Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

The Nuthugger Redemption Thread

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It’s cheaper because it’s not an essential good.   The demand curve for LASIK is not nearly vertical.   By the way to further my point look at the prices of comparable procedures in Animal Health and human health.  Both have regulation but one is a true market and one is not.  

So answer my question.  You would really prefer a completely unregulated market where companies could make any claim regardless of its truth or actual safety?  

Is it all or nothing? I think government has gone too far, yes, but I'm not advocating laissez-faire. I think that we could do with less regulation instead of new ones every time someone says "There ought to be a law!"

We've gone far enough. We need to go back.

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

13 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Is it all or nothing? I think government has gone too far, yes, but I'm not advocating laissez-faire. I think that we could do with less regulation instead of new ones every time someone says "There ought to be a law!"

We've gone far enough. We need to go back.

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

Of course not and yes I would agree with your statement.  But reducing regulation isn’t going to impact the vertical demand curve issue.  That issue is a fundamental market structure problem.  It’s simply in the companies interest to pursue sole source strategies and then price accordingly.  

29 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Of course not and yes I would agree with your statement.  But reducing regulation isn’t going to impact the vertical demand curve issue.  That issue is a fundamental market structure problem.  It’s simply in the companies interest to pursue sole source strategies and then price accordingly.  

If you increase the supply then price will go down. Yes, medical care is an inelastic good/service and people must buy it no matter the price. That doesn't mean that the price must be high. Barriers to entering the market as a competitor prevent others from attempting to enjoy high profits from high prices. If it were easier to enter the market, we would see more competing providers, thus driving the supply up and the price downward.

One common argument for CON laws is that they benefit the patient by keeping healthcare costs low, which they are presumed to do by preventing overinvestment in technology and capital. But commonsense economics suggests that CON laws restrict competition and set up barriers to entry in the healthcare industry. Because of the costly application process, fewer providers will have access to the targeted scanning technologies than would have had access in the absence of the laws.

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/corporate-welfare/barriers-entry-healthcare-markets

The Future of Healthcare: “We need to lower the barriers to entry as well as costs of becoming medical providers” with Dr. David R. Koepsell

By making routine and even emergency care more affordable, by fewer barriers to entry for practitioners, routine care is not discouraged and people are able to better afford health maintenance. As well, overbilling and the availability of insurance and monopolization are preventing free market principles from keeping costs down for those who lack insurance. In a truly free market for health care, with lower barriers to entry and less manipulation of prices due to governmentally-enabled monopolies, both healthcare costs and outcomes would improve.

https://medium.com/authority-magazine/the-future-of-healthcare-we-need-to-wisely-lower-the-barriers-to-entry-and-costs-of-becoming-f2fd6e55ac9

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

You Boomers? I was born in 1981 lol

ok boomer

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

The executive order...the single greatest threat to our system of checks and balances.  It has become the chosen tool to legislate for republicans and democrats alike.  The legislature is supposed to pass laws and the executive enforce them.  Both parties have turned the executive order into a tool for making laws without legislative consent.

It’s not a “tool to legislate.” It’s a tool to implement policy in the absence of legislation or, in the case of Trump’s wall, a tool to implement policy that is at odds with legislation. The problem IMO is not as much overreach by the Executive Branch as it is failure by the Legislature to legislate. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

You Boomers? I was born in 1981 lol

I mis-read brother somehow. Thought it said your son WAS deployed to danger. Either way, you mention your son and his children like you have an adult son and are a grand parent. You come off sounding like a boomer. Maybe finD people your own age to hang around with. That way you can drop the boomer-tude. Ok, boomer?

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I mis-read brother somehow. Thought it said your son WAS deployed to danger. Either way, you mention your son and his children like you have an adult son and are a grand parent. You come off sounding like a boomer. Maybe finD people your own age to hang around with. That way you can drop the boomer-tude. Ok, boomer?

jon stewart middle finger GIF

35 minutes ago, CV147 said:

jon stewart middle finger GIF

Lol. Okay, young boomer.

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

29! You sure are opinionated for a kid. 

Meh, I am well read and educated and converse with my boomer friends and my zenial friends.

It's not my fault I can research, cite peer reviewed papers off the top of my head pertaining to common issues, and laugh at old people with narrow minds.

Eight pages in and not a single cameo from @Bob

I was worried for a minute, but realized he must be alt right, I mean, all reich, err, I mean, all right.

He's probably cashed in on his sweet 'qanon' promo code on the MeinPillow guy's website by now and is resting comfortably, clicking his ruby red Crocs together three times in between refreshing the OAN homepage to see if Biden's been arrested yet. :whistle:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

Eight pages in and not a single cameo from @Bob

I was worried for a minute, but realized he must be alt right, I mean, all reich, err, I mean, all right.

He's probably cashed in on his sweet 'qanon' promo code on the MeinPillow guy's website by now and is resting comfortably, clicking his ruby red Crocs together three times in between refreshing the OAN homepage to see if Biden's been arrested yet. :whistle:

In defense of @Bob.  I rip on him all the time but he and I DM about the things we both love.  He never lets me making fun of him on this board take away from what we both enjoy.  He has shared with me some fishing tips for his neck of the woods, which is a great trust, and I have done the same.  We have talked a lot about fishing, family and the stuff that makes life worth living outside of politics.

And he never lets the fact I make fun of his political beliefs interfere with  that bond.

Really hoping to go fishing with him sometime soon.

6 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

In US v. Midwest Oil, Congress had  previously legislated that the public lands be open for oil and gas development.  The President at the time didn't like this because he feared the government would run out of oil.  So he decided to issue an executive order to unilaterally withdraw 100s of thousands of acres of lands in CA and WY from oil and gas development...despite the fact that Congress had specifically legislated that the federal lands be open for oil and gas development.  The Supreme Court upheld the executive order.  What we had was Congress passing a law, the President not liking the law Congress had passed and issuing his own executive order to do the exact opposite that Congress had legislated.  Which begs the question, if Congress' laws don't matter and the President can just pass whatever executive orders he so desires, why have a Congress??

Trump used the executive order for purposes that also did not follow the laws passed by Congress.  So did Obama. Biden is on the verge of doing exactly the same thing as Midwest Oil by issuing an executive order putting a moratorium on oil and gas development on federal lands despite the fact that Congress adopted and passed the Mineral Leasing Act which specifically provides for oil and gas development on federal lands.

Once again, some like dictators.  I don't. The courts already established dangerous precedent in US v. Midwest Oil that provides little ability to challenge the executive order.  And so continues the march to a dictator. 

So, the law was old and the Navy, concerned about the fleet's fuel supply, convinced the president that it was in the national interest to withhold lands, which hadn't yet been claimed, until congress could pass a new law. Which they did shortly thereafter. 

I'm haven't studied law. How did I do with the basics?

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Boomers have ruined this country. Damn you for lumping me in with the "What do I get?" generation.

I'm the furthest thing from them.

Anyway