Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSF

NBC shutting down NBCSN

Report from the Athletic:

NBC plans to shut down NBC Sports Network by the end of this year and will shift its biggest programming — including NHL, NASCAR and the Premier League — to USA Network, according to multiple reports.

The Golf Channel and Olympic Channel, NBC’s other sports networks, will not be affected, sources told Sports Business Journal.

NBCUniversal sent a memo to staffers on Friday afternoon, according to the Wall Street Journal.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I noticed they started putting some soccer games on their paid streaming service this season, I think it's called Peacock. 

I wonder how much live sports will actually be shown on other networks or if they start to promote the paid streaming more. They have to pay for those Sunday night football rights somehow!

Interesting. Probably feel they get more bang for their buck this way by raising their carriage fees for USA while ditching the costs associated with running NBCSN. As it stands USA has the fifth highest fees at $1.65/month, but this could put them up close to second place TNT who charges $2.20.

ESPN is #1 at $7.64, NFL Network is #3 at $1.79, and Fox News is #4 at $1.72.

https://variety.com/vip/pay-tv-true-cost-free-1234810682/

I watch NHL games on NBCSN when San Jose is playing. sj.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop&cquality=40&location=origin Go Sharks! 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/01/22/nhl-on-nbc-nbcsn-hockey-2020-21-schedule/

USA has more subscribers than NBCSN.  This could be a move designed to help keep the NHL, or at least part of it, since ESPN is known to want back in on the league.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I noticed they started putting some soccer games on their paid streaming service this season, I think it's called Peacock. 

They were doing that before with NBC Sports Gold before Peacock went live.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

They were doing that before with NBC Sports Gold before Peacock went live.

Right. But it seems like the number of streaming-only games has increased this year, as well as the quality of teams that are involved in those streaming games. Definitely feels like an increased push for streaming coming from NBC compared to last year

6 hours ago, RSF said:

Report from the Athletic:

NBC plans to shut down NBC Sports Network by the end of this year and will shift its biggest programming — including NHL, NASCAR and the Premier League — to USA Network, according to multiple reports.

The Golf Channel and Olympic Channel, NBC’s other sports networks, will not be affected, sources told Sports Business Journal.

NBCUniversal sent a memo to staffers on Friday afternoon, according to the Wall Street Journal.

That sucks but not altogether surprised.  I just hope they don't shut down the Olympic channel.  I watch the hell out of it for biathalon, nordic and alpine world cup skiing.

7 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I wonder how much live sports will actually be shown on other networks or if they start to promote the paid streaming more. They have to pay for those Sunday night football rights somehow!

Peacock is free, though you can pay for a version that doesn't have ads.

Sports are consolidating. It’s pretty obvious. Attendance and tv ratings are down.  Devastatingly so at nbcsn I guess.  They simply can’t afford to keep broadcasting events like they have.  Competition from esports is huge. Esports are outside the realm of the ncaa as well providing them with degrees of freedom you don’t see in the ncaa controlled sports. 

https://influencermarketinghub.com/growth-of-esports-stats/

By Feb 2020, the year-over-year growth rate had slightly dropped to 11.7%, although that's still a sizable increase. In 2020, there were 272 million occasional viewers and 223 million enthusiasts. So, the total audience size grew to 496 million, almost half a billion eSports followers.

By 2023, Newzoo predicts that the annual growth rate will be approximately 10.4%. They also expect that the number of casual viewers will grow to 351 million. And that there will be 295 million eSports enthusiasts, making the total audience 646 million.

Here’s a look at college esports

https://nacesports.org/

“This battery is the new oil”. store dot