Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobonado

Will UNM fire Weir at the end of the season?

Will UNM fire Weir at the end of the season?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Does he get axed?

I don't know if the will, but they should.

Seems like a really nice guy and a pretty good coach but he hasn't gotten it done for whatever reason.

Alford, Medved Smith and Dutcher all have the same or shorter tenures.

Hutson should be in the dead pool too as  should whoever is coaching that embarrassing, terrible, clustrfvck of a flaming train wreck in San Jose

Air Force should be kicked out of the league.

I'm gonna say NO because of money.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I think they’ll give him a COVID pass after the season.

If they do that, they will basically be giving him a pass for 4 years of dismal performance as a HC.  One can argue the covid angle all they want but Paul Weir may be the worst coach in D1, hold that thought, in College BB.  If he is not let go at the end of this season, Lobos fans will riot and the program will be damaged almost irreparably.   At least for the next 5 years.  

Fire Paul Weir today and let one of the assistants take over.  Former AF coach Dave Pillipovich is 5 times the coach Paul Weir is, let him take over, things cannot get any worse and the cancer will have been removed.  UNM is going to pay Weir for 2 1/2 more years regardless if he the coach or not.  

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

The only thing that saves him is the unusual season because of the Apocalypse Virus. Is the University has basically been in the mercy of the State. Both New Mexico and San Jose State have both shown great character in handling their situation. But is that enough? I don't think it saves him. 

16 hours ago, Lobonado said:

I don't think he gets canned in the middle of the season, but I think he's done at the end. 

https://www.abqjournal.com/2336726/the-sad-state-of-lobo-hoops-isnt-easily-repaired.html

I think this guy is being too easy on Weir, but it's a prospective anyway. "There has to be concern about the direction of this program, or even if there is direction at all." 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

It is funny how many Lobo fans thought he was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, despite the fact that he only had one year of head coaching experience.  I know he was an Alford assistant at Iowa, but had he really done anything else to justify New Mexico hiring him initially.  Has Chris Jans done enough to make himself a replacement candidate?

11 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

It is funny how many Lobo fans thought he was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, despite the fact that he only had one year of head coaching experience.  I know he was an Alford assistant at Iowa, but had he really done anything else to justify New Mexico hiring him initially.  Has Chris Jans done enough to make himself a replacement candidate?

He looked somewhat promising after his first year when he took UNM to the MWC tourny championship. But since then it has been horrendous. 

I think Jans is a very good coach, but no more NMSU coaches please.

What is the consensus on Dixon for you guys? I feel like he hasn't done much over there, but then again do TCU fans even care about basketball?

15 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I would challenge you to find any posts thinking what you claim.  From what I remember Lobo fans were ok with Weir but were in wait and see mode, although as usual thinking postive.  No way was he ever thought of as the greatest thing since sliced bread, get your facts stratight.

As it turned out Weir had a couple of good moments but truth be told he never had the Lobos in contention for a regular season crown.  And looking back now, he turned out to be the biggest debacle of a HC choice in Lobos history IMO, and that includes Richie Mckay.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

He looked somewhat promising after his first year when he took UNM to the MWC tourny championship. But since then it has been horrendous. 

I think Jans is a very good coach, but no more NMSU coaches please.

What is the consensus on Dixon for you guys? I feel like he hasn't done much over there, but then again do TCU fans even care about basketball?

I don't think he will be fired this year, but some boosters do.  I wasn't impressed with how he finished at Pitt and I wasn't really wanting him to get the TCU job.  I do understand why they felt the need to hire him.  He has gotten them to an NCAA Tournament and two NIT Final Fours, including a championship, but I don't think they will get to that level again under Dixon.  When the administration wouldn't let him out of his buyout to take the UCLA job, it really poisoned the well with Dixon.  I suspect TCU is waiting on him to quit or the contract to come to an end.

4 hours ago, Lobonado said:

We have the best fans in the conference. For the overall good of the MW, UNM basketball needs to wake up.  The Pit needs to rock again.

One of my fondest sports memories was being in the student section for that game. It really bums me out how far this program has plummeted