Stealthlobo

Watches

On 9/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

The T-25 really looses a lot over the first five years, i.e., the loss of brightness looks much duller after even a 20-25% effective loss of luminosity. But after five years, the T-100 tritium still outshines even my newest & brightest lumed watches after approx. ten minutes.

However, as to the claims of the "indefinite lifespan" of lume, that's a negatory, Ghostrider. 

ETA: Maybe newer has this property? :shrug: But "older" (i.e., even late 20th C.) watches most certainly don't as evidenced by the photos below. 

ETAA: Just checked and Superluminova was invented in 1993. I am sure the use of radium-based pigments (which as a radioactive material have a half-life) didn't suddenly cease, but rather was adapted over the course of years. That would explain my three watches from the 1990s that all have dead lume. So maybe Superluminova does last forever? :hmmm:

Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with the lume on my Omega. Indefinite was just internet banter. Indefinite poor performance is still indefinite.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

As a follow-up to the last two posts, here are two photos I took a month or so back. In each instance, the lume has been freshly charged. Guess which watch is each photo is a) the oldest, and b) has tritium? :hmmm:

IMG-3262-1.jpg

IMG-3262.jpg

Oldest - second from left in top row in first pic, and bottom right watch in second pic?

Tritium - bottom left watch in first pic, and top middle in second?

On 9/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, NMpackalum said:

Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with the lume on my Omega. Indefinite was just internet banter. Indefinite poor performance is still indefinite.

Good point. As far as lume monsters are concerned, that was the selling point that got me to purchase my SKX.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Oldest - second from left in top row in first pic, and bottom right watch in second pic?

Tritium - bottom left watch in first pic, and top middle in second?

Winner winner, chicken dinner. 

BTW, the tritium watches are both about the same age. However, the one in the top pic (Luminox) uses T-25 tritium, while the one in the bottom pic (Ball) uses T-100. The brightest spot on the Luminox is the pip on the dive bezel, which uses lume instead. But the T-100 tubes on the Ball will outshine all of them within about ten minutes as the lumed watches begin to fade.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Winner winner, chicken dinner. 

BTW, the tritium watches are both about the same age. However, the one in the top pic (Luminox) uses T-25 tritium, while the one in the bottom pic (Ball) uses T-100. The brightest spot on the Luminox is the pip on the dive bezel, which uses lume instead. But the T-100 tubes on the Ball will outshine all of them within about ten minutes as the lumed watches begin to fade.

Wow. Guess I'm getting a better eye as time goes by. It was educated guesses, but still all guesses. Only thing I really know about tritium is (I think) it's what's used on my old Kimber's sights, and Ball uses it to create cool colors.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:33 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Wow. Guess I'm getting a better eye as time goes by. It was educated guesses, but still all guesses. Only thing I really know about tritium is (I think) it's what's used on my old Kimber's sights, and Ball uses it to create cool colors.

I bought tritium sights for my Sig I haven't put on in the 10-15 years I've had them. Not sure they work right sitting in a gear bag. 😬 Freshly charged lume will always outshine tritium but tritium never needs recharging for, oh, 25ish years or so. 

• Like 1

Figured I'd post this since I took it the other night when taking a photo for the Vice thread. Gives me an excuse to bump it and I don't think I've posted this Oris yet (and I'm not about to go searching through 80 pages to check). My 65 is my lone Swiss 'vintage' diver.

IMG-3817.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:15 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Figured I'd post this since I took it the other night when taking a photo for the Vice thread. Gives me an excuse to bump it and I don't think I've posted this Oris yet (and I'm not about to go searching through 80 pages to check). My 65 is my lone Swiss 'vintage' diver.

IMG-3817.jpg

Isn't that your wife? ;)

Sweet watch, have you taken any of ur divers into the water in SD? I bet they're fun to have on the beach there.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:51 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Isn't that your wife? ;)

Sweet watch, have you taken any of ur divers into the water in SD? I bet they're fun to have on the beach there.

Ha. Only when capitalized. But yes, I bump that too. 😬

As to the second question, other than the pool, nope - rarely get wet anymore. If I was to go surfing or deep sea fishing, I'd probably take one of my Citizens. I don't snorkel/skin dive here, but if I was in a location where I was I'd take whichever dive watches suited my mood. Maybe the 65 to Hawaii, the Aquis or Ebel on a cruise, the HC to wherever. :shrug: 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:26 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Ha. Only when capitalized. But yes, I bump that too. 😬

As to the second question, other than the pool, nope - rarely get wet anymore. If I was to go surfing or deep sea fishing, I'd probably take one of my Citizens. I don't snorkel/skin dive here, but if I was in a location where I was I'd take whichever dive watches suited my mood. Maybe the 65 to Hawaii, the Aquis or Ebel on a cruise, the HC to wherever. :shrug: 

Makes sense. I'd never go into the water in your freezing west coast water either, lol.

Heading to Honduras in a few weeks and going to try the Bb58 on bracelet for those dives ( only have tried NATO strap in the past)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Makes sense. I'd never go into the water in your freezing west coast water either, lol.

Heading to Honduras in a few weeks and going to try the Bb58 on bracelet for those dives ( only have tried NATO strap in the past)

What bracelet are you going with? I've been sitting on a flat shark mesh for my HC but can't get the end links off without risking scratching the case. You know... #WhitePeopleProblems. :ph34r:

On 9/27/2022 at 12:09 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

What bracelet are you going with? I've been sitting on a flat shake mesh for my HC but can't get the end links off without risking scratching the case. You know... #WhitePeopleProblems. :ph34r:

Got the original bb58 Tudor bracelet (In restrospect, coulda bought another watch for that price... 🙄)

On 9/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, NMpackalum said:

Anthony's Key? Lots of big fish there, which is what i like.

