Stealthlobo

Watches

7 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Marriage is what one dealer I know calls it too. I bought a Rolex for my father’s 70 th birthday. I paid for it to be serviced last year and it cost $900. I’ll likely never buy a Rolex because of that and I like to be a little low key. I’ve gone from buying a bunch of low to middle priced value watches to now looking for heirloom type watches that I can leave to my kids or future grandkids. I’ve probably spent over $3000 on those good value watches and they are in a drawer somewhere. I think I’m done after I pick up an IWC Portugueser. Or maybe a Tag Heuer Carrera 1887. I know watch snobs don’t care for Tag but, they are beautiful watches so who cares.

This is why with rare exception I've gravitated towards more common (read: white-labled ETA, Selita, Valjoux, etc) movements. My man crush on the exhibition caseback on my El Primero Concord wore off somewhat with its first service. And God knows wtf the Eterna will cost to service given the low volume production of that movement.

I'd love to learn how to service my own watches someday.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

9 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

However, as you are a man of good taste, I am sure you are going to start considering the acquisition of an analog watch tho, amirite? :ph34r:

I have a Skagen as of right now. It's not much, but it's a start.

We'll see how my $GME bets work out this week, and I could be joining you in the land of fancy watches. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

I have a Skagen as of right now. It's not much, but it's a start.

We'll see how my $GME bets work out this week, and I could be joining you in the land of fancy watches. 

Given your work takes you into the field (IIRC), maybe in lieu of a "fancy" watch consider a watch that's nice and/or elegant enough for the office, but also is badass and touch as nails?

For an entry level watch of this ilk, check out the Victorinox INOX. Lulz at all the shit Victorinox puts this watch through in their own tests (look for it on YT).

For an entry level automatic tool watch, check out Seiko's SRP or (now discontinued) SKX lines.

An upgrade from there would include Hamilton and Certina; both make great tool watches.

There are a few German makers who used hardened steel and make phenomenal watches - google Damasko and Sinn. 

I know we share an appreciation of other fine things... you're going to either hate me or love me - or both - by the time I get you to take your first step down this rabbit hole. :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Given your work takes you into the field (IIRC), maybe in lieu of a "fancy" watch consider a watch that's nice and/or elegant enough for the office, but also is badass and touch as nails?

For an entry level watch of this ilk, check out the Victorinox INOX. Lulz at all the shit Victorinox puts this watch through in their own tests (look for it on YT).

For an entry level automatic tool watch, check out Seiko's SRP or (now discontinued) SKX lines.

An upgrade from their would include Hamilton and Certina, both whom make great tool watches.

There are a few German makers who used hardened steel and make phenomenal watches - google Damasko and Sinn. 

I know we share an appreciation of other fine things... you're going to either hate me or love me - or both - by the time I get you to take your first step down this rabbit hole. :ph34r:

The Inox is actually one that I've been looking at for a long time now. I just always have issues pulling the trigger on things like that. 

You are definitely correct though, I'm going to love and hate you for this crap. :P

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Breitling is a huge oversight. A little too bling for my tastes but great watch. I’m probably going to buy a pair of Nomos Tangentes for my kids graduation. Twins. Twice the college tuition next year too.

My buddy who's is also my financial advisor has a Breitling and absolutely loves it. All it seems he talks about and definitely pushing me towards one. Seem like amazing pieces.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

The Inox is actually one that I've been looking at for a long time now. I just always have issues pulling the trigger on things like that. 

You are definitely correct though, I'm going to love and hate you for this crap. :P

I'm a watch somalier.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

My buddy who's is also my financial advisor has a Breitling and absolutely loves it. All it seems he talks about and definitely pushing me towards one. Seem like amazing pieces.

You'll know which watch is the one once you have it in the hand. Just fill your dance card first and the rest will take care of itself.

And do yourself a big favor and don't opt for a quartz model of a Breitling, or any high-end watch for that matter. Those guys are trying to wear a brand on their wrist. Chase the watch, not the brand.

There's nothing wrong with quartz watches mind you (some of the HAQ and UHF are very cool), but IMO as a general rule no one should ever pay (much) more than $500 for a quartz watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Is there a go-to website for used watches? 

The large grey market retailers on the East Coast (Jomashop and Ashford) usually have a large selection of "certified pre-owned" as both accept trade-ins.

Also, if you post on watchuseek, they have a forum for private sales. Watch guys tend to take good care of their watches.

• Like 1

Another from the box - this is my favorite chronograph. Concord was formed in 1908 and is known for producing the thinnest watch ever made. This is not that watch. While the aesthetics always appealed to me, I bought the watch for the movement.

IMG-4027.jpg

The reason I bought the watch:

Screen-Shot-2021-01-25-at-11-31-33-PM.pn

Zenith introduced the El Primero movement in 1969 and it was (and for over 40 years remained) the fastest automatic chronograph in existence. Rolex used the El Primero in the Daytona into the early '00s. Any watch marked "Chronometre" or "Chronometer" indicates it has a chronometer-grade movement that underwent individual testing and certification by the COSC, the official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute to ensure it performs within a tight set of tolerances.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

SanDiegan is right. Put on a lot of watches. I just fell for the Seamaster because of the scalloped bezels. I have a pretty skinny wrists as well so a 42 is probably the max I can wear. Check out the Breitling Superocean Heritage.  It’s a good looking watch that you can pick up for a reasonable price preowned. Something off the radar a little is the Rado Captain Cook. Rados  are big in India and South Asia. It’s fun just talking about watches. Sorry about the bad picture.

