Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

trump Impeachment Trial Thread

9 hours ago, toonkee said:

Nikki Haley is terrible and of ordinary political courage and uniqueness. Maybe she was better before. Whatevs...

JFC. “Give the man a break?”  Given what he fomented and incited?  Hey, while we’re at it, let’s give any Chinese or Russian hack job a break. Stuff like that is just inconsequential “fluff”... right?  SMH...

This isn't an Earth shattering take, but it's pretty clear, judging from all the bad faith arguments coming from the Right; they want Trump neutralized as much as anyone, they just don't want to be seen by their voters as the ones pulling the trigger.

They are hoping the SDNY or some other scandal takes him down, then they can swoop in and gobble up Trump's voters. 

1 hour ago, sjsbuff said:

On a side note here, Mike Lindell has been banned by Twitter.  Whatta phucking nut-job that guy is. To think HE was thinking of running for Governor is a pretty frightening thing...

I don't know. Minnesotans elected Jesse Ventura.

As to this impeachment, not only won't Trump be convicted, I think the GOP is going to keep such a lid on it that it will forever be considered a nothing burger. What is going to be a something burger is going to be coming criminal charges against Mr. Grumpy. The guy has managed to make himself so detested by the majority of Americans that only Trumpists will bitch about the taxpayer dollars which will be spent to ruin him.

Nikki Haley: I was agnostic about the woman a few years ago but she's proven herself to be a major milquetoast unworthy of the White House.

So, 45 Republicans, including Mcconnell, just voted to dismiss the trial on the grounds that is unconstitutional to impeach/convict an out of office president.

That's the out they just created for themselves. 

So remember kids, there are literally no rules the last couple weeks of the presidency unless the incoming Congress is overwhelmingly against you. You're a fool if you don't at least try to go full dictator.

There's something to be said about the GOP having control over its own reckoning. Some of their comments that suggest the impeachment is to get even with the GOP betray some of that, I think. I get it to some extent... if you eff up, it's nice to be given the opportunity to make it up to everyone on your own terms. There'd the idea that real contrition comes when you're not forced into it. 

At the same time, the GOP had a lot to do with Trump being in the position to commit one of the most impeachable of impeachable offenses. When Trump was elected, I honestly thought that the adults in the GOP would basically keep him under control and work to set up incentives that would force him to act somewhat normal or face legislative consequences. I thought Trump's supposed desire for "deals" and "wins" would keep him within the bounds that GOP leadership in the Senate would set down and maybe even get him to take some potential wins from the Dems on certain issues. I honestly thought Congress would re-assert itself as the first branch of government. Dumb me.

I don't think that impeachment can be avoided since what he did was so clearly impeachable and letting him lose an election isn't an appropriate response. But I do fear that the impeachment itself blows a little air on the embers of Trump's political career instead of letting it extinguish on its own. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So, 45 Republicans, including Mcconnell, just voted to dismiss the trial on the grounds that is unconstitutional to impeach/convict an out of office president.

So remember kids, there are literally no rules the last couple weeks of the presidency unless the incoming Congress is overwhelmingly against you. You're a fool if you don't at least try to go full dictator.

They just are trying to defend Trump without defending his actions. It's good to see that GOP senators are still abdicating the power of Congress, this time to a president who isn't even in office anymore. An impeachment is constitutional when congress says it is. The idea they would actively work to undermine their own power is bad news for anyone who thinks we're going to see the executive office lose power any time soon. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Well I’m assuming all 45 Republicans that voted to dismiss also vote to acquit, and I’m guessing Romney, Murkowski, and Toomey definitely vote to remove. Im guessing Collins and Sasse also vote to remove, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them vote against it. 

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

At this point & how most republicans caved to trump.........not sure most of the GOP wouldn't surrender America to a dictator 

It’s important to get these people on record - even as they bend over to Orange Man and cowardly hide behind process and not substance. I’m not saying the U.S. Capitol will be bum-rushed again anytime soon, but it’s not hard to imagine Orange Man’s  acolytes doing further damage to public institutions down the road.  You know, via their general dvmbfvckery. I want the GOP to have to defend their disgusting pattern of looking past anti-American lawlessness and sedition from this day forward...

