Stealthlobo

Watches

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Ooh, I'm liking that Le Locle. I also have my eyes on a Hamilton Jazzmaster as well, if I can sneak that one past the wife anyway. ;) 

https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h38525541.html

The hamilton's are nice. I kinda regret selling my jazzmaster, but i think the open heart version was a little too much. I really like their chronograph, especially the panda colors.

h38416711~2.jpg

• Like 2

The Certina arrived yesterday. It's maybe the sixth watch I've bought from Jomashop over the years, and every experience as been exactly the same - a flawless watch arrives within a few days after purchase.

Certina, like Hamilton, Tissot, and Mido, is part of the Swatch Group. However, while you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without shedding fur on a dozen Hammys and Tissots, there are exactly zero ADs for Certina stateside. Certina fills the same QPR tier as Hamilton, so it would be senseless to have them competing against each other in the same market. However, Certina is widely popular in Europe and firmly entrenched in the sports watch space due to their active involvement in diving and motorsports (my draw).

I like the fact it's not ubiquitous here as its cousins are, and when Certina watches do find their way to our shores, it is through gray market clearing houses which mean we get sweetheart deals. This watch retails at $660, and I can guarantee one would be hard pressed to find it for 3X what I paid here.

Anyway, on to the watch...

I was eyeballing this a few years ago, when it was priced about 10% higher than it is now when on sale. This was $139, $144 delivered after tax with promo code applied - a steal IMO.

Solid packaging, and a couple pleasant surprises - the sapphire crystal is domed (it's flat on my other Certina diver), and it came with a deployment clasp, a considerable upgrade over the standard pin buckle you see on straps.

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3129.jpg

• Like 2

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

8 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The Certina arrived yesterday. It's maybe the sixth watch I've bought from Jomashop over the years, and every experience as been exactly the same - a flawless watch arrives within a few days after purchase.

Certina, like Hamilton, Tissot, and Mido, is part of the Swatch Group. However, while you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without shedding fur on a dozen Hammys and Tissots, there are exactly zero ADs for Certina stateside. Certina fills the same QPR tier as Hamilton, so it would be senseless to have them competing against each other in the same market. However, Certina is widely popular in Europe and firmly entrenched in the sports watch space due to their active involvement in diving and motorsports (my draw).

I like the fact it's not ubiquitous here as its cousins are, and when Certina watches do find their way to our shores, it is through gray market clearing houses which mean we get sweetheart deals. This watch retails at $660, and I can guarantee one would be hard pressed to find it for 3X what I paid here.

Anyway, on to the watch...

I was eyeballing this a few years ago, when it was priced about 10% higher than it is now when on sale. This was $139, $144 delivered after tax with promo code applied - a steal IMO.

Solid packaging, and a couple pleasant surprises - the sapphire crystal is domed (it's flat on my other Certina diver), and it came with a deployment buckle, a considerable upgrade over the standard pin buckle you see on straps.

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3129.jpg

Wow, Sapphire crystal for under $200. Definitely a steak! I'm not a fan of the white strap, but the watch is beautiful!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Wow, Sapphire crystal for under $200. Definitely a steak! I'm not a fan of the white strap, but the watch is beautiful!

Even more impressive is the fact it is domed - the curved plano lens cost more to produce than a flat crystal. Curved sapphire + ceramic bezel + 200m WR + Swiss brand with heritage = a lot of watch for $144.

It's a 120-click bezel, but the action is shit compared to anything above $1,000, as well as some watches below - the bezel action in the Prospex line is better by a country mile. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Amazing weather on the patio. Decided to take a Lume photo

PXL_20210402_015528528.PORTRAIT.jpg

That lume is bomb. It really helps you appreciate the vintage classic styling of the BB. 

Dude, I know you have exactly zero regrets buying that watch. And I'm guessing the longer you wear it, the less inclined you'll be to buy a Rolex... The BB will become your baseline for assessing the QPR of future potential watch purchases.

I can't tell you how many times the "I'll never dig on Y as much as I dig on X especially when Y costs 2X" argument has resulted in pivoting away from a watch I thought I wanted. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That lume is bomb. It really helps you appreciate the vintage classic styling of the BB. 

Dude, I know you have exactly zero regrets buying that watch. And I'm guessing the longer you wear it, the less inclined you'll be to buy a Rolex... The BB will become your baseline for assessing the QPR of future potential watch purchases.

I can't tell you how many times the "I'll never dig on Y as much as I dig on X especially when Y costs 2X" argument has resulted in pivoting away from a watch I thought I wanted. 

Truth. If I was offered a Submariner for it, I would sell the sub and buy the BB58 again having extra cash on hand.

I'm stopping by the AD this afternoon to pick up my NATO strap and also going to try on a few Grand Seikos finally. The weather or work has postponed me going in for awhile and I'm finally excited to see those GSs up close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

I don't know anything about Benrus except that their watches seem to look nice. In any event, they have their Heritage collection on sale for 60% off right now.

https://www.benrus.com/collections/heritage

This Air Chief Chronograph is pretty tempting.

6RgfG3o.png

Good looking watch. Sounds like they are a phoenix brand. Apparently they were a major player in the domestic industry, second in volume only to Hamilton before the quartz crisis killed them in the 70s. New ownership, with a relaunch last year (2020) just in time for their 100th anniversary this year. Their roots, like Hamilton, are in military watches.

Couple other thoughts - 316L is a good steel and industry standard, which tells me their primary focus wasn't cost reduction. And 41mm is a sweet spot size. However, the mineral crystal will be more prone to scratching that a sapphire crystal would, and this might be an issue as the crystal is "double domed" according to the specs on the website.

At first I wanted to mention the lack of a tachymeter, but upon looking at a few photos of their vintage chronos, they were absent them as well, so it would seem this is consistent in paying homage/staying close to the original. 

Just got done with Hydepark. The NATO strap is amazing. So comfortable and ready to take into the ocean!

Tried on about 8 grand Seikos including the Birch! Such a beautiful piece but out of my price range unfortunately. Definitely decided on the skyflake though. The gf agrees it fits me perfect and it's so gorgeous in real life. I'm gonna wait till after the 7th in case a new announced watch catches my fancy, and pull the trigger then if not.

Here's the Birch:

PXL_20210402_220629937~2.jpg

• Cheers 1

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

54 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I'm definitely getting the watch bug! Damn this expensive hobby lol. Decided to pull the trigger on the skyflake. Gonna be picking it up tomorrow!

0cfsruvvuba51.jpg

Conngrats, Stealth! :cheers: Those are two watches that are heirloom quality. Take good care of them and they will outlive you by a generation or two.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Conngrats, Stealth! :cheers: Those are two watches that are heirloom quality. Take good care of them and they will outlive you by a generation or two.

Thanks! I'm super excited about these 'cornerstone' watches. Thanks again for all the help and advice

On 4/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Any watches announced today catch anyone's eye? I really like Tudor's New panda chrono, and the gold/green version of my watch looks sick!

tudor-m79018v-0001.jpg

That thing screams TCSUF.

• Haha 1