Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Senate Gamesmanship thread

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would LOVE that class.

Academic Freedom is a beautiful thing. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is false.  Compare the pieces of significant legislation passed under the last 4 presidents to historical norms.  EO's being weaponized is a separate issue.  I still find that preferable than the president increasing his influence in actual legislation.  

Dude it’s your rebuttal and you seem to have plenty of time.  Feel free to post real data if you are going to cite it.  

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Dude it’s your rebuttal and you seem to have plenty of time.  Feel free to post real data if you are going to cite it.  

I've done this several times on the same topic.  Not my fault if you can't remember.  Took me over 40 minutes last time.

Educate yourself for a change.  I'm tired of teaching you.

Hint, you can  start with 110th congress and go forward and backward.

51 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've done this several times on the same topic.  Not my fault if you can't remember.  Took me over 40 minutes last time.

Educate yourself for a change.  I'm tired of teaching you.

Hint, you can  start with 110th congress and go forward and backward.

so if you can't do it under 20 this time you know you're losing it

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

so if you can't do it under 20 this time you know you're losing it

I'm stoned AF and told him where to find it.  Just don't feel like wasting time demonstrating a point I have proven over and over already just because he did not read it or forgot it.  

Only a handful of congresses have ever been super productive, and you have to take that in the context of those times.  I would also argue that lack of legislation passed is not always a bad thing.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm stoned AF and told him where to find it.  Just don't feel like wasting time demonstrating a point I have proven over and over already just because he did not read it or forgot it.  

Only a handful of congresses have ever been super productive, and you have to take that in the context of those times.  I would also argue that lack of legislation passed is not always a bad thing.

I know this maybe a shocker to you but some of us don’t have time to read every thread.  Perhaps if you find yourself repeating things store them in word so you can cut and paste 😁

Just now, sactowndog said:

I know this maybe a shocker to you but some of us don’t have time to read every thread.  Perhaps if you find yourself repeating things store them in word so you can cut and paste 😁

Dude, that is a really good idea.

Cheers.

But seriously, how TF have I not thought about that.  Clearly I am not the problem solving smarty pants I sometimes think I am.

Also @sactowndog, @Maji and others.  This may be the second marijuana cookie kicking in but I fully realize I can be a condescending little shit head, and that can make me argue in bad faith from time to time.  I'm working on it, but I hope the conversations are at least stimulating when I am not being an ass.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Also @sactowndog, @Maji and others.  This may be the second marijuana cookie kicking in but I fully realize I can be a condescending little shit head, and that can make me argue in bad faith from time to time.  I'm working on it, but I hope the conversations are at least stimulating when I am not being an ass.

They are absolutely stimulating my friend.   Even when you are an asshole.  Like you, if I didn’t respect you I wouldn’t bother.   Better to get your asshole out on us then your boss or future wife.   

Found a good quote from some guy named James Madison that seems  apropos to the conversation here:

”The nullification expressed by South Carolina in which a single state initiates a process which is to give in its result an authority of 7 over 17 states, will be in all sober minds, be [sic] unanimously pronounced to be equally unconstitutional, preposterous, and anti-Republican.”

“The seven might, in particular instances be right, and the seventeen wrong, is more then possible. But to establish a positive and permanent rule giving such a power, to such a minority, over such a majority, would overturn the first principle of free government, and in practice overturn the government itself”. 

Yes, bringing Madison’s example to be in line with the current 3/5 requirement to break a filibuster would be the equivalent of 10 states having authority over 17, but I don’t think Madison would have said, “o it’s 10 states, not 7, having authority over 17? Well shit, that changes everything! Forget everything I just said, minority rule FTW!”

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

bookmark old threads under "already won arguments"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

However you feel about the filibuster now the truth is it came to prominence as an anti-civil rights tool. So much like the EC, which empowered slave states, it's hard not to find it somewhat repulsive.