Stealthlobo

Watches

6 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Skagen: You drive a used but well loved Volvo. While you know nothing about watches, you found it cumbersome to check your dumb phone for the time, and began your search for something practical but affordable. As you know the quickest shortcut to get to the cafeteria at your local IKEA - where you get the meatballs weekly - an ostensibly Danish watch held some appeal. You are unaware that Denmark 

Yep, that bolded part sounds like me.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Skagen: You drive a used but well loved Volvo. While you know nothing about watches, you found it cumbersome to check your dumb phone for the time, and began your search for something practical but affordable. As you know the quickest shortcut to get to the cafeteria at your local IKEA - where you get the meatballs weekly - an ostensibly Danish watch held some appeal. You are unaware that Denmark 

Heh, that's awesome

Here's my Tudor:

Tudor: You assert that the Black Bay 58 is what Rolex “used to be”. You take pride in the quality of the bezel on your Pelagos. You either never will admit, or say all the time, that you wish you had a Rolex.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

That's awesome! All 3 of mine are crazy accurate. I only have 2 now, never wear either one.

I have a Skagen, and used to have a used Volvo, now a used Audi.

Movado: You are either a 21 year old man wearing a Movado Bold at the club, or an 83 year old gentlemen wearing an original Museum piece. There is no middle ground.

Gave my Movado to my son, he's 21.

Tag Heuer: Your first “real” watch was a Link, which you initially saw in the pages of Golf Digest/Tennis Magazine. For the longest time, you had a crush on Maria Sharapova. The chip on your shoulder is slightly lessened when you see photos of vintage Carreras online.

I mean come on, who doesn't like Maria Sharapova and old Porsches? :shrug:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Ha. And here I thought I knew myself.

Ball: As you walk through your LED lit hallway, down the stairs illuminated by motion sensing flood lamps, and towards your basement model train table outfitted with 3000 Lumen overhead halogen bulbs, you’re gladly reassured by your watch's Tritium lume - for the brief second it takes to find the switch.

Bulova: You are either a middle-aged man obsessively collecting the 1970's Accutrons of your youth, or you picked this up from the jewelry counter at Kohl's - with a coupon.

Certina: You are the 33-year old manager of a Coop supermarket outside of Davos, Switzerland. While you believe fancy watches are for tourists, your Powermatic was listed “Uhren 50% Rabatt!” and looks pretty sweet.

Concord: The year is 1986. While all the other middle-managers are celebrating their promotions with Trans Ams, women, or Rolexs, you chose the Concord Saratoga. Placing the leftover cash into Lincoln Savings and Loan bonds and a custom suit with serious shoulder pads, you choose to invest in things that last.

Ebel: Fresh out of law school, you just got your first associate-level job at a big firm. You wanted something pretty but professional to wear to work. You are confused as to why on dates, men excitedly ask to see your watch, then get close, look disappointed, and say ”oh…an Ebel...”.

Eterna: Your KonTiki was a Jomashop 75% off gamble. You have since become a fanboy, going so far as to grow a beard and voraciously reading  Thor Heyerdahl's memoirs. You will order a nature survival kit, tent, and water purification pills online before you lose all interest and snuggle back up to your PS4.

G-Shock: You are a junior in college, or an emergency room physician. You delight in taking your G-Shock to watch meet-ups, to the horror of the traditionalists. You recently took up mountain biking just to post Instagram photos of your watch on the trails.

Glycine: You’ve outgrown the flashy Invicta's of your youth, but are still hesitant to go smaller than 46mm in a watch. Secretly, the vaguely military associations of your Combat Sub mildly arouse you. If he were alive to see it, Eugène Meylan would throw an egg at your face.

Hamilton: You recently graduated college. You spent hours on the watch forums, debating between this or a Longines. You finally settled on the Jazzmaster/Khaki, though the salesman couldn't tell you anything about it. The highlight of your life was when a random woman on a date said, “nice watch”. You almost married her.

Longines: You just got your first job out of college. You are looking for something classy and professional to go along with your first real suit. You will one day own a JLC.

Luminox: You constantly talk about “doing an Ironman”. You sleep in a Naval Academy t-shirt and proudly fly the “thin blue line" US flag on your porch. You make vague allusions to former service when asked, but secretly, you were only a mall cop in the 90’s.

Oris: You are frequently found on watch forums, starting, “Why buy an Omega when you can get virtually the same quality for half the cost?” You think the Sixty Five is exactly what your grandfather would’ve worn - if he was cooler, and not a rural school teacher from Iowa. You are secretly trying to save for a Rolex Sub, but need the cash for your PADI training.

Omega: You are intimately familiar with all 12 manned Apollo missions. You eagerly anticipate the next James Bond film. You refer to your Seamaster as “the thinking man’s Sub, with a better movement”. Bonus points if you know who George Daniels is.

Orient: You are a senior in high school. You love your Bambino, but as you know watches, you don’t claim it’s equivalent to something more expensive. You dream of winning the lottery. You are pure.

Seiko: You are starting college this Fall. You spend most days on watch forums, hoping to find newbies asking for help so that you can steer them your way. You think the Seiko 5 is the best value per dollar in horology. Deep down, you know that if you ever won the lottery, you’d trash them all for a stable of platinum Langes.

Zodiac/Doxa: You are a certified Master Scuba Diver Trainer. You smile indulgently at your wealthy tourist clients, who have Submariners and Fifty Fathoms on their wrist. After you've been tipped, you love nothing better than to hand over your SeaWolf/Shark for inspection, casually stating "This baby's been down to 250 feet, no problems. How about yours?"

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Congratulations on the new watch! ;)

Not quite... I'm still at odds with everything I listed when I first posted it. Furthermore, when I ask myself under what conditions I would be wearing it and with which suits and sportcoats I'd be paring it, there is always a "better" choice already in my possession. And if it's not getting time on my wrist, why buy it?

The answer is a) it looks cool, b) it has heritage, and c) it's a novel application of an uncommon complication, which would be sufficient if I knew I would be wearing it, but my experience tells me it would not be sufficient if I was not. 

The only planned prospective purchases at this point over the year are my red bezel BB, my ceramic bezel Sub, and/or possibly a (Ball) Hydrobcarbon. I've been eyeballing this one since you started the thread:

ball-engineer-hydrocarbon-airborne-autom

Great watch but also a good example of a 4 o'clock date window that is disruptive to the overall design IMO - the one sticking point that has kept me from pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Teddy Baldassarre's new video was at the AD I bought my BB58 at, and my same sales associate! Great stuff.

Can't argue with those choices. And that sales associate is 18K gold - he not only knows his stuff, but you get a sense of his passion for horology. You were in good hands.

My only beef with these videos is they're the duck-faced hawt chick Instagram posts of the watch world - IMO you have to be pretty close to having FU money to go Brewster's Millions and spend $30K in 30 minutes to build a collection from scratch. And in that regard I think they likely fuel as much watch snobbery and douchebaggery as they feed information. No real world consequences (at least without the risk of making value judgements), but over the last 15-20 years I've seen it f*ck up otherwise perfectly good watch fora.

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Can't argue with those choices. And that sales associate is 18K gold - he not only knows his stuff, but you get a sense of his passion for horology. You were in good hands.

My only beef with these videos is they're the duck-faced hawt chick Instagram posts of the watch world - IMO you have to be pretty close to having FU money to go Brewster's Millions and spend $30K in 30 minutes to build a collection from scratch. And in that regard I think they likely fuel as much watch snobbery and douchebaggery as they feed information. No real world consequences (at least without the risk of making value judgements), but over the last 15-20 years I've seen it f*ck up otherwise perfectly good watch fora.

I would love to have that GS skyflake and white dial Seamaster.... 

John was amazing. Its really intimidating going into one of those shops for the first time and he made me feel so comfortable and it was so much fun just seeing his excitement showing me different pieces. Amazing guy for sure. I texted him right after I saw the video and he said Teddy was amazing and he had a lot of fun picking watches with him especially that Tissot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I would love to have that GS skyflake and white dial Seamaster.... 

John was amazing. Its really intimidating going into one of those shops for the first time and he made me feel so comfortable and it was so much fun just seeing his excitement showing me different pieces. Amazing guy for sure. I texted him right after I saw the video and he said Teddy was amazing and he had a lot of fun picking watches with him especially that Tissot.

