Stealthlobo

Watches

9 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

Thanks for all of the info and recommendations.  For the sport watches I like the last three.  I would probably choose between the Longines and the Ball, and pair it with the black Junghans Max Bill dress watch.  I also like the Seiko Presage shown upthread for a dress watch.  Are sport chronograph watches less versatile?

Not less versatile per say, but they generally have lower WR and the chrono pushers can't be actuated underwater, and the additional complication of a chronograph module or movement (on automatics) usually knocks the price up a few pegs.

Are you cool with quartz and/or solar powered movements? If so there are some good watches worth exploring in the sub-$500 category and for as little as $200.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I tried on the Zenith today. Damn, what a stunning timepiece. The movement is absolutely gorgeous. Im going to give a good amount of time for the Snoopy, but if that falls through, this is definitely at the top of the list.

PXL_20210604_175811558~2.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Are you cool with quartz and/or solar powered movements? If so there are some good watches worth exploring in the sub-$500 category and for as little as $200.

I would prefer not to.  I was looking at these the other night.  The Citizen Chandler would have been an option for $220.  Link

Chandler.png?u=41zuoe&crop=false&positio

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

I tried on the Zenith today. Damn, what a stunning timepiece. The movement is absolutely gorgeous. Im going to give a good amount of time for the Snoopy, but if that falls through, this is definitely at the top of the list.

PXL_20210604_175811558~2.jpg

I apologize for being an enabler. I like it over the snoopy actually.

14 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

With the Zenith, you're buying the movement. With the  Speedy, you're buying the watch.

The El Primero is one of the most exquisite factory movements ever made and is historical in its own right.

But with the Speedy, you're not just buying an iconic watch, you're buying Omega's horological heritage (arguably second to none) and the history of one of only two watches to be worn by American astronauts on the surface of the moon.

I've never really vibed with the aesthetics of Zenith's casework. IMO this watch should have a tachymeter - it is too sports watch to be a dress watch. I'm not sure wtf that bezel is telling me or why. IMO it simply adds a visual affectation  - unnecessary and superfluous - where it could add functionality in the tachy. And that 4 o'clock date window... I have them on several watches, but not really a "plus" in my book - it is the one distinguishing feature that kept me from pulling the trigger on that Ball Hydrocarbon from some pages back. 

55 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

With the Zenith, you're buying the movement. With the  Speedy, you're buying the watch.

The El Primero is one of the most exquisite factory movements ever made and is historical in its own right.

But with the Speedy, you're not just buying an iconic watch, you're buying Omega's horological heritage (arguably second to none) and the history of one of only two watches to be worn by American astronauts on the surface of the moon.

I've never really vibed with the aesthetics of Zenith's casework. IMO this watch should have a tachymeter - it is too sports watch to be a dress watch. I'm not sure wtf that bezel is telling me or why. IMO it simply adds a visual affectation  - unnecessary and superfluous - where it could add functionality in the tachy. And that 4 o'clock date window... I have them on several watches, but not really a "plus" in my book - it is the one distinguishing feature that kept me from pulling the trigger on that Ball Hydrocarbon from some pages back. 

You’re right about the visual affectation. I just think it’s good looking. I have my Omega fix with the sea master diver 300. The Snoopy part doesn’t do it for me. I prefer the Speedmaster 1957s tbh. Or I would stick with the traditional moonwatch. I’m probably going to get the Tudor GMT Pepsi next. On another note, I pulled the trigger on a 2017 Jag F type S. You summarized my feelings about it earlier in this thread that left nothing else to be said.

• Cheers 2

On 1/21/2021 at 9:06 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Any watch enthusiasts here? Im pretty new to the game and have a quartz Movado. Just purchased my first automatic, a Hamilton. And looking at a Tudor now.... Any connoisseurs advice?

I went back to re-read this thread.  Your original post definitely made me smile.  It feels like we might be at halftime at this point. Outside of a proposal, this has to be one of your most expensive questions asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I'm glad you brought it up. I was interested months ago but it had fallen off my radar before your mention of it and I'm glad I got to see it in person.

The Snoopy is getting more a more likely to just live in a safe as a collectors item if I ever get one due to the rediculousness of demand. I would also like to have a less expensive Moonwatch for a daily wearer at some pt like a cal 1861 or maybe a FOIS.

1 hour ago, bitteraztec said:

I went back to re-read this thread.  Your original post definitely made me smile.  It feels like we might be at halftime at this point. Outside of a proposal, this has to be one of your most expensive questions asked.

Lol! You're telling me! A lot of that is Covid's fault too. Most of my big purchased these last 10 years have all been travel related and obviously I couldn't do that this last year. So I thought why not ask the board about something that always interested me but didn't have money before - watches? Definitely an expensive question!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

You’re right about the visual affectation. I just think it’s good looking. I have my Omega fix with the sea master diver 300. The Snoopy part doesn’t do it for me. I prefer the Speedmaster 1957s tbh. Or I would stick with the traditional moonwatch. I’m probably going to get the Tudor GMT Pepsi next. On another note, I pulled the trigger on a 2017 Jag F type S. You summarized my feelings about it earlier in this thread that left nothing else to be said.

The sea master diver 300 is drop dead gorgeous. I especially like the white dial. *Sigh* another possible purchase....

And congrats on the jag! I'm sure you're going to really enjoy it :cheers:

13 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

@TheSanDiegan

I would probably buy this one for $900 if I was going to purchase right now.  Nordstrom’s Rack has Hamilton’s 50% off. 

Link

7ce214a3-1aa9-49fe-9c44-b688a96f9ddb.jpe

$900 is a fair price for a Hammy chromo. And that's a nice looking watch, though the lack of a tachymeter kind of neuters its chrono functionality somewhat as a sports watch.

If you're interested, Joma has that same model with an ivory dial on a bracelet for $765:

https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/fde19e4197824625333be074956e7640/h/a/hamilton-khaki-pilot-pioneer-chronograph-ivory-dial-stainless-steel-mens-watch-h76416155.jpg?width=546&height=546

If you like the ivory dial, you can always get a solid NATO for <$20 and keep the bracelet boxed should you choose to sell the watch downstream.

You guys are insane!

I have one entire watch, which at least has a little skeleton action.

Watch.jpgWatch 2.jpg

Some of you need to check into an incredibly seedy anonymous support group for your addictions!!

• Like 1

New-Signature.jpg

40 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

You guys are insane!

Watch.jpgWatch 2.jpg

Some of you need to check into an incredibly seedy anonymous support group for your addictions!!

I thought this was the incredibly seedy support group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

You guys are insane!

Watch.jpgWatch 2.jpg

That's a nice looking watch! The open heart is classy looking, giving it almost a tourbillion look. I like your case back too. Seiko makes great movements

Here's my spring drive case back:

PXL_20210606_170023328.jpg

Added a couple to my watch box this week. The first is the Citizen Eco-Drive High Tech Machine (HTM) Model. All Eco-Drives are solar powered. I love the sporty yet, dressy look of it. Black dial with gray numerals, indices and hands. I like the elongated date window at three o'clock.

The second watch, I bought as a birthday gift to myself. Just look at it and look at my screen name. That should be self explanatory. I love the look and feel. It will be worn heavily during the fall. All Spartan and L.A. Rams game days.

It is a Casio Core (diver inspired) model. While I'm not a big fan of chronographers, I really like the day/date complications. The gold/sol small hands, the blue/royal dial, and the white/bone big hands all look nice together. The bezel also adds to it.

The HTM alone retails for $250-300. I got both for under $200! Yay!! These are the last watches I am adding to my collection, for now. Until black Friday/cyber Monday weekend. (Unless l find a spectacular deal on a dress watch.)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

I may have found my Citizen and Seiko AD. I was talking with the owner about my next purchase(s), 5 Sport and Presage. He brought up Seiko's limited edition "sushi (sashimi) roll" automatic. It's in collaboration with Evisen skateboards. I looked it up and they are collaborating on three design. I like the Kabuto and skateboard designs. I do not like the "sushi roll" model. Apparently he already has pre-orders for the "sushi roll" model.

https://soranews24.com/2021/04/10/japanese-watch-brand-seiko-collabs-with-evisen-skateboards-surprises-watch-and-sushi-lovers/

On 6/6/2021 at 11:02 AM, Stealthlobo said:

That's a nice looking watch! The open heart is classy looking, giving it almost a tourbillion look. I like your case back too. Seiko makes great movements

Here's my spring drive case back:

PXL_20210606_170023328.jpg

Thank you; I like it.

Made it Japan. 

There are worse locations for manufacturing of products.

This entire thread reminds me of Tik-Tok Tale:

I believe my Father vainly attempted to advise me that something like my great-great, grandfather, or thereabouts was responsible for constructing the first wooden clock, or thereabouts.

FWIW, it was something of note for the time.

Keep it going, you guys.

I couldn't find myself handling such delicate pieces in the watch compartment.

However, I do know this: should you experience any issues with your watch, my recommendation would be to take it to a very good professional, who knows what he's doing.  Ira at the Time-Keeper.   A little one man show, and this guy is awesome!

https://www.yellowpages.com/eagle-id/mip/timekeeper-watch-repair-452381988

Best,

• Like 1

New-Signature.jpg