Stealthlobo

Watches

1 hour ago, BYUcougfan said:

This is the most dangerous thread I can ever remember seeing on the MWC board.  Cars and watches.  Just add ties and you will have the BYUcougfan trifecta of what he wastes his money on.

Kiton or Marinella? Brioni or Borrelli? I figure you can have both or all of the above, but in the end your tastes are going to skew towards one or the other... I have about 40 ties on my carousel (though I haven't worn one since the pandemic).

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Kiton or Marinella? Brioni or Borrelli? I figure you can have both or all of the above, but in the end your tastes are going to skew towards one or the other... I have about 40 ties on my carousel (though I haven't worn one since the pandemic).

Are you a true wine sommelier as well? A worldly man you are. I have about 40 or 50 ties as well but nothing as fancy as your list, I’m exposed to too much body fluids at work.

But I did test drive a Jag F type R a couple of weeks ago. That’s my grail car for when my single Bitcoin hits a 100k.

5 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

This is the most dangerous thread I can ever remember seeing on the MWC board.  Cars and watches.  Just add ties and you will have the BYUcougfan trifecta of what he wastes his money on.

Cars, etoh, and travel have been my dangers, and now I've succumbed to watches as well...

I could go on about Porsche. I actually was very serious about trading my 996 turbo for a GT4 last month, but think I'll hang on for a bit longer as their value is increasing now.

31 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Are you a true wine sommelier as well? A worldly man you are. I have about 40 or 50 ties as well but nothing as fancy as your list, I’m exposed to too much body fluids at work.

But I did test drive a Jag F type R a couple of weeks ago. That’s my grail car for when my single Bitcoin hits a 100k.

The highest bacteria concentration on an MD is always his/her tie ;).

My buddy owned an f type for awhile and traded it in for a new mid-engine Vette. In my biased (Porsche) opinion I would recommend checking out a used 991 Turbo, a Taycan, or a 992 carrera first.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Ha. No, but thank you. I just happen to be very deliberate in my choice of business attire when I'm in a boardroom, event, or a client-facing engagement. Anyway, I'm guessing about two dozen or so of those forty are top flight ties. The rest are nice as well, but not quite on the level as the others. For instance, I'll take a good grenadine wherever and whenever I can find one.

ETA: The F-Type R is sex on wheels. If I owned one I would probably end up kissing my wife good night and going to the garage to f*ck the car.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

My buddy owned an f type for awhile and traded it in for a new mid-engine Vette. In my biased (Porsche) opinion I would recommend checking out a used 991 Turbo, a Taycan, or a 992 carrera first.

I only wipe my ass with mine in an emergency.

Returning to watches, if you lurk on watch forums you'll see people refer to a watch's "lume." This is in reference to the application of luminous phosphorescent material on watch hands and indices which when exposed to light will glow for some period of time.

Dive watches are best known for having monster lume, so elapsed time may be read at a glance under water. Seiko in particular is well-known for their generous application of their own proprietary lume, though several well-respected microbrands have differentiated themselves in this regard.

There are other solutions for this as well. Both Luminox and Ball are known for their use of tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen with a half-life of 12.5 years which unlike lume never needs to be charged. Ball is the only luxury watch maker to use tritium across their entire line.

Here's my lone Ball (insert jokes here). Behold the beauty of tritium.

Ball4-Upload2.jpg

• Like 1

This is my kind of thread

watch.jpg.4c747749e3baa6418b67a365ea3b7d06.jpg

Not a good pic, I'll find a better one, but it's what I had on my phone at the moment.

The Ball Skylab LE is my baby. Little bit on the big side though

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

8k3esKz.png

2 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

See SanDiegans comment about sex on wheels. That’s how I feel about it.  Porsche is probably the rational choice, but what’s rational about sports cars. I just like looking at the the car.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

This is my kind of thread

watch.jpg.4c747749e3baa6418b67a365ea3b7d06.jpg

Not a good pic, I'll find a better one, but it's what I had on my phone at the moment.

The Ball Skylab LE is my baby. Little bit on the big side though

Beautiful collection! Bonus (boner?) points for the Ball, Legend, Samurai, Speedy Pro, and the SARB065. :cheers:

14 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

For me, it is really about print or woven.  I just don't care much for prints, but I have a few. I have probably around d 60 ties, but most of my favorites are Ermenegildo Zegna or Robert Talbott.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Cars, etoh, and travel have been my dangers, and now I've succumbed to watches as well...

I could go on about Porsche. I actually was very serious about trading my 996 turbo for a GT4 last month, but think I'll hang on for a bit longer as their value is increasing now.

Right now I am a heretic and have a 2018 Panamera.  It was the most fun experience buying a car I have had.  I ordered exactly what I wanted.  The number of options on a Porsche is amazing.

I usually take one big trip a year, but I can't travel in the "wasting my money" category.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Have you seen the Grand Seiko Blue Snowflake "Skyflake"? I might have to scour the used market for one of those.

No I have not. Should I first give my wife my wallet with all my credit cards before I Google it? :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Definitely on brand, that's for sure. Real talk tho? My desire to acquire a GS is based primarily on my belief that they will significantly appreciate in price over time.

And over the last three decades, I've really made the honest effort to chase the watch, not the deal, and truth be told, as much as I appreciate the GS on many levels, there are simply too many other watches that speak to me that - assuming I continue to occasionally add a watch as I have - I would likely add before a Snowflake.