.  

When this all started I don't feel much sympathy for the ousted president, because I felt like she was covering up the massacres. Now, looking back, I wonder how much control over the military she ever really had. I was looking at it from an American perspective, where the trust in our government structure is much higher and will established than in Myanmar. The democracy they had there was a facade that the military allowed to exist until they decided they wanted the power back.

I feel terrible for the people there. I hope they can find a way to free themselves.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

29 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

When this all started I don't feel much sympathy for the ousted president, because I felt like she was covering up the massacres. Now, looking back, I wonder how much control over the military she ever really had. I was looking at it from an American perspective, where the trust in our government structure is much higher and will established than in Myanmar. The democracy they had there was a facade that the military allowed to exist until they decided they wanted the power back.

I feel terrible for the people there. I hope they can find a way to free themselves.

Pretty much all this.  

On 3/27/2021 at 11:50 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Apparently there is an entire wiki page dedicated to the name of Myanmar/Burma. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Myanmar

Seems like the U.S. refused to use Myanmar because a military dictatorship imposed the name change. As they began to transition to democracy our stance on the name softened somewhat, but now Biden is probably making a point to use Burma as a way of saying the coup government is illegitimate, I guess? So when they don’t do Democracy the U.S. President will call them Burma, and when they do democracy the U.S. President will awkwardly use both? Seems extremely petty.

Have you met the fans of "Nevada?" :ph34r:

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Interesting, I have never heard of this school. I lived in Vegas just long enough that I am firmly in the “UNR” camp. 

22 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

22 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Interesting, I have never heard of this school. I lived in Vegas just long enough that I am firmly in the “UNR” camp. 

i will kill you jim GIF