Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Nevada - 2 games

Just now, Posturedoc said:

I don’t understand why you (and a few others) humor ph regarding recruiting...or any sort of analysis, really. He’s a full-on homer who almost universally poops on rival programs about whatever it is he finds offensive about how/why his Rebs lose to them but then “evolves/rationalizes/spouts hypocrisy” when the Rebs do something similar to (hopefully) produce wins. 

I think PH can be a good poster and I am trying to engage him in a regular and relatively pleasant debate.  Maybe it will be fruitless but I think it is worth a shot..

BY the by I am a full on homer too..I don't poop on other programs but I want the Pack to win em' all, all the time... 

25 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think PH can be a good poster and I am trying to engage him in a regular and relatively pleasant debate.  Maybe it will be fruitless but I think it is worth a shot..

BY the by I am a full on homer too..I don't poop on other programs but I want the Pack to win em' all, all the time... 

I see the potential in him in flashes, but then he melts because somebody disputes a point he makes and it’s off to ad-hominem/fluffy bunny/I have a big peepee land. I try to cut him slack and not engage any longer, but as skier just wrote, sometimes one can’t resist calling out the inconsistencies that run rampant through his posts.

4 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I see the potential in him in flashes, but then he melts because somebody disputes a point he makes and it’s off to ad-hominem/fluffy bunny/I have a big peepee land. I try to cut him slack and not engage any longer, but as skier just wrote, sometimes one can’t resist calling out the inconsistencies that run rampant through his posts.

I have been on him before about his inconsistencies.  This is just baby steps on my part..The rest is up to him.  If he wants to be a troll, that is cool..But if he wants people to respect his opinions he has to respect others..

3 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I don’t understand why you (and a few others) humor ph regarding recruiting...or any sort of analysis, really. He’s a full-on homer who almost universally poops on rival programs about whatever it is he finds offensive about how/why his Rebs lose to them but then “evolves/rationalizes/spouts hypocrisy” when the Rebs do something similar to (hopefully) produce wins. 

The Rebels will contend for and probably win the MW next year. They are primed for a big jump.

18 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The Rebels will contend for and probably win the MW next year. They are primed for a big jump.

I find that unrealistic.  The top teams this year are not losing many key players.  Other teams will be improving as well.

21 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I find that unrealistic.  The top teams this year are not losing many key players.  Other teams will be improving as well.

The Rebels will make the jump.  Otzelberger has a plan.

And I’m like the Mormon bleepin’ church!  I change my views when it’s bleepin’ convenient!  And they said Maryland was gonna come in 13th in the B1G in their inaugural season but they came in bleepin’ 2nd!

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The Rebels will make the jump.  Otzelberger has a plan.

And I’m like the Mormon bleepin’ church!  I change my views when it’s bleepin’ convenient!  And they said Maryland was gonna come in 13th in the B1G in their inaugural season but they came in bleepin’ 2nd!

Back to the weird..Well I tried..

On 2/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, slappy said:

2 things.  Your thoughts on the AD needs to apply to your head coach. 

Most of us are not surprised that a low level guy who played D3 hoops is struggling here.   We all knew he would struggle to evaluate the right kids.  He hasn't figured it out yet.  Unlv is paying him to try and figure out how to recruit and identify winners. 2 different things.  Same thing happened when you brought in a high school coach.  They don't know how to sift the talent.  

Hoping for the best and st minimum a .500 finish.  Unlv fans deserve that at least. 

I agree. The having him coach out his contract is more about program stability, than it is about the coach. 

Last year was the year that UNLV was supposed to take the reigns in the MWC and never look back. It was all set up, all DRK had to do was leave it alone. She couldn't. She turned success into failure. The program needed stability, MM improved each season. Nothing flashy, just steady improvement and a proven track record. 

UNLV is sort of stuck with Totz and maybe he figures it out, DRF has already failed, even if things correct in the next few years. She was handed a stable, improving bball program and sent it spiraling in the opposite direction after a botched process. She was handed a state of the art stadium for football and her hire was splashless.

She has already shown she is not ready. I don't trust her to make any more personnel decisions. UNLV needs to cut bait.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:32 PM, Rebels18 said:

Otzelblamer pointing fingers again 

Jenkins is a catch and shoot 3-point gunner---you got him out there running the point and trying to create off the dribble. 

Is this team really that helpless without former walk-on/Menzies recruit Marvin Coleman running the point? 

👀👀👀

On 2/2/2021 at 9:51 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Good point - Their relationship might be able to bridge whatever, or is there is any, problem within the team 

Basically UNLV is a middling MWC team that has to shoot a good % from the arc, get some dribble penetration (which isn't happening with Hamilton out) & have Diong do what he can with his limited ability ........things have to fall into place, if not UNLV is exposed 

I don't get how the roster is so thin on quality guys TJ can run out there to get a stop and a bucket.

You should always, always, always build your team around the type of defense you want to put in, then figure out and coach your offense based on skill sets. 

Both TJ and Dave Rice started off recruiting to their offense and their teams struggle to get stops.

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I agree. The having him coach out his contract is more about program stability, than it is about the coach. 

Last year was the year that UNLV was supposed to take the reigns in the MWC and never look back. It was all set up, all DRK had to do was leave it alone. She couldn't. She turned success into failure. The program needed stability, MM improved each season. Nothing flashy, just steady improvement and a proven track record. 

UNLV is sort of stuck with Totz and maybe he figures it out, DRF has already failed, even if things correct in the next few years. She was handed a stable, improving bball program and sent it spiraling in the opposite direction after a botched process. She was handed a state of the art stadium for football and her hire was splashless.

She has already shown she is not ready. I don't trust her to make any more personnel decisions. UNLV needs to cut bait.

TJ Otzelberger won more against the top 5 in the standings his first year than Marvin Menzies did in his three years here.  And he won ZERO games against the top 5 in the standings in year three.

I still fully believe in TJ Otzelberger.  Success is a process and doesn’t happen overnight.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

TJ Otzelberger won more against the top 5 in the standings his first year than Marvin Menzies did in his three years here.  And he won ZERO games against the top 5 in the standings in year three.

I still fully believe in TJ Otzelberger.  Success is a process and doesn’t happen overnight.

MM improved UNLVs mwc finish in the standings every year he was coach, in a much better mwc. 

TJ has UNLV in 8th after "improving" the team with his guys and trending in the wrong direction. 

You guys keep using the Top 5 wins stat, but its an empty stat considering the amount of blowout losses and no postseason finish.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:01 PM, soupslam1 said:

The Rebels lack two important components. They need a good point guard that can break defenses down, and an inside game.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:51 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Good point - Their relationship might be able to bridge whatever, or is there is any, problem within the team 

Basically UNLV is a middling MWC team that has to shoot a good % from the arc, get some dribble penetration (which isn't happening with Hamilton out) & have Diong do what he can with his limited ability ........things have to fall into place, if not UNLV is exposed 

Amauri Hardy would have been nice right about now. Hes leading Oregon in assists. 

If TJ is going to keep running off good players he and his staff are going to need to start replacing them with guys who as good or better. 

So far his recruiting at UNLV has not translated. 

25 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I don't get how the roster is so thin on quality guys TJ can run out there to get a stop and a bucket.

You should always, always, always build your team around the type of defense you want to put in, then figure out and coach your offense based on skill sets. 

Both TJ and Dave Rice started off recruiting to their offense and their teams struggle to get stops.

Not so much thin on talent, just most of the talent all plays similar games - All are jump shooters & rely heavily on the 3 ball 

Take out Diong & Del Cadia nd everyone else is a perimeter centric jump shooter 

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Amauri Hardy would have been nice right about now. Hes leading Oregon in assists. 

If TJ is going to keep running off good players he and his staff are going to need to start replacing them with guys who as good or better. 

So far his recruiting at UNLV has not translated. 

Hardy along with a healthy Hamilton would add an element the rest of the roster seems to lack......guys who can dribble drive & create - Losing Hardy off the roster is more glaring than most expected, but then I think most people expected a bit more from Jenkins than jump shooting & small drives & fade away jumpers 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

I think they'll be about the same as this year, or a little worse.  They will struggle just to have a winning record. 

You guys need an AD and a coach, or it will just be more of the same. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not so much thin on talent, just most of the talent all plays similar games - All are jump shooters & rely heavily on the 3 ball 

Take out Diong & Del Cadia nd everyone else is a perimeter centric jump shooter 

You agreed without agreeing. They don't have any other talent besides shooting. So the team is lacking in any depth of other talent or players who are multifaceted in talent.

The team lacks depth and talent which is shocking after all the off-season hoopla. But then again not really when it comes to UNLV.

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Hardy along with a healthy Hamilton would add an element the rest of the roster seems to lack......guys who can dribble drive & create - Losing Hardy off the roster is more glaring than most expected, but then I think most people expected a bit more from Jenkins than jump shooting & small drives & fade away jumpers 

I called Jenkins. Hes a hucker from an inferior conference. Easy one to call. He can get hot, but the best teams in the mwc are usually really good defensive teams. No way he stays hot hucking jumpshots.

Even still, you are correct. None of us saw that departure being as impactful as it has, and it shows another glaring light on this staffs recruiting, imo.

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think they'll be about the same as this year, or a little worse.  They will struggle just to have a winning record. 

You guys need an AD and a coach, or it will just be more of the same. 

If the team stays intact, improves and adds a few athletes who can do more than shoot, i think UNLV can finish in the top half. 

Thats about as ambitious as I'm willing to get until this staff shows me something.

If there are departures, players only improve moderately and similar athletes are are brought in, bottom half like this season.

36 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Rice's teams weren't half bad defensively---they had Augmon and Justin Hutson running the defense and those teams had NBA caliber big men like Christian Wood, Bennett, Khem Birch, etc shutting down the paint. 

It was 'offensive guru' Rice who was hopeless communicating his offense to the players--to the point we had heath schroyer out there running shit calling plays in critical timeouts. They were an rudderless ship. 

I'm not writing off Otz yet either, his teams have showed brief 'flashes', but he needs to get his guys to get their shit together. I've never seen a team that's such a sure-thing to crumble in crunchtime to close-out games. It's automatic with Otzelchoker. 

image.png.dcebb0d29fcfdd6b4ef6679b2befcf8c.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif