Stealthlobo

Watches

On 9/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

@TheSanDiegan Every other week when I am out running errands on Sunday I stop at a few local pawn shops hoping to find good deals on guns or knives (this habit started ever since I found a Winchester 25/35 in 80% condition for $750)..  They had this gun for sale for $120.  It's a tad big for me but thinking of buying it for my uncle who has helped with a lot of home improvements the past year.  Should I pull the trigger or buy new?  

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-Shock-Quartz-Watch-Resin/dp/B01E45GMMQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3T871N3EIHR94&keywords=g+shock+mudmaster&qid=1662947575&sprefix=g+shock+mud%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-2

You might be better off getting from the Casio outlet online. Most likely similar price as the pawn shop.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 10:03 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm dyin' to see a photo of your collection; indulge us.

I'm not sure it is much of a collection. But here you go.

From left to right: Hamilton Ventura, Maurice LeCroix master Croneo, Nomos Tangente, Omega Diver 300, Rolex Datejust

Citizen GMT, Casioak full metal, Seiko Field watch, Citizen Worldtimer

watches.jpg.18d7257ac420a983ad2181377d3e8da9.jpg

• Cheers 4

On 9/13/2022 at 10:29 AM, NMpackalum said:

From left to right: Hamilton Ventura, Maurice LeCroix master Croneo, Nomos Tangente, Omega Diver 300, Rolex Datejust

Thank you for posting it! I can see how a Tank or Santos would make a nice addition (is that what the open pillow is reserved for?).

You've managed to assemble in your collection a wide range of different aesthetics that similarly span a range of both formality and function. Each watch is distinctive for what it is; well done, sir. :cheers: I also really like the blue dial on your DJ. Is the case on your Seamaster also 18K or is it just the bezel and crowns? Either way that is my favorite color combo on that watch (back dial w/ gold bezel).

I've long considered a Junghans Max Bill to fill the same minimalist aesthetic as the Nomos does in your collection.  I also have a Citizen (atomic) world timer as well but mine lacks the chronograph function (it has a 26-time zone world city chapter ring where you have the tachymeter) - the 6 o'clock sundial is a 2-handset 2nd timezone, power reserve and retrograde date at the 12 o'clock position. It's my "index watch" by which I set all my others, as well as my in-transit travel watch.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that - stoked to see each of them.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 9/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

Thank you for posting it! I can see how a Tank or Santos would make a nice addition (is that what the open pillow is reserved for?).

You've managed to assemble in your collection a wide range of different aesthetics that similarly span a range of both formality and function. Each watch is distinctive for what it is; well done, sir. :cheers: I also really like the blue dial on your DJ. Is the case on your Seamaster also 18K or is it just the bezel and crowns? Either way that is my favorite color combo on that watch (back dial w/ gold bezel).

I've long considered a Junghans Max Bill to fill the same minimalist aesthetic as the Nomos does in your collection.  I also have a Citizen (atomic) world timer as well but mine lacks the chronograph function (it has a 26-time zone world city chapter ring where you have the tachymeter) - the 6 o'clock sundial is a 2-handset 2nd timezone, power reserve and retrograde date at the 12 o'clock position. It's my "index watch" by which I set all my others, as well as my in-transit travel watch.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that - stoked to see each of them.

The Seamaster is the Sedna Gold (rose). I actually would consider picking up a Max Bill especially the chrono. Yes, there is a pillow for the Blue Bezel Santos. I'm not sure there are many more  watches in the future after that. Maybe a JLC master moonphase but honestly, the longines version is just as pretty for a quarter of the price. My grail watch would be the A Lange Sohne Oddyseus but it's unattainable due to scarcity and price.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, NMpackalum said:

The Seamaster is the Sedna Gold (rose). I actually would consider picking up a Max Bill especially the chrono. Yes, there is a pillow for the Blue Bezel Santos. I'm not sure there are many more  watches in the future after that. Maybe a JLC master moonphase but honestly, the longines version is just as pretty for a quarter of the price. My grail watch would be the A Lange Sohne Oddyseus but it's unattainable due to scarcity and price.

