Stealthlobo

Watches

On 6/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Just met a cool dude at the Rockies game rocking this glycine watch with metal bracelet. Never seen one before in the wild.

glycine-combat-sub-automatic-black-dial-mens-watch-gl0083.jpg

And what was your impression? Mine has become a quasi-daily wear, at least until the honeymoon phase wears off - I'll be wearing mine at the Padres-Mets game tomorrow night. :)

It's a great no frills watch. Not a lume monster, and the casework is pedestrian, but a solidly-built watch that feels and looks more expensive than its street price. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:45 PM, retrofade said:

I was so tempted to get it when I saw it at Costco a few weeks back. 

giphy.gif

You will not regret it.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:53 PM, Stealthlobo said:

@TheSanDiegan knows more than me about them, but they definitely have a reputation for solid, quality watches at a good price.

@retrofade Glycine has been around for over 100 years. They cut their teeth in the aviation watch genre in the '50s and was commonly used by airmen in both the civilian and military sectors. The Airman is a legacy model that is one of the relatively few watches that's been worn by NASA astronauts into space.

Basically reposting what I wrote upthread when I saw these myself at Costco so excuse the redundancy, but the Combat line emerged a decade later in the '60s and like the Airman was a popular PX purchase for guys deployed to Vietnam. While they already made dive watches by this time, in the '80s they folded their dive watches into the Combat line and began producing the Combat SUB, which now has been produced uninterrupted for four decades.

$299 is a freakin' steal for this watch (and for any Swiss diver for that matter), especially considering you're receiving a valid factory warranty card (a nit to me, as I've never had a watch fail under warranty).

On 6/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

And what was your impression? Mine has become a quasi-daily wear, at least until the honeymoon phase wears off - I'll be wearing mine at the Padres-Mets game tomorrow night. :)

It's a great no frills watch. Not a lume monster, and the casework is pedestrian, but a solidly-built watch that feels and looks more expensive than its street price. 

giphy.gif

You will not regret it.

It was a nice looking watch. Definitely looked more that a few hundred dollars. We talked a bit, but he got it for a graduation present and didn't know much about watches. He did love that his second hand "didn't tick" though, lol

Btw, +++++ the Mets! (Braves fan here)

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, Stealthlobo said:

It was a nice looking watch. Definitely looked more that a few hundred dollars. We talked a bit, but he got it for a graduation present and didn't know much about watches. He did love that his second hand "didn't tick" though, lol

Btw, +++++ the Mets! (Braves fan here)

if I could have lol'd and cheered that post I would have. :cheers:

• Cheers 1

Follow-up to last post. Great seats - bonus photos below.

IMG-0672.jpg

Mets' Designated Eater Wayne Kirby:

IMG-0678-2.jpg 

UNLV grad and former Giants slugger Matt the Bat Williams chatting it up with SD native and former Giants/Mets/Padres slugger Kevin Mitchell (gray cap).

IMG-0681.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm loving my Seiko automatic. 

PXL_20220612_033103814.jpg.753d95a03101caeaa31cd723b3b9db4d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:28 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Follow-up to last post. Great seats - bonus photos below.

IMG-0672.jpg

Mets' Designated Eater Wayne Kirby:

IMG-0678-2.jpg 

UNLV grad and former Giants slugger Matt the Bat Williams chatting it up with SD native and former Giants/Mets/Padres slugger Kevin Mitchell (gray cap).

IMG-0681.jpg

Designated eater killed me.

Matt Williams made a genuine run at Maris before the 94 strike.

• Cheers 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

Unfortunately, I do not. When I was hunting down rubber straps at some point in time they were the one to which I kept returning, but I never bought one.

BTW, if you haven't started lurking strap deal threads on WUS or joined MoT's forum for the deals thread(s),you really should consider it - a hundred watch idiot-savants birddogging deals really lends credence to the "two heads are better than one" adage. 

Well I've hunted down every possible path (including contacting the company directly) and have come to the conclusion that you can't find Cinturini straps in odd sizes. Any other high end rubber (smells like vanilla) companies you recommend?

On 6/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Well I've hunted down every possible path (including contacting the company directly) and have come to the conclusion that you can't find Cinturini straps in odd sizes. Any other high end rubber (smells like vanilla) companies you recommend?

I scored a Marathon OEM band that was made from Italian rubber. "Odd sizes" is the problem tho... :hmmm:maybe a more generic "Italian vanilla rubber" search might turn up something that's not NSFW?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I scored a Marathon OEM band that was made from Italian rubber. "Odd sizes" is the problem tho... :hmmm:maybe a more generic "Italian vanilla rubber" search might turn up something that's not NSFW?

Ya, gonna have to do more research ...

On 7/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, Stealthlobo said:

@TheSanDiegan

What are your opinions of Horus straps? They are a lot more expensive, and don't want to be wasting my money on name instead of quality.

Looking at this one:

https://www.horusstraps.com/collections/21mm-lug-width-straps/products/lug-width-21mm-strap-arctic-white-rubber

Idk man. I have no firsthand experience with them, but the watch community seems to be a mixed bag of experiences, including a lost Seamaster (spring bars they supplied failed), poor fit issues (same strap model offered for watches with different requirements), and from what I've read they use 100% silicone.

Seems like crowdsourced feedback tends to lean more towards Zealande, Everest, or RubberB. And I'm a sucker for the Cinturini straps. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 3:18 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Idk man. I have no firsthand experience with them, but the watch community seems to be a mixed bag of experiences, including a lost Seamaster (spring bars they supplied failed), poor fit issues (same strap model offered for watches with different requirements), and from what I've read they use 100% silicone.

Seems like crowdsourced feedback tends to lean more towards Zealande, Everest, or RubberB. And I'm a sucker for the Cinturini straps. 

Wish I could find Cinturini in 21mm. The price is right. I don't think everest, rubber, or zealande make generic straps. Everything I've seen is for a specific watch case, ie Rolex Daytona or Omega speedmaster.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 7:09 AM, RebelAlliance said:

This made me laugh.

6mpj0i.jpg

As much as I laugh, I actually still want a BLNR. I wish GS's GMT was smaller, but it's not and I can't find another GMT that excites me like the Rolex.

Actually went by the AD today to make sure they know I'm still interested.  I have the three "other" watches already purchased from them :ph34r:

On 7/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, Stealthlobo said:

As much as I laugh, I actually still want a BLNR. I wish GS's GMT was smaller, but it's not and I can't find another GMT that excites me like the Rolex.

Actually went by the AD today to make sure they know I'm still interested.  I have the three "other" watches already purchased from them :ph34r:

I went through the same thing.  There are two Rolexes that I actually like: the no-date Sub and the GMT-II.  I just won't play the game for a new one, and decided against buying a used coke bezel (my preference).  I went with the black/white Planet Ocean GMT and couldn't be happier.  The only real negative for me is the thickness, but when you counter that with a far superior movement and the ability to walk into an actual company boutique and walk out with one, it was a pretty easy decision.  Yeah, I'm not going to be able to impress bathroom attendants and potential muggers nearly as much, but I'll live.  Next up is going to be something more subtle though, either an Aqua Terra or the new Seamaster 300.

And I walked past an AD on Oak Street just this afternoon that had the BLNR in the window with a neat little sign next to it that said "exhibition model only,"   The whole thing is a joke.  

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, RebelAlliance said:

I went through the same thing.  There are two Rolexes that I actually like: the no-date Sub and the GMT-II.  I just won't play the game for a new one, and decided against buying a used coke bezel (my preference).  I went with the black/white Planet Ocean GMT and couldn't be happier.  The only real negative for me is the thickness, but when you counter that with a far superior movement and the ability to walk into an actual company boutique and walk out with one, it was a pretty easy decision.  Yeah, I'm not going to be able to impress bathroom attendants and potential muggers nearly as much, but I'll live.  Next up is going to be something more subtle though, either an Aqua Terra or the new Seamaster 300.

And I walked past an AD on Oak Street just this afternoon that had the BLNR in the window with a neat little sign next to it that said "exhibition model only,"   The whole thing is a joke.  

I get you, I got into this hobby at the wrong time. Started really getting excited in time when the new Speedmaster Apollo XIII was announced aka Silver Snoopy. I've been on that list for almost a year and a half now. Sucks wanting something that you can't purchase without paying 3x the MSRP.

Omega is amazing. I'm saving for a Speedmaster for my chronograph ( obviously no longer the snoopy). My gf really wants a Sedna Gold planet ocean, but all their divers are top notch.

Speaking of exhibition, this was the "frozen" BLNR I got to try on about 6 months ago. It just fits me so well due to my smaller wrists. I have to be careful with a lot omegas due to their thickness. And as I mentioned before, that GS GMT is beautiful but a monster.

20220131_135702~3.jpg

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, Stealthlobo said:

I get you, I got into this hobby at the wrong time. Started really getting excited in time when the new Speedmaster Apollo XIII was announced aka Silver Snoopy. I've been on that list for almost a year and a half now. Sucks wanting something that you can't purchase without paying 3x the MSRP.

Omega is amazing. I'm saving for a Speedmaster for my chronograph ( obviously no longer the snoopy). My gf really wants a Sedna Gold planet ocean, but all their divers are top notch.

Speaking of exhibition, this was the "frozen" BLNR I got to try on about 6 months ago. It just fits me so well due to my smaller wrists. I have to be careful with a lot omegas due to their thickness. And as I mentioned before, that GS GMT is beautiful but a monster.

20220131_135702~3.jpg

Here's my PO GMT the day I brought it home.  Love it.  For me, the helium escapement valve and the cyclops window were both negatives, but after having the PO for a couple of years now, I no longer even notice the He valve, but I think the damned cyclops would be noticeable every single time I looked at it.  43mm is fine on my 7 1/4 wrist, though the 17mm thickness will always be there.  The phone camera makes it look a lot larger on my wrist than it really is.

HPaHle.jpg

The new Blue Snoopy is a bit of a weird one.  It was supposed to be a regular edition, but the crypto freaks glommed onto it because of the "too the moon" metaphor which caused the crazy aftermarket surge.  I think, as they all sink back down into bankruptcy, it might be a bit easier to get.

• Cheers 2