Stealthlobo

Watches

@TheSanDiegan, @Stealthlobo, which one of you can pull this off?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

@TheSanDiegan, @Stealthlobo, which one of you can pull this off?

fuck-this-fuck-that.gif

I would do the time to rob him at gunpoint just to get that watch off his f*cking ankle. I sincerely hope a gator bites his leg off.

I have been known though to occasionally wear a mechanical watches on each wrist at home to keep multiple watches wound. 

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

After reading some experiences in an Omega forum, I'm getting really discouraged about the snoopy 50th anniv. Some guy was talking how he put a deposit down over a year ago and was put at #20 on that wait list. So far his boutique has given out a total of 4 watches... I was put on a couple of lists 5 months ago (no deposit) and I know one of them had only delivered 1 watch so far. So I'm leaning towards my original plan of a used ck2998 instead of hoping for a miracle.

Has anyone here heard of or used watch rapport? I've been following the watch for a bit on chrono24 and crown and caliber, but i can get it for significantly less on watch rapport but I don't know much about them. 

Snoopy vs CK2998

Omega-Speedmaster-Silver-Snoopy-Award-50th-Anniversary-310_32_42_50_02.001-Review-2.jpg.6f66d11b5dca1c3083acb6be7a7be3a2.jpg

49835207797_6905930a38_b.jpg

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

After reading some experiences in an Omega forum, I'm getting really discouraged about the snoopy 50th anniv. Some guy was talking how he put a deposit down over a year ago and was put at #20 on that wait list. So far his boutique has given out a total of 4 watches... I was put on a couple of lists 5 months ago (no deposit) and I know one of them had only delivered 1 watch so far. So I'm leaning towards my original plan of a used ck2998 instead of hoping for a miracle.

Has anyone here heard of or used watch rapport? I've been following the watch for a bit on chrono24 and crown and caliber, but i can get it for significantly less on watch rapport but I don't know much about them. 

Snoopy vs CK2998

Omega-Speedmaster-Silver-Snoopy-Award-50th-Anniversary-310_32_42_50_02.001-Review-2.jpg.6f66d11b5dca1c3083acb6be7a7be3a2.jpg

49835207797_6905930a38_b.jpg

No experience with Watch Rapport, but I would suggest searching on WUS to see what members have to say. 

• Like 1

@TheSanDiegan

Just got my Willard back from the local watch guy who serviced it. Thanks for the tip on the Uncle Seiko strap for such a great discount. Light's not great in here where I'm doing some work, but the strap looks great. A little stiff, but I imagine it will break in nice. 

20210924_153432.jpg

20210924_152510.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 4

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, Stealthlobo said:

That's a nice looking watch!

Thanks! I was really digging on that style of the round bezel and dial with the more squared back behind it. So coming across this puppy was a real cool thing. I'm very happy with this, and I think the hardest thing is going to be not to wear a collectable into the ground cuz I'm gonna want to wear it all the time. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Thanks! I was really digging on that style of the round bezel and dial with the more squared back behind it. So coming across this puppy was a real cool thing. I'm very happy with this, and I think the hardest thing is going to be not to wear a collectable into the ground cuz I'm gonna want to wear it all the time. 

Heh, you only life once. Enjoy what you own.

Wear it. Drive it. Live it. You can't take it with you once youre dead B)

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Heh, you only life once. Enjoy what you own.

Wear it. Drive it. Live it. You can't take it with you once youre dead B)

Fair enough, though this is gonna be my boy's one day since it was my grandfather's and then my aunt's. But these things supposedly survived in the Mi Kong Delta. This one can survive on my wrist while I write a dissertation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Fair enough, though this is gonna be my boy's one day since it was my grandfather's and then my aunt's. But these things supposedly survived in the Mi Kong Delta. This one can survive on my wrist while I write a dissertation. 

Touche'. I have no kids and no plans on having them. So I probably have a different outlook on possessions. Good watches though will definitely survive multiple generations.

• Like 1

Brought in the other 2 wrist watches I found, too. 

20210924_210106.jpg.29dfa16afd3fcfe5a34650c5bb8815ce.jpg

This Enicar cleaned up nice. The watch dude seemed to be particularly interested in it, my guess is because you don't find them around much. I did some looking around and it seems watches like these go for a couple hundred bucks, so not super high value but it has my grandfathers name custom engraved on the dial, which is cool. And I love the vintage minimalist look. Has the original strap, which I'm not a fan of. I am thinking I'm going to get a nice replacement down the line, but not sure what to get. I guess maybe a nice brown or black leather strap could look good. Any suggestions would be helpful.

20210924_210210.jpg.81fad340a54be088a64315cefc4499c0.jpg

The guy I took them in to suggested not servicing the Gallet right now since it is in good condition and holds time seemingly pretty well. His thought was, if it is working OK and I'm not going to wear it a ton, there's no need at the moment. And right now, I only expect to wear it on certain formal or somewhat formal occasions. The strap I found it on is not the original, so I put it temporarily on a basic nato just to hold it. But I am going to get a new strap, a nice one, ASAP. Any suggestions? The thing that makes it weird is it looks like this watch has 17.5 mm lugs. It can fit an 18 mm strap, but the 18 mm springs I tried to put on it didn't fit. They may be cheap ones, though. 

Anyways, I'm really happy with these 2 and the seiko. Cool connection to my grandfather who, unfortunately I never knew. And my Aunt, too, with whom I was close. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

@TheSanDiegan

Just got my Willard back from the local watch guy who serviced it. Thanks for the tip on the Uncle Seiko strap for such a great discount. Light's not great in here where I'm doing some work, but the strap looks great. A little stiff, but I imagine it will break in nice. 

20210924_153432.jpg

The new straps make it pop. Looks good. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

You guys ever use wooden watch boxes?  I was going to make one for my father in law but wasn't sure how useful they are.

Absolutely. Watch cases tend to not play well together.

If I might suggest, first take a look on Amazon or Ebay for replacement watch cushions/pillows.  They generally come in two types: pillow-shaped and oval cushions. Then, from there, you'll know how wide to make the slots.

Also, allow enough room between watches so they can move within the confines of their slot without contacting each other.

I have several wooden watch boxes, all inexpensive and (relatively) cheaply made. The only thing I've had to replace one the years are the pillows.

If you want to Go Big, look into integrating a watch winder or two.

And if you do this, please post pics of the finished product! :cheers:

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Absolutely. Watch cases tend to not play well together.

If I might suggest, first take a look on Amazon or Ebay for replacement watch cushions/pillows.  They generally come in two types: pillow-shaped and oval cushions. Then, from there, you'll know how wide to make the slots.

Also, allow enough room between watches so they can move within the confines of their slot without contacting each other.

I have several wooden watch boxes, all inexpensive and (relatively) cheaply made. The only thing I've had to replace one the years are the pillows.

If you want to Go Big, look into integrating a watch winder or two.

And if you do this, please post pics of the finished product! :cheers:

Yeah I'm still planning it all out in my head.  Stuck on the dimensions for each part, I'll buy some watch pillows thanks for the suggestion.  I've got a bunch of leftover african mahogony and padouk to make the box with.  Was thinking of using box joints and having it look a little like this.
image.png.4c5b400c2c44e601426a51512d038989.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

You guys ever use wooden watch boxes?  I was going to make one for my father in law but wasn't sure how useful they are.

Does a golfer carry their clubs in a golf bag? Of course! I think your FIL will appreciate it.

• Like 2