4 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

It’s important to get these people on record - even as they bend over to Orange Man and cowardly hide behind process and not substance. I’m not saying the U.S. Capitol will be bum-rushed again anytime soon, but it’s not hard to imagine Orange Man’s  acolytes doing further damage to public institutions down the road.  You know, via their general dvmbfvckery. I want the GOP to have to defend their disgusting pattern of looking past anti-American lawlessness and sedition from this day forward...

100% agree - And for a party who just went four years screaming LAW & ORDER, they are now showing that was just a smokescreen to appeal to the gullible suckers of Cult 45 

This is also to send a message to the future that we now can see the most dangerous time for this country is a rogue president between losing a November election & the January Inauguration ...............We've moved the Inauguration up from March 4 to January 20.........maybe it's time to move it nearer to January 1 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, sactowndog said:

Probably more gridlock 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/politics/bipartisanship-biden-analysis/index.html

... When given a choice by Monmouth University pollsters between working together with Biden or keeping him in check, 67% of Republicans nationwide want to keep him in check.

That would be my choice as well.  The GOP has to do what they can to minimize the damage over the next two years.   

In '22 the GOP will regain the House & Senate.  Then we will see if he can work with the other side like Clinton and Bush at least tried to do. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That would be my choice as well.  The GOP has to do what they can to minimize the damage over the next two years.   

In '22 the GOP will regain the House & Senate.  Then we will see if he can work with the other side like Clinton and Bush at least tried to do. 

Nah, the Dems will just try to minimize the damage until they take over again in '24...

:shots:

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

You can't impeach a person who is no longer president. There is no authority in the constitution for this. Any impeachment would be overturned in federal court, as the constitution doesn't give congress the authority to impeach someone who is not president. Think about the precedent that would set. If the GOP gains control of Congress in 2022 they could preemptively impeach AOC and ban her from running for president for life. This is not a good idea to impeach someone who isn't president. 

46 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You can't impeach a person who is no longer president. There is no authority in the constitution for this. Any impeachment would be overturned in federal court, as the constitution doesn't give congress the authority to impeach someone who is not president. Think about the precedent that would set. If the GOP gains control of Congress in 2022 they could preemptively impeach AOC and ban her from running for president for life. This is not a good idea to impeach someone who isn't president. 

Preemptively impeaching someone who hasn't even been elected president yet for actions that they didn't carry out as president isn't anywhere near impeaching someone who was impeached while still president for impeachable actions he took as president and then tried after he was no longer president. That's a stupid example.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Preemptively impeaching someone who hasn't even been elected president yet for actions that they didn't carry out as president isn't anywhere near impeaching someone who was impeached while still president for impeachable actions he took as president and then tried after he was no longer president. That's a stupid example.

Okay. You still can't impeach and convict someone who is not president.  There is no authority for this. The Chief Justice is refusing to provide over any trial. This is dumb. Trump isn't president anymore. lets move on please. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

He was impeached for incitement of insurrection while he was the president.

11 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Okay. You still can't impeach and convict someone who is not president.  There is no authority for this. The Chief Justice is refusing to provide over any trial. This is dumb. Trump isn't president anymore. lets move on please. 

There's plenty of precedent for officials being impeached after they leave office, and it is constitutional for Congress to impeach in order to prevent another run at office. It's unclear if Roberts was even asked to oversee the impeachment, so there's no evidence he refused.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-chief-justice-roberts-refuse-preside-over-trumps-impeachment-trial-1564300

You don't want the impeachment, and that's why you think it's unconstitutional. That's fine... I think it's a reasonable argument that the impeachment trial will be a net negative. But let's not confuse your convictions for those of the Senate GOP who are saying this is unconstitutional. They want to continue to refuse to publicly rebuke Trump and hold him accountable for his reckless and dangerous behavior without having to defend that behavior.