Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

OT: Larry Scott is out

1 hour ago, Mano said:

If you make a call that is a "gamble", you need to have a plan B and act on it if things go sideways.  The conference not making a lot of CFP appearances has nothing to do with it. When the conference you are in charge of is falling behind others monetarily, the majority of homes don't have access to your network, and you are spending like a drunken sailor it tends to piss people off. 

Eh, they signed the deal, only so much you can do at that point. By the time it was clear the 100% ownership wasn’t going to produce the revenue they thought, networks were already preparing to bid on the B1G and SEC, so the market wasn’t there like it would have been when they initially signed their deal. And yes, the conference not making the CFP much has a ton to do with it. The Big 12 and ACC are on the same level as the Pac-12 in terms of revenue, but OU and Clemson shield them from the level of criticism that the Pac-12 receives. Especially the ACC, which in a lot of years ends up the worst conference in the computer rankings even with Clemson factored in. 

Larry Scott came from golf where he thought he could easily get a channel given the programming content available and make a bunch of money.  He was wrong and then coerced the presidents to stay the course on the P12 channel while giving him more money and more power. 

It's ironic in that the P12 presidents pride themselves on being this academic bastion yet they themselves were easily fooled by a charlatan.  So much for the "Academic Excellence".  

16 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Seems like it mainly boils down to him making one gamble that ended up blowing up in his face, that being keeping 100% ownership of the P12N. At the time I recall it was viewed as risky move, but one with a ton of upside that could eventually result in a financial windfall. Now that we know that didn’t happen there seems to be some revisionist history by some that this move showed incompetence, but that really isn’t an accurate description. It was a risky, and ultimately, a losing bet; but I wouldn’t call it a “bad” bet. 

And again, Oregon and USC nail their HC hires and Scott is suddenly viewed in a different light. 

His extravagance alone was enough to fire him. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

His extravagance alone was enough to fire him. 

Moving the offices to SF was sssoooo stupid. Phoenix would have been a smart location, imo. Cheaper and just as centrally located with CU and Utah. 

34 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Moving the offices to SF was sssoooo stupid. Phoenix would have been a smart location, imo. Cheaper and just as centrally located with CU and Utah. 

Tell that to the one-third of the conference located in Oregon and Washington. Usmap

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wut???

I think there was a major revamp and turnover around 2009 or so when the PAC 10 folks was replaced by Larry Scott and his people and then the PAC-12 happened.  What the PAC-12 folks would say is the PAC-10 didn’t have this Conference of Champions mentality and was stuck in the old ways of thinking.  Also inferiority to the East Coast bias.  The PAC-12 folks maintained equal revenue share for conference members, in the face of unequal resource and revenue generation, and was able to continue that.  They also sought to help the lower resourced schools with improving their technology, marketing/ticketing.  Also the current PAC-12 folks implemented the Conference Championship Game which I think a lot of the conference revenues come from.  

Not an apologist for the Larry Scott era but relaying some things that I learned they did.  That’s why the PAC-12 folks might have been an upgrade from the PAC-10 folks but did not pull off their more important objectives.  

It was a crappy time for a football performance down cycle by their top programs. 

24 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I think there was a major revamp and turnover around 2009 or so when the PAC 10 folks was replaced by Larry Scott and his people and then the PAC-12 happened.  What the PAC-12 folks would say is the PAC-10 didn’t have this Conference of Champions mentality and was stuck in the old ways of thinking.  Also inferiority to the East Coast bias.  The PAC-12 folks maintained equal revenue share for conference members, in the face of unequal resource and revenue generation, and was able to continue that.  They also sought to help the lower resourced schools with improving their technology, marketing/ticketing.  Also the current PAC-12 folks implemented the Conference Championship Game which I think a lot of the conference revenues come from.  

Not an apologist for the Larry Scott era but relaying some things that I learned they did.  That’s why the PAC-12 folks might have been an upgrade from the PAC-10 folks but did not pull off their more important objectives.  

It was a crappy time for a football performance down cycle by their top programs. 

Who are the "PAC-10" folks as opposed to the "PAC-12" folks?

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Who are the "PAC-10" folks as opposed to the "PAC-12" folks?

This article talks about the hiring of Scott in 2009 from the tennis world, and the rationale. As is now, West Coast sports was trying to fight East Coast bias.  The Conference of Champions it seems was trying to promote natural strengths in Olympic sports and make them more marketable.

https://www.bruinsnation.com/2009/3/24/809493/pac-10-hires-new-commission

Getting to the hires themselves, this article highlights the new faces/roles that the Larry Scott era brought in.  This article was from 2012 and I must have talked to some of the PAC-12 folks a year later in Walnut Creek, and they were still pretty new to their jobs.  The PAC-10 folks include former Hawaii AD Ben Jay.  Anyways, Larry comes in and brings his people as is usually the case, but also expands the scope with digital / media. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/an-oral-history-of-how-the-pac-12-launched-seven-networks-in-under-a-year/

At the time, I was pretty enthralled with the direction of the PAC-12.  Conference championship at the new 49er stadium.  London Olympics still fresh, and the Conference of Champions with smart and talented athletes really hit it off with me regarding the well roundedness of the experience. 

I wanted Hawaii to have this conference support in the MWC (to see how we could be better) so I reached out to our AD.  

Although I’ve been less active lately (been busy), I noticed the MWC helped Hawaii with the Week Zero exemption and from first hand communications, the help with implementation of technology for our live streaming games (a big issue for us in 2017).  Anyways, Mahalo MWC (...about those travel subs though). 

21 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Tell that to the one-third of the conference located in Oregon and Washington. Usmap

The correct location would have been Salt Lake to be honest, that would have been the most central location by far (plus way cheaper than San Fran).

18 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

This article talks about the hiring of Scott in 2009 from the tennis world, and the rationale. As is now, West Coast sports was trying to fight East Coast bias.  The Conference of Champions it seems was trying to promote natural strengths in Olympic sports and make them more marketable.

https://www.bruinsnation.com/2009/3/24/809493/pac-10-hires-new-commission

Getting to the hires themselves, this article highlights the new faces/roles that the Larry Scott era brought in.  This article was from 2012 and I must have talked to some of the PAC-12 folks a year later in Walnut Creek, and they were still pretty new to their jobs.  The PAC-10 folks include former Hawaii AD Ben Jay.  Anyways, Larry comes in and brings his people as is usually the case, but also expands the scope with digital / media. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/an-oral-history-of-how-the-pac-12-launched-seven-networks-in-under-a-year/

At the time, I was pretty enthralled with the direction of the PAC-12.  Conference championship at the new 49er stadium.  London Olympics still fresh, and the Conference of Champions with smart and talented athletes really hit it off with me regarding the well roundedness of the experience. 

I wanted Hawaii to have this conference support in the MWC (to see how we could be better) so I reached out to our AD.  

Although I’ve been less active lately (been busy), I noticed the MWC helped Hawaii with the Week Zero exemption and from first hand communications, the help with implementation of technology for our live streaming games (a big issue for us in 2017).  Anyways, Mahalo MWC (...about those travel subs though). 

Good for you, dude.

Seriously...

Taking action for yourself like that is about the same damn thing guys like MJ or Kobe did did every time they tried to score:

Turn it up...

RIP

New-Signature.jpg

On 1/22/2021 at 7:41 PM, Mano said:

If you make a call that is a "gamble", you need to have a plan B and act on it if things go sideways.  The conference not making a lot of CFP appearances has nothing to do with it. When the conference you are in charge of is falling behind others monetarily, the majority of homes don't have access to your network, and you are spending like a drunken sailor it tends to piss people off. 

Not only that, but the P12 network(s) being on so few carriers probably cost the P12 teams top recruits.  I'm presuming that those guys want to be playing for teams that play most all of their games on broadcast networks or ESPN.  Not being able to tell your mom/family where to find the network to watch your games may have contributed to the Pac's on-going issues of irrelevance in the national championship picture.

Larry Scott's incompetence, gullibility, and plain stupidity were all proved beyond the shadow of a doubt when he (and Delaney) gave control of The Rose Bowl to the CFB playoff (read SEC).

The presidents should have sh'tcanned him the moment he tried to sell them on relinquishing control of The Rose Bowl.  

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif