Stealthlobo

Watches

38 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Yeah I'm still planning it all out in my head.  Stuck on the dimensions for each part, I'll buy some watch pillows thanks for the suggestion.  I've got a bunch of leftover african mahogony and padouk to make the box with.  Was thinking of using box joints and having it look a little like this.
image.png.4c5b400c2c44e601426a51512d038989.png

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Your FIL is lucky to have you in his family.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Yeah I'm still planning it all out in my head.  Stuck on the dimensions for each part, I'll buy some watch pillows thanks for the suggestion.  I've got a bunch of leftover african mahogony and padouk to make the box with.  Was thinking of using box joints and having it look a little like this.
image.png.4c5b400c2c44e601426a51512d038989.png

Make one with expanding multiple trays like a tackle box and you'd have San Diegan's business. One box isn't enough for all his watches. I'd probably get one too. Good looking box.

• Like 1

Just now, NMpackalum said:

Make one with expanding multiple trays like a tackle box and you'd have San Diegan's business. One box isn't enough for all his watches. I'd probably get one too. Good looking box.

lol yeah if they get too big then I don't think they look as cool.  I've seen some big ones larger than a huge chess board.  Not sure where you would store it

Eventually, I want to get a bit of a better quality strap for this watch but I think it will work for now. I really like this watch the more I've worn it - minimalist style, domed crystal. Love the little Saturn logo as part of the Enicar brand. 

If anyone has a suggestion for a better strap, let me know. 

20211007_202231.jpg

20211007_202439.jpg

20211007_202511.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Eventually, I want to get a bit of a better quality strap for this watch but I think it will work for now. I really like this watch the more I've worn it - minimalist style, domed crystal. Love the little Saturn logo as part of the Enicar brand. 

20211007_202231.jpg

20211007_202439.jpg

20211007_202511.jpg

I can't tell if it's the lighting or not, even after looking back at previous pics, but is your case and clasp steel or gold?

48 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I can't tell if it's the lighting or not, even after looking back at previous pics, but is your case and clasp steel or gold?

Its gold colored. But I believe its steel. The clasp is gold colored steel cuz i just got it to replace the original one, which is all ratty and is a weird stretch design.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

59 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Its gold colored. But I believe its steel. The clasp is gold colored steel cuz i just got it to replace the original one, which is all ratty and is a weird stretch design.

Ok cool. The only straps I've used so far is monstraps. They have some inexpensive leather style ones i believe with gold cored clasps. There was another site I was looking at a few months ago that had some really nice leather ones, but I can't find it in my history. If I do remember, I'll share it here too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

20211007_202231.jpg

20211007_202439.jpg

20211007_202511.jpg

I tend to skew traditionalist with vintage watch straps. If I was in your shoes, I'd hunt for an old copy of an ad somewhere online to see what kind of strap was provided with the watch. That being said, I'm a fan of the vintage stitch style and IMO that strap with the contrast stitching is a good fit for that watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

Ok cool. The only straps I've used so far is monstraps. They have some inexpensive leather style ones i believe with gold cored clasps. There was another site I was looking at a few months ago that had some really nice leather ones, but I can't find it in my history. If I do remember, I'll share it here too.

OOOH, I took a quick look on their site and I really like some of those. I may actually try to use them to find a strap for my Gallet. @TheSanDiegan posted a link here for basically the same watch on sale from Hodiknee and the strap was super sharp. It's $165, which I'm willing to pay for a watch like that but if I can find a high quality light gray leather strap for under $100 I want to go for it. So I may spend some time on Monstraps to see if I can find one that will fit well with it. Any other good strap sites are appreciated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I tend to skew traditionalist with vintage watch straps. If I was in your shoes, I'd hunt for an old copy of an ad somewhere online to see what kind of strap was provided with the watch. That being said, I'm a fan of the vintage stitch style and IMO that strap with the contrast stitching is a good fit for that watch.

Checking out old ads... that's a great idea. I should have thought of it... I literally browse old newspapers day in and day out right now. 

One of the things that's been really cool about this watch is learning about the Enicar brand - swiss made, mid century. The space-age branding is pretty cool too - they called  their automatics "ultrasonic" and have planets and rockets on their watches. Also, apparently they made a line of divers called the Sherpa that is pretty highly collectable for vintage watch people today. Mine is in the Seapearl line, which are not as collectable but still go for a couple to few hundred bucks and are generally pretty good examples of watches from the 50's 60's and early 70s.

