Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV - 2 games

Just now, Swoll Cracker said:

Give it a rest rookie. No one in their right mind would argue that UNLV has more shooting depth than either SDSU or CSU based on one game where five guys made at least two three-pointers.

You know I’m right.  Colorado State has nobody outside of Stevens and Moore who are consistent threats.  San Diego State has four guys, but UNLV has five guys.  I’d put San Diego State number one in terms of overall ability, but UNLV I’d have number two. 💩 

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

You know I’m right.  Colorado State has nobody outside of Stevens and Moore who are consistent threats.  San Diego State has four guys, but UNLV has five guys.  I’d put San Diego State number one in terms of overall ability, but UNLV I’d have number two. 💩 

CSU has had seven guys make three’s in one game. Twice.

Over the season, seven CSU players have made at least 3 three’s in a game.

CSU shoots 40% from behind the arc in MWC games. UNLV shoots 34%.

And I’m sure SDSU has done the same.

NEXT!

Mbacke was the MVP tonight. 

Unlv isn't the best team in the conference but they're really not that far off and it will only get closer as the year goes on...if...if...Hamilton and Diong stay healthy.

Ignore the current record.

If they can just clean up a few more things and get Jenkins to stop taking bad shots. TJ had to convince him to be an efficient scorer and not a volume guy.

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

Unlv isn't the best team in the conference but they're really not that far off and it will only get closer as the year goes on...if...if...Hamilton and Diong stay healthy.

If they can just clean up a few more things and get Jenkins to stop taking bad shots. TJ had to convince him to be an efficient scorer and not a volume guy.

Diong has been playing better over the last number of games - But he's pretty much the lone post player of any consequence for UNLV - and tonight I thought he held his own and showed that Queta has a ways to go before he's NBA material IMO - Queta really has no range other than right down under the basket 

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Agree with all of that. Sometimes I hold my breath when Jenkins has the ball.

Utah State managed to make just 5-of-22 from 3-point range, and Queta had trouble gaining any traction inside as UNLV big man Mbacke Diong stood his ground. Queta posted eight points on 3-of-9 shooting; on the defensive end he snagged 11 rebounds and six blocks, which gives a pretty good idea of why UNLV had such a hard time scoring.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/jan/25/unlvs-moses-wood-slams-door-on-utah-state/

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Utah State managed to make just 5-of-22 from 3-point range, and Queta had trouble gaining any traction inside as UNLV big man Mbacke Diong stood his ground. Queta posted eight points on 3-of-9 shooting; on the defensive end he snagged 11 rebounds and six blocks, which gives a pretty good idea of why UNLV had such a hard time scoring.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/jan/25/unlvs-moses-wood-slams-door-on-utah-state/

UNLV did a good job of clamping down on Queta inside and Miller, Ashworth, and Wooster outside. They also kept Bean off the offensive glass. The other guys aren’t going to do enough to hurt you. 

If that was the plan it was well executed.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Agree with all of that. Sometimes I hold my breath when Jenkins has the ball.

I think he can be a really good 12-14 point guy in the MW taking in rhythm threes and even one on one shots were he has at least a little separation. A third teamer, maybe a second...? but he's not the all conference guy he thinks he is. He can't be forcing shots in situations Bryce should be taking for the Rebels to be their best.  Right?

Blake has a ton of upside and will be a star on this team. He is so far ahead of anyone we’ve had in a long time. The 2 blown plays at the end looked that much worse because of how brilliantly he broke down the defense before he turned it over. We won and he learned a lot from the embarrassment of the situation. 

As I said yesterday it is mid conference and anything can happen. The one thing I see is that the Rebs are starting to gel again and play up to their potential. This staff is again showing their capabilities once again given enough time and playing time for the players to get comfortable.

The team and PT are starting to shake themselves out. Blake is a starter, Del Cadia is a role player/substitute that needs another year to let the game slow down for him. Mbacke is showing signs of maturity and confidence. Jenkins needs to work within the offense and take good shots in rhythm. Hamilton and Blake are the guys to break down the opposition offense. Defense is starting to shine as it should at this time of year. Attitude and effort are definitely there and at a level that is encouraging for good things to happen as we move forward. Staff and team are more cohesive than I’ve seen in a decade or more. 12 games into year two and TJO and staff are doing well.

Real good win for the Rebels.  I still have reservations about the ability of this team to finish out a close game.  They hold on for the win, but I need to see this team finish strong at the end of these close game before I believe they are any type of threat in the conference.  Getting better though.  Just continue to do so.