You been to Roatan? We usually dive on the south side of the island (Mary's Place is one of our favorite spots in the world), but I would enjoy seeing some different locations on the north side too, especially if they have awesome fish.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:14 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Got the original bb58 Tudor bracelet (In restrospect, coulda bought another watch for that price... 🙄)

That's a big reason why I've never bought the Aquis bracelet (I keep using that money to buy new watches :)). Well, that and the fact the OEM rubber strap on the Aquis is, simply put, the singular best rubber watch strap I've ever had on my wrist.

The big difference IMO is the Aquis bracelet is a work of art, whereas the BB58 bracelet (no offense) is pedestrianAF - all tool, no style. 😬 I mean, even with polished middle links, the generic design of the HC's bracelet has made me want to replace it since I first bought it. But compared to the BB58's bracelet, the HC's bracelet looks like it was designed by Gaudi.

Plus, I like to preserve OEM bracelets and straps *unless* they are the singular best option for a given watch - bracelets will get dinged from desk diving in no time at all (especially brushed steel, which both picks up and reflects marks more easily than polished steel). Not to mention, not all watchmakers nail it with every watch - the OG Cocktail Time's bright blue strap needs to be killed. With fire.

Getting to know you a little better through this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict you become bored as hell with the OEM bracelet in relatively short order - you value style and I think over time will come to see the bracelet as lacking it.

Oh - lastly, a word to the wise - fitted end links can be a bitch to get on and off a watch, and even skilled watchmakers/repair shops will scratch a case as often as not doing so. 😬

On 9/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, Stealthlobo said:

You been to Roatan? We usually dive on the south side of the island (Mary's Place is one of our favorite spots in the world), but I would enjoy seeing some different locations on the north side too, especially if they have awesome fish.

Its been more than 10 years but as I recall, there were lots of fish and big grouper. Dive sites weren't very far off the resort, maybe 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 11:30 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

That's a big reason why I've never bought the Aquis bracelet (I keep using that money to buy new watches :)). Well, that and the fact the OEM rubber strap on the Aquis is, simply put, the singular best rubber watch strap I've ever had on my wrist.

The big difference IMO is the Aquis bracelet is a work of art, whereas the BB58 bracelet (no offense) is pedestrianAF - all tool, no style. 😬 I mean, even with polished middle links, the generic design of the HC's bracelet has made me want to replace it since I first bought it. But compared to the BB58's bracelet, the HC's bracelet looks like it was designed by Gaudi.

Plus, I like to preserve OEM bracelets and straps *unless* they are the singular best option for a given watch - bracelets will get dinged from desk diving in no time at all (especially brushed steel, which both picks up and reflects marks more easily than polished steel). Not to mention, not all watchmakers nail it with every watch - the OG Cocktail Time's bright blue strap needs to be killed. With fire.

Getting to know you a little better through this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict you become bored as hell with the OEM bracelet in relatively short order - you value style and I think over time will come to see the bracelet as lacking it.

Oh - lastly, a word to the wise - fitted end links can be a bitch to get on and off a watch, and even skilled watchmakers/repair shops will scratch a case as often as not doing so. 😬

To be honest, I love the bb58 bracelet (even the fake rivets). The brushed steel looks amazing in real life and the weight is perfect. I actually bought it a year and a half ago, but it was like $800-$900...

I really like the NATOs on it too, and if I get the GMT ii master on oyster steel, then I'll probably only wear the bb58s on the NATO. If I get it jubilee, Ill probably do the same as today and switch it out occasionally.

I bought the bergeon watch tweezers and I've gotten pretty good at getting the bracelet on and off quickly, but it definitely is easy to scratch the case.

I was thinking of looking at a rubberB strap, but don't know if that's overkill on expense. Do you like your rubber strap in terms of feel and mobility?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, Stealthlobo said:

I was thinking of looking at a rubberB strap, but don't know if that's overkill on expense. Do you like your rubber strap in terms of feel and mobility?

It balances and distributes the weight of the watch far better than a bracelet, which is subjected to movement on your wrist regardless of how close a fit you can achieve. And the Aquis is a monster of a case... "kettle case" indeed. But Oris' rubber strap makes it feel almost weightless. 

I'm stoked you're stoked on the BB58 bracelet - different strokes for different folks and all that - wear it in good health and with pride. :cheers:

I actually find the HC's OEM bracelet to be extremely well-executed, but my beef is there is nothing to really make it aesthetically stand apart from a multitude of other dress divers. So I bought this Ploprof shark mesh bracelet, but as mentioned, have yet to put it on the watch (not my photo):

sbsqkQ.jpg

On 9/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

It balances and distributes the weight of the watch far better than a bracelet, which is subjected to movement on your wrist regardless of how close a fit you can achieve. And the Aquis is a monster of a case... "kettle case" indeed. But Oris' rubber strap makes it feel almost weightless. 

I'm stoked you're stoked on the BB58 bracelet - different strokes for different folks and all that - wear it in good health and with pride. :cheers:

I actually find the HC's OEM bracelet to be extremely well-executed, but my beef is there is nothing to really make it aesthetically stand apart from a multitude of other dress divers. So I bought this Ploprof shark mesh bracelet, but as mentioned, have yet to put it on the watch (not my photo):

sbsqkQ.jpg

Those bracelets scare me a bit honestly, so tell me how it wears. Im not super hairy (Spanish and a little Asian blood in me), but I'm worried thos mesh bracelets will pull arm hair left and right.

Do you think it's worth spending extra on a runberB or Everest rubber strap, or is it just extra spending for brand name?