7E2EA470-7A1F-4C0F-8BAE-61348E3F782E.jpeg.e758cd19546cbe09666839495e0f69a2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Twins... holy shit. Are you sure you're not the one who deserves a new watch? :shots:

What an awesome gift. Assuming we're talking about high school, do you think they're ready for a watch that nice with that degree of prestige? Of course, with a Watch Dad, they've probably grown up with an appreciation to some degree. :)

I always imagined a first "nice" watch for a HS grad to be in the Tissot/Certina/Mido/Hamilton range (not all at the same price point, but with significant overlap), and then 1-2 tiers up after graduating college and upon entering the workforce. I understand though this is entirely subjective. 

I’m sure they won’t appreciate it for a few years, I sure wouldn’t have. But in few years, they’ll think, man that’s a great watch. Some normal people buy nice stereos or fancy cars like Escalades or even Raptors that touch 100k. I live pretty frugally otherwise. I have a couple of nice watches and high end fly fishing gear. 

I’ve got one kid that’s probably going to an Ivy which will cost me north of a quarter million even though he could have gotten a full ride+ at a bunch of decent schools because he was a national merit finalist. But no....

The other could get a full ride at UNM but he’s going to Utah or look for a D2 baseball school. At least it’s a WUE school. 

yea, I probably deserve a watch for myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

SanDiegan is right. Put on a lot of watches. I just fell for the Seamaster because of the scalloped bezels. I have a pretty skinny wrists as well so a 42 is probably the max I can wear. Check out the Breitling Superocean Heritage.  It’s a good looking watch that you can pick up for a reasonable price preowned. Something off the radar a little is the Rado Captain Cook. Rados  are big in India and South Asia. It’s fun just talking about watches. Sorry about the bad picture.

Was a big fan of the Superocean Heritage, love the rubber bracelet. 

I am madly in love with the oysterflex bracelet from Rolex..

5C472C40-85F2-4D59-ABBD-908A84523826.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Another from the box - this is my favorite chronograph. Concord was formed in 1908 and is known for producing the thinnest watch ever made. This is not that watch. While the aesthetics always appealed to me, I bought the watch for the movement.

IMG-4027.jpg

The reason I bought the watch:

Screen-Shot-2021-01-25-at-11-31-33-PM.pn

Zenith introduced the El Primero movement in 1969 and it was (and for over 40 years remained) the fastest automatic chronograph in existence. Rolex used the El Primero in the Daytona into the early '00s. Any watch marked "Chronometre" or "Chronometer" indicates it has a chronometer-grade movement that underwent individual testing and certification by the COSC, the official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute to ensure it performs within a tight set of tolerances.

I might have to start looking around for one of those. Thanks a lot...sarcastically.

• Haha 1

Here's a little article that does a good job of explaining analog watch face designs and getting into their history a bit. Good for introduction to some basic watch terminology too. It's interesting that Apple Watches incorporate these classic designs into their interface. I'm not a smartwatch guy, but I think it's a good way to introduce people to mechanical watches who are immersed in digital technology. 

https://www.arun.is/blog/apple-watch-faces/

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Quite possibly the best bezel in the dive watch genre IMO. How is Omega's rubber bracelet?

There is a PO at my local (former) AD I think is supposed to be mine, as it's been there every time I pop in, still priced in "it's gotta go!" territory. The only reason I haven't is because I plan on (finally) picking up my Sub.

And good call on the Captain Cook.  The last ten years or so have been a Golden Age for us watch guys, with the emergence of quality microbrands and the relaunch of historic models by the OGs.

49 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Was a big fan of the Superocean Heritage, love the rubber bracelet. 

I am madly in love with the oysterflex bracelet from Rolex..

5C472C40-85F2-4D59-ABBD-908A84523826.png

How is the Oysterflex bracelet? As with @NMpackalum's Seamaster, I never knew Rolex offered a rubber bracelet (seems intuitively odd on a Rollie). I was never happy with the rubber bracelets on my less expensive watches and traditionally skeptical about rubber bracelets on more expensive watches until I bought my Aquis - the rubber bracelet Oris designed is sublime and made me a believer.

46 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Quite possibly the best bezel in the dive watch genre IMO. How is Omega's rubber bracelet?

There is a PO at my local (former) AD I think is supposed to be mine, as it's been there every time I pop in, still priced in "it's gotta go!" territory. The only reason I haven't is because I plan on (finally) picking up my Sub.

And good call on the Captain Cook.  The last ten years or so have been a Golden Age for us watch guys, with the emergence of quality microbrands and the relaunch of historic models by the OGs.

It's a great rubber strap. It's not hot or sticky. I love the bezel but just as critics have said, it's not the easiest to turn compared to the Planet Oceans or AquaTerra or even the Tudor or Submariner. I would use a dive computer anyway when I scuba so it doesn't really matter. Isn't this a nice distraction from arguing over Trump or progressive agenda or Covid conspiracies.

• Cheers 1