Just take my word for it when I say it is easiest to stop with a full box. Just one... more... and then eventually you'll be buying another box in which to house it, er, them. Symptoms of an imminent case of MOAR Watch include an epiphany that you need beater or backup versions of each watch you already have. Should this happen, seek help immediately. :whistle:

On 9/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Just take my word for it when I say it is easiest to stop with a full box. Just one... more... and then eventually you'll be buying another box in which to house it, er, them. Symptoms of an imminent case of MOAR Watch include an epiphany that you need beater or backup versions of each watch you already have. Should this happen, seek help immediately. :whistle:

I already need help. There are actually 3 more spots in that box.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, NMpackalum said:

Awesome collection. That sedna seamaster is definitely giving me James bond version vibes, very cool.

omega-seamaster-diver-300m-co-axial-master-chronometer-42-mm-21090422001001-l.png

On 9/18/2022 at 9:17 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

No fine studio photography on hand, but I do have some lume shots on file. :)

IMG-3286.jpg

IMG-3288.jpg

IMG-3300.jpg

IMG-3301.jpg

Nice, nice! That citizen looks crazy bright!

Went through my pics and only lume shot u have of mine is this one (need to take some new pics I think):

PXL_20210402_015528528.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 8:58 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Nice, nice! That citizen looks crazy bright!

Went through my pics and only lume shot u have of mine is this one (need to take some new pics I think):

PXL_20210402_015528528.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I'd rate the lume of my dive watches in the following order:

1. Seiko STO Tuna (SRPC91)
  2. Seiko SKX007
  3. Citizen Promaster NY00040
  4. Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive
  5. Oris Aquis
  6. Makara Sea Turtle
  7. Longines Hydroconquest
  8. Oris 65
  9. Orient Mako (dead)
  10. Certina DS Action
  11. Certina DS First
  12. Ebel Sportwave Diver (dead lume)
  13. Breil (dead lume)

A clean sweep from Japan, with the closest Swiss watch coming in at #5 (and the Aquis has outstanding lume). I would have placed the Glycine somewhere in the 7-9, maybe 10-spot. And you could swap 7 and 8 (I just did). 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:02 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

I'd rate the lume of my dive watches in the following order:

1. Seiko STO Tuna (SRPC91)
  2. Seiko SKX007
  3. Citizen Promaster NY00040
  4. Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive
  5. Oris Aquis
  6. Makara Sea Turtle
  7. Oris 65
  8. Longines Hydroconquest
  9. Orient Mako (dead)
  10. Certina DS Action
  11. Certina DS First
  12. Ebel Sportwave Diver (dead lume)
  13. Breil (dead lume)

A clean sweep from Japan, with the closest Swiss watch coming in at #5 (and the Aquis has outstanding lume). I would have placed the Glycine somewhere in the 7-9, maybe 10-spot. And you could swap 7 and 8 - the lume real estate on the Oris gives it the edge over the HC. 

How does lume die?

On 9/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I imagine the photoluminescence decays as a function of time. :shrug: 

Interesting. Some reason I thought sealed under the sapphire it would be protected. I guess they replace those pieces during regular service every 7-10 years to keep your lume bright.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:04 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Interesting. Some reason I thought sealed under the sapphire it would be protected. I guess they replace those pieces during regular service every 7-10 years to keep your lume bright.

Tritium lumes have a half life of 12 years. Other lume paints have theoretically indefinite lifespans. per the internet.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:21 AM, NMpackalum said:

Tritium lumes have a half life of 12 years. Other lume paints have theoretically indefinite lifespans. per the internet.

The T-25 really looses a lot over the first five years, i.e., the loss of brightness looks much duller after even a 20-25% effective loss of luminosity. But after five years, the T-100 tritium still outshines even my newest & brightest lumed watches after approx. ten minutes.

However, as to the claims of the "indefinite lifespan" of lume, that's a negatory, Ghostrider. 

ETA: Maybe newer has this property? :shrug: But "older" (i.e., even late 20th C.) watches most certainly don't as evidenced by the photos below. 

ETAA: Just checked and Superluminova was invented in 1993. I am sure the use of radium-based pigments (which as a radioactive material have a half-life) didn't suddenly cease, but rather was adapted over the course of years. That would explain my three watches from the 1990s that all have dead lume. So maybe Superluminova does last forever? :hmmm:

On 9/20/2022 at 6:04 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Yeah, it still fades over time. There are re-luming shops guys send their watches too; I believe the closest to me is in AZ.

ETA: All my "dead lume" watches likely used pre-Luminova/Superluminova radium-based lume pigments, which like all radioactive substances have a half-life and will eventually fade to black. 

• Like 1