Since watching that I've given some thought as to what (if anything) I would have done differently if building a 5-watch collection from scratch on the same budget. It's like f*ck marry kill.

I would have likely opted for a Sub over the Seamaster, added the Speedy, kept the JLC (as a dress/complication watch), opted for the Ball as an everyday/office watch, and added a beater diver, likely a Seiko. Or, as an alternative, opted for an Altiplano in lieu of the JLC.

A note on the Ball shown in the video... that is the Fireman, which has the fit, finish, and feel of a $5K watch bracelet. Ball might make what is quite possibly the best bracelets in the business. I have posted upthread a photo of my own SE Fireman, and I have worn it to a number of high-profile meetings where it more than holds its own in a boardroom setting.

• Like 1

Vacillating from lux back to value, this is a steal for anyone looking to pick up an inexpensive watch from a solid watch maker.  The red-tipped hand is a GMT hand, which allows you to read time from a second time zone on a 24-hour clock. 

Alpina has front range cred. The watch originally retailed for $595 but is available on Amazon for $145. 

alpina-startimer-pilot-gmt-black-dial-gr

8 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

He picked every watch I've mentioned on this thread. I don't know who is channeling who.

I'm going to call foul. For shits and giggles I checked back and failed to see any mention of the JLC or the vintage Tissot. :ph34r:

Also, please post some pics of the new Nomos. Help Stealth push me over the edge and buy another watch I don't need.

One more for consideration for those newly considering a dress watch. This Rado puts off a cool Carl F. Bucherer vibe infused with buttloads of vintage goodness. And the blue sunburst dial is a thing of beauty. If you have a Nordstrom account, you can get $250 back in company store money for this, bringing the net cost down to $850.

098e0f89-1bfc-47ba-bd4d-6f41c5fb41de.jpe

Screen-Shot-2021-02-28-at-11-30-56-PM.pn

Link

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm going to call foul. For shits and giggles I checked back and failed to see any mention of the JLC or the vintage Tissot. :ph34r:

Also, please post some pics of the new Nomos. Help Stealth push me over the edge and buy another watch I don't need.

I mentioned the JLC Reverso somewhere on the thread. I ran out of time to watch the last watch he picked so I didn’t see the Tissot. I meant that he highlighted every watch I mentioned. I have no experience with Tissot. Honestly, I’ve always thought of Tissot as a fashion brand. Your breadth of knowledge is impressive and way more in depth than mine though. I’ll post the Nomos when I have a chance. As an aside, I’ve been bidding on some watches on the Live Auction sites. Waste of time. People bid higher on those watches than you can get on eBay chrono24 or some of the grey market sites. There was Stealth Lobos’ almost Black Bay bronze that went for about 500 more than retail and a speedmaster 57 that went for 2000 more than one on eBay. Must be the excitement of the chase in an auction.

13 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

I mentioned the JLC Reverso somewhere on the thread. I ran out of time to watch the last watch he picked so I didn’t see the Tissot. I meant that he highlighted every watch I mentioned. I have no experience with Tissot. Honestly, I’ve always thought of Tissot as a fashion brand. Your breadth of knowledge is impressive and way more in depth than mine though. I’ll post the Nomos when I have a chance. As an aside, I’ve been bidding on some watches on the Live Auction sites. Waste of time. People bid higher on those watches than you can get on eBay chrono24 or some of the grey market sites. There was Stealth Lobos’ almost Black Bay bronze that went for about 500 more than retail and a speedmaster 57 that went for 2000 more than one on eBay. Must be the excitement of the chase in an auction.

Internet auctions destroyed the auction game (from the bidder's perspective). Internet bidders are like the guy sitting in the 1-seat at the blackjack table hitting every time the dealer has a 6 showing.

Re: the JLC, you may have mentioned the Reverso but that's not what he chose. :shrug: I tend to share your assessment somewhat of Tissot, which probably isn't entirely fair to them considering they've been in the game for nearly 170 years, even if they target the value end of the spectrum. I would wear that vintage chrono in a heartbeat tho.

• Like 1

@TheSanDiegan

Got my strap. Thanks for the suggestion.

20210301_145541.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.