Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

New States to the "United States"

38 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Puerto Ricans do not pay federal income taxes unless they are US federal workers. 

What an irrelevant fvcking statement. They have voted yes to statehood multiple times in the last decade, wether or not they “should” get to have a binding referendum on statehood isn’t even up for debate, they should. 

14 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I would reduce DC to a Federal District of just a small area around the Capitol, Supreme Court, White House, Mall, main Cabinet Dept buildings etc. Return the rest to Maryland.

The precedent exists to return the area to Maryland since the original Virginia area of DC was retroceded in 1847.

Puerto Rico should be a state at this point.

Would Maryland want this? Yea it would probably give them another congressional seat, but I have to imagine the D.C. metro would just completely dominate state politics moving forward wouldn’t they? I don’t think the current elected state officials would like this, and the residents of the Baltimore metro probably wouldn’t be thrilled about it either. 

There is ZERO argument for making DC a state.  Just annex the areas where people live into Maryland and Virginia.  Problem solved.  Arguing for anything else shows that you want them to be a state for political purposes.

In regards to Puerto Rico, they really should be given independence.  Anyone born before they get independence should be able to retain US citizenship.

Ideally I would like to see American Samoa united with Samoa, with every current resident of American Samoa given U.S. citizenship in case they would prefer to stay in the United States; I imagine most that would would probably just relocate to Hawaii. Combine the Northern Mariana Islands with Guam in to one territory named The Mariana Islands, and give them a binding referendum on statehood vs free association vs complete independence. I would be ok with also just taking statehood off the table and doing a binding referendum on free association vs complete independence. Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands get binding referendums with the options of Statehood, independence, and free association.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

There is ZERO argument for making DC a state.  Just annex the areas where people live into Maryland and Virginia.  Problem solved.  Arguing for anything else shows that you want them to be a state for political purposes.

In regards to Puerto Rico, they really should be given independence.  Anyone born before they get independence should be able to retain US citizenship.

No, Puerto Rico should have a binding referendum and be allowed to chose between statehood and independence. 

24 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No, Puerto Rico should have a binding referendum and be allowed to chose between statehood and independence. 

Oh that is a bitch...brexit for puerto rico.  What would they call it Prexit?  Puerto Exit? 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Would Maryland want this? Yea it would probably give them another congressional seat, but I have to imagine the D.C. metro would just completely dominate state politics moving forward wouldn’t they? I don’t think the current elected state officials would like this, and the residents of the Baltimore metro probably wouldn’t be thrilled about it either. 

THIS ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Because Washington DC is a city. Not a state. They do deserve representation. But they can get that by being retroceded back to Maryland. If we do statehood for DC then why not Los Angeles or the Bay Area or New York.  

Not sure about comparing to major cities...but also pretty sure it's unconstitutional(can't recall why). So DC would either become part of Maryland or it could become it's  own state but then the capitol area within it would be like Vatican city in Rome...or not even sure what it would compare to...

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’m cool with adding Puerto Rico. As a compromise to get everyone on board, allow Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, and Northern California to split off and form a new state. 52 stars on the flag, everyone wins.

You mean Northern California except for coastal counties? I know Del Norte tends to lean Republican but the county seat, Crescent City, is a virtual mini-Portland in having a ton of young street people. Prolly every damn one of 'em is a commie.

4 hours ago, Nevada6077 said:

I would be in favor of adding Puerto Rico and DC.  They both have greater population then a few states. Is this not a case of taxation without representation?  Isn't that why we fought the civil war?  We have over 3 million people without the proper representation and we treat states with fewer folks better?  How can that be? 

Are there any other additions?  And we are the world in our diversity.

I all for it as long as we can split Washington and Oregon in two. 

Just to make sure we are not doing this for political reasons.  

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’m cool with adding Puerto Rico. As a compromise to get everyone on board, allow Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, and Northern California to split off and form a new state. 52 stars on the flag, everyone wins.

This is not without precedent in US history, Maine was created as a state to offset new states added in the south for example. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

What an irrelevant fvcking statement. They have voted yes to statehood multiple times in the last decade, wether or not they “should” get to have a binding referendum on statehood isn’t even up for debate, they should. 

Calm your tits man. 

8 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You mean Northern California except for coastal counties? I know Del Norte tends to lean Republican but the county seat, Crescent City, is a virtual mini-Portland in having a ton of young street people. Prolly every damn one of 'em is a commie.

Sure.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Because Washington DC is a city. Not a state. They do deserve representation. But they can get that by being retroceded back to Maryland. If we do statehood for DC then why not Los Angeles or the Bay Area or New York.  

Why does it matter? The area of LA County is 4 times that of Rhode Island. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Why not DC ?

They have a larger pop than roughly ten States. They deserve representation.

Having the District annexed by MD will only serve to reduce their political power 

Bullshit. They don't really have any "political power" now.

Put them in Maryland and increase the political power of the whole state.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Why does it matter? The area of LA County is 4 times that of Rhode Island. 

So we should just have 100 states then? 200? Make every county a state?  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So we should just have 100 states then? 200? Make every county a state?  

We could probably stand to have more states, or at least, better drawn states.

But we could also not make nonsensical arguments like there's a minimum area for states, as if it is the land and not the people that make a state :) 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.