I'm gonna try to find some old Enicar ads and see if I can find a strap style that I can emulate down the line. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

OOOH, I took a quick look on their site and I really like some of those. I may actually try to use them to find a strap for my Gallet. @TheSanDiegan posted a link here for basically the same watch on sale from Hodiknee and the strap was super sharp. It's $165, which I'm willing to pay for a watch like that but if I can find a high quality light gray leather strap for under $100 I want to go for it. So I may spend some time on Monstraps to see if I can find one that will fit well with it. Any other good strap sites are appreciated.

Bookmark the following:

https://www.watchgecko.com

https://www.crownandbuckle.com

https://www.bandrbands.com

Also, there is an Illinois tannery called Lake House Leathers who hand makes their straps in (very) small volume from Horween-sourced leather. I have a few of theirs from when they would offer their straps on (Mass)Drop, but cannot find where they are selling their stuff now. Worth keeping an eye out for though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Checking out old ads... that's a great idea. I should have thought of it... I literally browse old newspapers day in and day out right now. 

One of the things that's been really cool about this watch is learning about the Enicar brand - swiss made, mid century. The space-age branding is pretty cool too - they called  their automatics "ultrasonic" and have planets and rockets on their watches. Also, apparently they made a line of divers called the Sherpa that is pretty highly collectable for vintage watch people today. Mine is in the Seapearl line, which are not as collectable but still go for a couple to few hundred bucks and are generally pretty good examples of watches from the 50's 60's and early 70s.

I'm gonna try to find some old Enicar ads and see if I can find a strap style that I can emulate down the line. 

Dude I've been lusting for/buying/wearing nice watches for over 30 years and that's the first I've ever heard of them. I'm always stoked to learn of a "new" brand and their respective place in the history of horology. I dig on exclusivity, and that watch is a great example of mid-century style, and how rare and exclusive does not have to cost a small fortune. Furthermore, I can 100% appreciate the personal connection. Wear it with pride. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Found it. This was the site recommended to me for higher quality leather if you're interested:

https://www.hirschstraps.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

Found it. This was the site recommended to me for higher quality leather if you're interested:

https://www.hirschstraps.com/

Hirsch are well known and generally good straps (I have a few); I believe they are the OEM supplier for a few of the "big names." But in my experience the more recent dedicated strap and bracelet suppliers tend to offer products of quality every bit as good if not better (e.g., better stitching, especially on the flaps) than their branded straps with a higher QPR. 

If I were focused simply on quality and coolness over QPR,  I would choose almost any of the small artisanal makers over Hirsch as well. Martu comes to mind - she will make a custom strap just for you for less than the retail price of a higher end mass production strap. While I've never ordered one myself, I've never read a review where the purchaser did not consider their Martu to be worth the wait. 

For mass production straps, in addition to Hirsch, I would also recommend checking our Hadley Roma. There are NOS exotic Hadley Roma straps out there that can be had for less than $30 from gray market retailers that were priced at or above $200 in stores. And as a bonus, they're made here in the good 'ol USA. I'm guessing the watch strap is 18mm wide (at the lugs)? If so, here's a black crocodile strap that can be had for $30:

hadley-roma-18-mm-shiny-black-crocodile-

24 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hirsch are well known and generally good straps (I have a few), but in my experience the more recent dedicated strap and bracelet suppliers tend to offer products of as good if not better quality (e.g., better stitching, especially on the flaps) with a higher QPR. 

If I were focused simply on quality and coolness over QPR,  I would choose almost any of the small artisanal makers over Hirsch as well. Martu comes to mind - she will make a custom strap just for you for less than the retail price of a higher end mass production strap. While I've never ordered one myself, I've never read a review where the purchaser did not consider their Martu to be worth the wait. 

For mass production straps, in addition to Hirsch, I would also recommend checking our Hadley Roma. There are NOS exotic Hadley Roma straps out there that can be had for less than $30 from gray market retailers that were priced at or above $200 in stores. And as a bonus, they're made here in the good 'ol USA. I'm guessing the watch strap is 18mm wide (at the lugs)? If so, here's a black crocodile strap that can be had for $30:

hadley-roma-18-mm-shiny-black-crocodile-

Good to know! I want to get a new leather one for the GS.

Also, I just bought a new watch already discussed earlier in this thread. Should have it in hand middle of next week. I'll put pics up when I pick it up =)

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Good to know! I want to get a new leather one for the GS.

Also, I just bought a new watch already discussed earlier in this thread. Should have it in hand middle of next week. I'll put pics up when I pick it up =)

For shits and giggles I would pick up discounted exotic straps on spec, as a $30 watch strap is cheaper than a $3000 watch. It turns out that logic only holds for the first 99 straps. :ph34r:

• Haha 1