Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

OT: Larry Scott is out

Let's see now it only cost the PAC 12 FORTY MILLION DOLLARS to have that incompetent (and completely corrupt) P.O.S. as the PAC 12 commissioner since 2009.  I'm wondering if that figure of $40 MILLION dollars (that was paid to him by the fools who run the PAC 12) accounts for the money the PAC 12 "loaned" him to buy a Bay Area mansion - money that he never made any attempt to repay.  Or is that just the $5.3 million dollars that the PAC 12 was paying him annually- which made him the highest paid commissioner in any league (by far).  He was being paid more annually by the PAC 12 than the commissioners of the Big Ten and S.E.C. COMBINED.  

And in yet another "genius" move the forces that governor the PAC 12 are allowing this total incompetent to stay on the job until JUNE of this year.  BRILLIANT !!!!

image.jpeg.19937d024059cce6c95b8a41c1a06326.jpeg

49 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

O ok. In that case then the extreme hate for Scott is really stupid. Sounds like a bunch of schools are just mad that they didn’t hire better coaches and put a better product on the field, but are using the commissioner as a scapegoat. 

Did Scott have anything to do with promoting the Pac 12 Network? 

If so, that's all we need to know...phuck him!

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

O ok. In that case then the extreme hate for Scott is really stupid. Sounds like a bunch of schools are just mad that they didn’t hire better coaches and put a better product on the field, but are using the commissioner as a scapegoat. 

The general apathy towards athletics from the conference's presidents and chancellors would be something I'd blame.  Day and night difference between what I saw in the Big 12 compared to the Pac-12.

If you say that the extreme hate of Larry Scott is stupid, you should be saying the same thing about Donald Trump.  Both are people who are full of themselves.

12 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

If you say that the extreme hate of Larry Scott is stupid, you should be saying the same thing about Donald Trump.  Both are people who are full of themselves.

This is a really, really, bad analogy. 

if we're being honest the PAC12's failures run much deeper than just Larry Scott. Certainly Larry made many critical mistakes, but he was also caught in a cycle where the PAC12 in hoops/football didn’t deliver. You can’t blame that on him. I also think that the gap between the SEC/B1G and the rest of the leagues has widened making it more difficult for anyone leading the conference to appear successful.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

The general apathy towards athletics from the conference's presidents and chancellors would be something I'd blame.  Day and night difference between what I saw in the Big 12 compared to the Pac-12.

When I attended Colorado in the late 70's early 80's, the majority of the student population was totally apathetic towards athletics. That's why CU is a perfect fit for the PAC12 :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

if we're being honest the PAC12's failures run much deeper than just Larry Scott. Certainly Larry made many critical mistakes, but he was also caught in a cycle where the PAC12 in hoops/football didn’t deliver. You can’t blame that on him. I also think that the gap between the SEC/B1G and the rest of the leagues has widened making it more difficult for anyone leading the conference to appear successful.

And it snowballs.  The west is losing it's best recruits to the SEC because they are losing their best recruits to the SEC.

15 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I just can’t believe how their media presence has diminished.  Nobody carries the PAC 12 network, and even ESPN and Fox seem to showcase the other conferences ahead of them. 

And that definitely hurts. However, it certainly isn't Scott's fault that Oregon football has fallen off since Kelly left, that Arizona hoops haven't won big recently even with what appears to be blatant recruiting violations, that even with the Galen Center USC basketball can't get to the next level, that Stanford football has been gradually slipping since Harbaugh's recruits all graduated, that Dan Guerrero was an abject failure as UCLA's AD, etc. Bottom line is simply replacing its commissioner isn't going to straighten out all the problems with the P12.

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

It appears to me that P12 presidents and chancellors simply put more emphasis on winning titles in low-revenue sports as a group than they do about football and men's basketball. That way they can spend a relative pittance while still being able to call themselves The Conference of Champions. Since most fans only care about football and hoops, THAT is the biggest problem with the conference's reputation.

16 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

It was not academic snobbery that caused the PAC-12 to reject OU & OSU.  OU was using the PAC-12 as leverage against the Big 12 to get a better deal with the Big 12.

this is correct

too many people have their own false history Wilner at the San Jose Fish Wrap did a pretty extensive write up on the attempt to get OU and OkState

essentially he said that there were programs like Stanford that were against it, but larry could have overcome that and made it happen IF the opportunity had been there

but in reality once Texas said they were staying in the Big 12 and once david "here let me touch you there" boren had his ego massaged the reality was that OU without a 3rd tier deal was going to make slightly more money in the Big 12 (and continue to have unequal influence over 8 others in the conference) and with the 3rd tier deal that OU signed they were going to make $3 or $4 million more per year then they would have in the PAC 12

and with the above facts it was actually OU and OkState that informed the PAC 12 that they were not interested in membership.....and from there the PAC made the vote to "table expansion"

the PAC 12 never actually voted to expand or to expand specifically with OU and OkState instead they voted to "table" the discussion......because there was no reason to vote when they knew OU and OkState would have declined the offer

but Wilner was of the very strong opinion that if OU and OkStage had said "we want in" the vote would have been there to admit them

this says just what you stated that touchy touchy boren was leveraging the PAC 12

https://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/22/actionreaction-pac-12-non-expansion-espns-conflict-and-byus-future/

this says that Wilner felt the voted would have been there

https://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/19/pac-12-expansion-the-latest-on-texas-revenue-sharing-and-16-team-division-alignment/

the next blog does say that the PAC 12 MAY HAVE BEEN the proactive partner, but there was another article (that might have been in the main paper not the blog) where he breaks down the vote to "table expansion" and that no vote to expand or not was ever taken for OU and OkState

https://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/20/pac-12-conference-no-expansion/

and here is an article from Wilner that is (relatively) recent that breaks down revenues

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/03/28/conference-cash-pac-12-lags-the-sec-big-ten-and-even-the-big-12-in-distributions-to-the-campuses/

so excluding any 3rd tier for the Big 12 they are still about $4 million per year ahead of the PAC 12 and that number is probably growing slightly at the end of the contracts

and while the OU administration has tried to downplay what they earn from their 3rd tier it is still at least several million per year and well above the PAC12n payout that IS included for the PAC 12 in those Wilner numbers

the real mistake for larry was allowing the PAC12n to go to market and PROVE their lack of value and to not correct that immediately and to continue to allow the market to value that network at next to nothing because the PAC 12 has no leverage to "cram" the network onto cable MSOs the way that ESPN does or even Fox

once it was fully proven that no one was canceling their cable or sat subscriptions because of no PAC 12 network that basically allowed ESPN to offer the PAC 12 a recent deal of ESPN taking over ownership the network for FREE and then future revenue sharing.....and the PAC 12 took a pass on that

the other major issues was the bloated PAC12n administration and fiscal overhead in addition to the bloated conference administration overhead.....all told his ego and arrogance cost PAC 12 members at least $1 million a year each over the last 6 or 7 years and that is not huge money, but it all adds up especially for the PAC 12 with their very high academic side subsidies and lower revenue teams......he may well have cost them double that or more is ESPN was able to successfully "cram" the PAC12n onto cable and sat MSOs with the AACn creation and other Disney owned network carriage negotiations.....hell there is probably about $500,000 a year per team just in administrative bloat the PAC 12 probably could have gotten FREE office space from Las Vegas

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I don't know if the Pac ever had a shot at getting the Okie schools without Texas, but that is not why everyone hates Larry Scott. The issue is his handling of the Pac 12 Network and media deals in general, combined with his extravagance while the Pac was falling behind some of the other conferences monetarily.  

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

When I attended Colorado in the late 70's early 80's, the majority of the student population was totally apathetic towards athletics. That's why CU is a perfect fit for the PAC12 :thumbsup:

Can't hurt to have over 100K living alumni on the west coast.  CU wouldn't have spent about $200M on athletic facilities like they have since joining the PAC if they stayed in the Big 12.  Heart prefers Big 12 but mind says Pac-12 is the better fit for CU.  That is why it was a shock to me how apathetic the P12 schools are compared to the Big 12 schools.

@Someone: Thanks for the links that backs up what I was talking about.

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It appears to me that P12 presidents and chancellors simply put more emphasis on winning titles in low-revenue sports as a group than they do about football and men's basketball. That way they can spend a relative pittance while still being able to call themselves The Conference of Champions. Since most fans only care about football and hoops, THAT is the biggest problem with the conference's reputation.

Yeah it was cool at first then its lost its coolness when the P12 stopped making the CFP.  Having the Buffs win national championships in cross country and skiing wouldn't have been enough to get me to apply to that school.

23 minutes ago, Mano said:

I don't know if the Pac ever had a shot at getting the Okie schools without Texas, but that is not why everyone hates Larry Scott. The issue is his handling of the Pac 12 Network and media deals in general, combined with his extravagance while the Pac was falling behind some of the other conferences monetarily.  

Home run, circle the bases. Concise and to the point. 

1 minute ago, Mano said:

All while other teams made unprecedented amounts of money.

He talked a big game about being able to get carriage fees and get the network on various options for viewing, which never happened. He should have been fired 8 years ago. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, Mano said:

Seems like it mainly boils down to him making one gamble that ended up blowing up in his face, that being keeping 100% ownership of the P12N. At the time I recall it was viewed as risky move, but one with a ton of upside that could eventually result in a financial windfall. Now that we know that didn’t happen there seems to be some revisionist history by some that this move showed incompetence, but that really isn’t an accurate description. It was a risky, and ultimately, a losing bet; but I wouldn’t call it a “bad” bet. 

And again, Oregon and USC nail their HC hires and Scott is suddenly viewed in a different light. 

40 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Seems like it mainly boils down to him making one gamble that ended up blowing up in his face, that being keeping 100% ownership of the P12N. At the time I recall it was viewed as risky move, but one with a ton of upside that could eventually result in a financial windfall. Now that we know that didn’t happen there seems to be some revisionist history by some that th It was a risky, and ultimately, a is move showed incompetence, but that really isn’t an accurate description.losing bet; but I wouldn’t call it a “bad” bet. 

And again, Oregon and USC nail their HC hires and Scott is suddenly viewed in a different light. 

Maybe the P12 network was a valiant "swing" but PHUCK!!!, it's been unsuccessful for more than 9 years.

Maybe 5 years in they should have gone a different direction? :shrug:

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Seems like it mainly boils down to him making one gamble that ended up blowing up in his face, that being keeping 100% ownership of the P12N. At the time I recall it was viewed as risky move, but one with a ton of upside that could eventually result in a financial windfall. Now that we know that didn’t happen there seems to be some revisionist history by some that this move showed incompetence, but that really isn’t an accurate description. It was a risky, and ultimately, a losing bet; but I wouldn’t call it a “bad” bet. 

If you make a call that is a "gamble", you need to have a plan B and act on it if things go sideways.  The conference not making a lot of CFP appearances has nothing to do with it. When the conference you are in charge of is falling behind others monetarily, the majority of homes don't have access to your network, and you are spending like a drunken sailor it tends to piss people off. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan