Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

No more divisions?

20 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I like my idea of two divisions better. One with old WAC teams (Boise, Fresno, Jose, USU, Hawaii, Nevada). One with old Mountain leftovers (CSU, SDSU, Wyoming, AFA, UNLV, UNM).

If UNLV-UNR isn’t on conference schedule, they could do it non-conference those years. (Same with Fresno/Suds.)

Horrible idea if you’re an Aztec fan. There is this thing called ‘recruiting’ and good recruits don’t hang out in the Rockies region. 

kat.jpg

23 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

The Cal State three should play each other every year...

Literally no Aztecs I'm aware of consider SJSU to be a rival of ours. The Spartans were when I attended SDSU (graduated 30 years ago) but they haven't been since.

Since the topic is football and not basketball, Murray is also nuts in thinking SDSU considers UNLV to be a rival. The two schools are definitely rivals in hoops but UNLV is as minimally relevant to SDSU in football as is SJSU.

If we're talking three schools, SDSU's football rivals would be Boise, Fresno and either Nevada or Hawaii.

6 hours ago, Pokez said:

Give me OG Mountain west (who haven't done shit outside of SDST) and WAC add-ons (who have dominated the conference since their introduction) for divisions. 

I like this too. The way it is set up right now makes sense, but I still think of the MW as the originals and the WAC addons.

I'm supposed to hate CSU, but that ass whooping on Boise last night was awesome. 

I was rooting for UNLV last night too. 

On 1/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, mugtang said:

That’s what Murray is proposing. I like the idea and the protected rivalries.  We should seriously consider doing it.

Here are the protected rivalries for each team he’s proposing:

MW protected rivalries

Air Force — Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico

Boise State — Fresno State, Nevada, San Diego State

Colorado State — Wyoming, Air Force, Utah State

Fresno State — Boise State, Nevada, San Jose State

Hawaii — UNLV, San Jose State, New Mexico

Nevada — UNLV, Boise State, Fresno State

New Mexico — Utah State, Air Force, Hawaii

San Diego State — San Jose State, Boise State, UNLV

San Jose State — San Diego State, Fresno State, Hawaii

UNLV — Nevada, Hawaii, San Diego State

Utah State — Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado State

Wyoming — Air Force, Colorado State, Utah State

Anything to get Fresno and Boise to play every year in football, I’m all in for. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

Why do people keep assuming Boise State and SDSU are rivals?

Boise States rivals (If you call them that.) are Nevada, Fresno, Utah State, and Hawaii. Of course they have played them the most because they are from the WAC.

But looking at how often we have played each team, Nevada, Fresno, and Utah State should be our rivals.

16 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Why do people keep assuming Boise State and SDSU are rivals?

Boise States rivals (If you call them that.) are Nevada, Fresno, Utah State, and Hawaii. Of course they have played them the most because they are from the WAC.

But looking at how often we have played each team, Nevada, Fresno, and Utah State should be our rivals.

Good question. Does San Diego State really even have a rivalry?

4 hours ago, BodyBagGame said:

Good question. Does San Diego State really even have a rivalry?

Definitely with UNLV in basketball, somewhat with Fresno and BYU in football.

A better question is do rivalries in a conference as unstable as ours really matter?

13 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Definitely with UNLV in basketball, somewhat with Fresno and BYU in football.

A better question is do rivalries in a conference as unstable as ours really matter?

A couple do.  UNLV v UNR for the cannon is fairly bitter.  The Border War is as intense and historic as they get usually.  I've never really followed the Oil Can thing that close, but it seems to really be a serious rivalry.  Wyoming and Hawaii have tried really hard to reignite the Paniolo trophy, and Wyo v USU play for one of the coolest trophies in CFB.  BTW, the RAM/Falcon trophy looks like something a middle schooler slapped together, but that's beside the point.

Yeah, there's some good rivalries in the conference.  Almost all are within the Mtn Division, or within the West Division.  Very few cross divisional rivalries that anybody gets worked up about.  Another argument for sticking with divisions.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:58 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

I like my idea of two divisions better. One with old WAC teams (Boise, Fresno, Jose, USU, Hawaii, Nevada). One with old Mountain leftovers (CSU, SDSU, Wyoming, AFA, UNLV, UNM).

If UNLV-UNR isn’t on conference schedule, they could do it non-conference those years. (Same with Fresno/Suds.)

UNLV's non-conf opponents are mostly booked for the next 7 seasons.

Hawaii at UNLV is a major event for the Hawaiian community in Las Vegas.  There is a 9th Island Trophy.  Only BYU and Nevada show up in numbers at the level Hawaii does.

As an Aztecs alumni and lifelong fan, I consider SDSU's football rivals to be:  Fresno State, San Jose State and Hawaii.  I have never considered UNLV as rival for San Diego State.  After Hawaii, I would consider Nevada as the next rival for SDSU... not UNLV.  Rivals are created by their common history, not by their common proximity.      

8 hours ago, Aztecjeff said:

As an Aztecs alumni and lifelong fan, I consider SDSU's football rivals to be:  Fresno State, San Jose State and Hawaii.  I have never considered UNLV as rival for San Diego State.  After Hawaii, I would consider Nevada as the next rival for SDSU... not UNLV.  Rivals are created by their common history, not by their common proximity.      

I do like the rivalry Nevada and SDSU that has been developing over the last few years. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

A couple do.  UNLV v UNR for the cannon is fairly bitter.  The Border War is as intense and historic as they get usually.  I've never really followed the Oil Can thing that close, but it seems to really be a serious rivalry.  Wyoming and Hawaii have tried really hard to reignite the Paniolo trophy, and Wyo v USU play for one of the coolest trophies in CFB.  BTW, the RAM/Falcon trophy looks like something a middle schooler slapped together, but that's beside the point.

Yeah, there's some good rivalries in the conference.  Almost all are within the Mtn Division, or within the West Division.  Very few cross divisional rivalries that anybody gets worked up about.  Another argument for sticking with divisions.

The oil can seems to matter to the players but to fans of SDSU and probably also fans of Fresno State, it's just a piece of partially rusted metal.

True rivalries are inevitably created through geographic proximity or through fierce on-field or on-court battles. SDSU has sometimes had the latter with BYU in both football and basketball and it has had them with Fresno in football and very much so with UNLV in basketball.

Nothing hurt the Fresno-SDSU rivalry more than Pat Hill advocating cancellation of a few games in the early aughts presumably over fear of losing to the likes of Tom Craft and Chuck "Fourth and" Long. Btw, whatever happened to good 'ol Pat?

13 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

UNLV's non-conf opponents are mostly booked for the next 7 seasons.

Hawaii at UNLV is a major event for the Hawaiian community in Las Vegas.  There is a 9th Island Trophy.  Only BYU and Nevada show up in numbers at the level Hawaii does.

Yep.  Probably more fights in the stands at the UH games than other UNLV games.  LOL.