Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Executive Order thread.

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The Supreme Court has long ignored the constitution.  See Wickard v. Filburn and Reynolds v. Sims.

Pulling the Wickard card?  I'm guilty on occasion, too.  But, for ignoring the Constitution, I'd say Plessy v. Ferguson deflected the 14th as Reynolds did not. Other examples?  It's still early for me.

13 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Will someone explain to me why Trump supporters call him Beijing Biden.. What’s he done with China for people to think he’s their puppet? Serious question. I did a quick Google scan but didn’t see an answer to this question.

projection

17 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Most executive orders are unconstitutional.  They are only for directing the military of in regards to how they will enforce laws that are on the books.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Where do you guys come up with shit like this? 

Yes, almost 14000 Executive Orders in the history of our great country and they're all UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

How does the SCOTUS ever have time for anything else?:facepalm:

28 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The Paris Climate accord is stupid. The rest of the nations never live up to their end of the deal, and we bankroll the whole thing. Dumb!

What? How much do you think being in the PCA cost?

Hint, the answer is ZERO.

43 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The Supreme Court has long ignored the constitution.  See Wickard v. Filburn and Reynolds v. Sims.

"I don't like that the people who are in charge of interpreting the constitution do so! that means they're IGNORING IT!"

54 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Where in the constitution does it say that the president can make the law?  Or use executive orders to avoid going through Congress to pass legislation?

"make" the law? ph, the president is the chief executive and chief administrator of the entire federal government. Policy decisions affect people all the time that don't fall under the umbrella of "law". Most executive orders are exactly what they sound like - orders from the chief executive of the organization to high level managers, instructing them how to manage one way or another. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Most executive orders are unconstitutional.  They are only for directing the military of in regards to how they will enforce laws that are on the books.

The military doesn’t enforce laws genius. 

12 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So are you are claiming Obama’s actions regarding dreamers was unconstitutional?  The Supreme Court has clearly stated the President has broad powers relative to immigration policy, thanks to Trump.   So no that was not unconstitutional.   

I won’t in anyway defend Obama’s drone attack on al-Awalki.  But many Presidents of both parties have committed violations of the constitution in the name of national defense.   

If you ask me the worst thing done under Obama was Holder ignoring valid subpoena’s from Congress.  If they thought they were frivolous they should have gone to the Supreme Court.   

Do you have other specific examples because in my mind no President comes close to Trump. 

Did I mention Dreamers? From what I recall, the SCOTUS didn't opine that Obama acted constitutionally, but rather the new administration didn't go about trying to have it tossed in the right way. That being said, the IRS political profiling, his recess appointments, and the drone attack come to mind. But whether its one instance or ten matters not when you're trying to paint the prior admins (not just Obama) as following the constitution. It only takes one trampling of the constitution to make that a false claim. 

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Where in the constitution does it say that the president can make the law?  Or use executive orders to avoid going through Congress to pass legislation?

Policy and laws are different things.

One may want the legislature to more narrowly define laws to restrict the possibilities of the policies, but that's not the same thing as getting around congress and violating the constitution. 

4 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I have no idea, but I find it hilarious 

I went down the rabbit hole with the girlfriend last night on the - does Mike Pence call his wife, "mother" topic.

While looking into it I found accounts that Ronny Ray-gun called Nancy, "mommy."

Truly fascinating stuff.

28 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Did I mention Dreamers? From what I recall, the SCOTUS didn't opine that Obama acted constitutionally, but rather the new administration didn't go about trying to have it tossed in the right way. That being said, the IRS political profiling, his recess appointments, and the drone attack come to mind. But whether its one instance or ten matters not when you're trying to paint the prior admins (not just Obama) as following the constitution. It only takes one trampling of the constitution to make that a false claim. 

Well recess appointments are not unconstitutional.  The drone attack certainly was but I think you need to put “Act of War” actions in their own bucket.  Yes we have a long list of Presidents violating the constitution in that context.  

The IRS actions were concerning but from my understanding it was not a top down directive when investigated.   

Why i didn’t vote for Biden (nor did I vote for trump). This is absurd, an abuse of power, and an absolute shot at Wyoming’s economy where there are few oil and gas projects that don’t involve federal lands or federal minerals.  Terrible and shameful start for the Biden administration.

https://trib.com/business/energy/interior-department-temporarily-suspends-new-oil-and-gas-leasing-permitting-on-federal-land/article_fa560d4f-e119-5143-ac1d-0ca2c3443759.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR3Hhi4oKOp_cHkP4gs4ZCjC2gJJxjLa1tTMxghXMJrlLlfRQaOi9V2ND3U

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Why i didn’t vote for Biden (nor did I vote for trump). This is absurd, an abuse of power, and an absolute shot at Wyoming’s economy where there are few oil and gas projects that don’t involve federal lands or federal minerals.  Terrible and shameful start for the Biden administration.

https://trib.com/business/energy/interior-department-temporarily-suspends-new-oil-and-gas-leasing-permitting-on-federal-land/article_fa560d4f-e119-5143-ac1d-0ca2c3443759.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR3Hhi4oKOp_cHkP4gs4ZCjC2gJJxjLa1tTMxghXMJrlLlfRQaOi9V2ND3U

All he’s doing is reversing a Trump EO. Anyone with a brain knew this was coming, and he was elected. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

32 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

All he’s doing is reversing a Trump EO. Anyone with a brain knew this was coming, and he was elected. 

No he is not.  He is installing an executive order that directly conflicts with the Mineral Leasing Act and Federal Oil and Gas Onshore Leasing Reform Act of 1987 and the Energy Policy Act of 2005.  I’m doubtful you have read these laws passed by Congress. I am very familiar with them.  Thanks for your input but it is dead wrong. 

I’m sure there are plenty of folks who similarly prefer a dictator rule where the president passes whatever he likes...even where it directly conflicts with laws passed by Congress.  I’m not one of those folks.  

3 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

No he is not.  He is installing an executive order that directly conflicts with the Mineral Leasing Act and Federal Oil and Gas Onshore Act of 1987.  I’m doubtful you have read these laws passed by Congress. I am very familiar with them.  Thanks for your input but it is dead wrong. 

I’m sure there are plenty of folks who similarly prefer a dictator rule where the president passes whatever he likes...even where it directly conflicts with laws passed by Congress.  I’m not one of those folks.  

Meh. Trump loosened the rules and screwed the country out of even more mineral lease revenue in his final days.

https://trib.com/business/energy/oil-and-gas-rule-change-finalized-in-last-days-of-trump-administration/article_1fc1a5eb-a56a-5aa9-8b8b-37000c0769b4.html

Once Biden gets around to reversing Trump EOs gutting environmental reviews you’ll really squirm. 

And lol re dictatorial rule. Trump issues more EOs in a 4-year term than any other President.

2 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Meh. Trump loosened the rules and screwed the country out of even more mineral lease revenue in his final days.

https://trib.com/business/energy/oil-and-gas-rule-change-finalized-in-last-days-of-trump-administration/article_1fc1a5eb-a56a-5aa9-8b8b-37000c0769b4.html

Once Biden gets around to reversing Trump EOs gutting environmental reviews you’ll really squirm. 

And lol re dictatorial rule. Trump issues more EOs in a 4-year term than any other President.

Hmm....after the Capitol riots I seemed to recall Trump’s supporters stating but what about Antita and BLM.  That’s called deflection.  

Which where in any post I’ve ever made have I supported a Trump executive order? In fact, where have I ever indicated support for Trump? And how is what Trump did in the least bit relevant to whether the Biden administration believes in separation of powers or believes in totalitarian rule? 

Deflection.  That’s a poor defense in my opinion.  

10 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Please see my original post. 

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Please see my original post. 

Yea it’s pretty simple.  You either believe in separation of powers or you don’t.  Unfortunately for my views, it appears most would prefer to consolidate power in the executive and to follow models established in North Korea, China, Russia, nazi Germany, Mussolini Italy and the like.